• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just wondering I did not have any spent 223 casings around and I needed one. So I took a cartridge extracted the projectile emptied the powder out and sub merged the case in water for a few minutes.

Then we went out side with the Mini 14 chamber the case, pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger, then low and behold my wife indicated there was a small pop.

Now I have a dummy round. But really how much water does it take to ruin a round. Even though I understood the primer could go off i was really surprised that it actually did! Just goes to show you it never hurts to take precautions.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I can't remember the you tube video but they used water to thin out primer compound before packing it into new primer cups.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    As others have said it takes oil or simply firing the primer.

It's also possible that the primer was air locked and never got wet.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Best bet is to ALWAYS fire the primer if it is in a brass.

There was an article I read several years ago dedicated to reloaders that pertained to methods to make primers inert. It was written to determine what material ~ water, oil etc. and how long the primers had to be immersed before being "de-activated". The results were quite surprising to me. Some were still functional after days!

Almost every re-loader does have to deal with this if he does a lot of reloading especially as some primers will not feed properly and become deformed in subsequent operations.

Primers are actually one of the most dangerous items reloaders handle. I have seen some primers stored loose in glass jars, this is an accident waiting to happen. They can and have gone off when a container is dropped and then the entire lot explodes! NEVER store primers in anything but the original container. They are designed to keep them separated and safe from impact.

I have buried some, burned some in small quantities in a campfire (from a safe distance) and have never accumulated a quantity in my reloading area..

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As others have said it takes oil or simply firing the primer.

It's also possible that the primer was air locked and never got wet.

That would be my guess. The flash hole is small enough to trap air bubbles. you'd pressure or mechanical assistance to break the surface tension and actually wet the primer.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Best bet is to ALWAYS fire the primer if it is in a brass.

There was an article I read several years ago dedicated to reloaders that pertained to methods to make primers inert. It was written to determine what material ~ water, oil etc. and how long the primers had to be immersed before being "de-activated". The results were quite surprising to me. Some were still functional after days!

Almost every re-loader does have to deal with this if he does a lot of reloading especially as some primers will not feed properly and become deformed in subsequent operations.

Primers are actually one of the most dangerous items reloaders handle. I have seen some primers stored loose in glass jars, this is an accident waiting to happen. They can and have gone off when a container is dropped and then the entire lot explodes! NEVER store primers in anything but the original container. They are designed to keep them separated and safe from impact.

I have buried some, burned some in small quantities in a campfire (from a safe distance) and have never accumulated a quantity in my reloading area..

I've never even seen a picture of an un-armed primer exploding from being dropped, its a little different when primers are punched out of cases because the primers anvil has been seated..The two demilling business's that I have been in drop primers punched from cases into a bucket of oil to make them inert.

The same when brass that has inert primers in them from being de-milled, The cases are dark brown from being dropped in oil.
    When Talon was in business they sold **** tons on primer inert brass that was dark brown. I believe DOD will not allow the de-millers to sell live primers from uncle sams stockpile.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Why would u soak it in water and fire it.? Why not just fire it?

It was the MouseBuster in me I wanted to see if the primer would still work. I could have taken the 4 wheeler out to the Range and put one in the backstop, but it was getting dark so I just extracted the projectile, and emptied the powder.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    If I read the original post correctly you said your wife told you there was a “pop.” Just a question - are you deaf ? Why would your wife need to make you aware the primer had detonated ?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    If I read the original post correctly you said your wife told you there was a “pop.” Just a question - are you deaf ? Why would your wife need to make you aware the primer had detonated ?

I will put this way the only reasons I wear hearing protection are, want to set a good example eyes and ears, and when we go to the State run Range they have asked me to so as to not get the he does not have hearing protection on. Funny thing is when someone is shooting a long gun with a Muzzle break I can feel the air movement.

Top Bottom