• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just wondering yesterday we went to a public range, first time ever. There were a lot of AR rifles there. There was a guy next lane over that had what appeared to be a large caliber. Every time he fired it you could feel a rush of air movement. Would the flash suppressor cause that? He appeared to be sighting in his red dot. And I am guessing the rounds were pricey. As he fired 5 rounds , and then started shooting a 223.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    A flash suppressor, not so much. A muzzle brake was the most likely culprit.

Yep! Muzzle breaks come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, but they all work essentially the same way. They take the gasses from the fired round and they redirect them to the left and right in a rearward direction to partially compensate for the recoil of the firearm. They don't tend to bother the shooter much. But for the people next them, it's normally not a fun time.

Here are a couple of videos.....

[video=youtube;Yb5nOjqvwI8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb5nOjqvwI8[/video]

[video=youtube;4P8vAVeERLE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P8vAVeERLE[/video]

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Yep! Muzzle breaks come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, but they all work essentially the same way. They take the gasses from the fired round and they redirect them to the left and right in a rearward direction to partially compensate for the recoil of the firearm. They don't tend to bother the shooter much. But for the people next them, it's normally not a fun time.

Thank you. I t was just weird every time I felt it, I tried to pay attention to him pulling trigger and feeling the pressure and it seemed as if there was a direct correlation. According to my wife it was extremely loud as well.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Thank you. I t was just weird every time I felt it, I tried to pay attention to him pulling trigger and feeling the pressure and it seemed as if there was a direct correlation. According to my wife it was extremely loud as well.

A normal A2 flash hider you'll notice over nothing. If you aren't used to the caliber (ie you usually shoot pistols or 22s) you'll notice it even without a flash hider/brake.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Muzzle break for sure. I threw a muzzle break on my ar10 308. Definitely don’t wanna shoot that thing without ear protection!

Definitely wear hearing protection.
    I had a chance to fire a 50 cal BMG with mussel brake, recoil suppressor.
    I had ear muffs on.
    The first shot was AOK.
    My right muff slipped back as I sighted in and got ready to fire.
    Second shot.
    It felt like someone hit my ear with a sludge hammer.
    Years later and I still have the bad effects.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    As for a flash suppressor.
    I mounted one on my M1 Gurand.
    I took it out on a moonless night.
    I set up video cameras.
    W/O big flash.
    With could not see any flash.

Top Bottom