I want to Supprt my local gun store but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I was looking for a BCM charging handle and some anti rotation pins (KNS or similar). Two shops I stopped in didn’t have any anti rotation pins and they either had a no name $8 charging handle or ones that went of over $90.

The other shop had both items but at $27 over the cost I could get them shipped online, $80 delivered plus tax. The tax is not it issue for me, but paying over 25% more of the two items is crazy.

I get get that they have to make a buck, but that’s a pretty salty markup.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    One thing to remember is the amout of parts available for AR's. It's a metric buttload. They stock what the think or know will sell and what they can make a profit on.

Here's what I (try) to do. I have 3 local shops I use. I'll almost always see if they have what I want in stock. If they don't have it, and can't or won't order it, I'll buy it online. If it's way over priced, I'll ask if they can do better on the price. "You have $75 on this. I can get it shipped to me for $45. Can we meet in the middle somewhere? I'd rather give you, my local shop, my money." If they say no, oh well. You asked. Buy a box of ammo and head out.

Chances are they will have something you need for a decent price. Support them that way.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    There is absolutely no reason to support small biz anymore. I get everything on-line. Shaving stuff, shoes, jeans, cleaning stuff, even groceries and bags of charcoal. It's wonderful!

So nice to quickly hit send on the phone and move forward with life AND its cheaper.

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    There is absolutely no reason to support small biz anymore. I get everything on-line. Shaving stuff, shoes, jeans, cleaning stuff, even groceries and bags of charcoal. It's wonderful!

So nice to quickly hit send on the phone and move forward with life AND its cheaper.

I also take advantage of the convenience of online shopping often at a better price but saying there is no reason to support small businesses is a pretty dumb statement. Not sure where your from but coming from a small community with very little industry, small businesses supports a big part of my county.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Online retailers can't ship good conversation, history and ice cold Dr. Peppers. I think they may have you when it comes to printer paper though. ;)

If there was a shop like that around me, I'd be okay spending a bit extra. Within reason of course, I have bills to pay too. I like four guns in Lafayette for that. There's some good guys there.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Stopped by a LGS over the holidays and they were complaining about sales... Used case almost empty, reloading supplies- thin. Come on guys you want me to stop by and buy something- have something. It aint hard.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I shop online a lot, but I can't expect a LGS to stock many antiques. It's just not what most folks want and they have to stock what most people want.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I shop online a lot, but I can't expect a LGS to stock many antiques. It's just not what most folks want and they have to stock what most people want.

Around here they don't really even try to stock what people want. Most shops around here remind me of a pawn shop or Goodwill, their entire inventory is just what happens to come through the door. And the ones that do make efforts to increase their inventory are awful proud of what they have, if you catch my meaning.

patriot574

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2018
    Warsaw
    I never buy any firearms, accessories, or ammo at my local stores any more. The prices are just to much of a difference, plus sometimes I can skip out on tax and just pay a $20 ffl. I would love to support small business but I'm trying to fill my safe and bank account not someone else.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My LGS is just re opening after a several month hiatus. They did, and do, suffer from lack of inventory itis. However, they did order some ammo for me today, and their inventory is now down one MVP.
    For a smaller statured man like me, it's a nice fitting rifle.
    But then again, most boys or bantam long arms feel better on my shoulder.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was looking for a BCM charging handle and some anti rotation pins (KNS or similar). Two shops I stopped in didn’t have any anti rotation pins and they either had a no name $8 charging handle or ones that went of over $90.

The other shop had both items but at $27 over the cost I could get them shipped online, $80 delivered plus tax. The tax is not it issue for me, but paying over 25% more of the two items is crazy.

I get get that they have to make a buck, but that’s a pretty salty markup.

I can only say that if you knew what it took to keep the lights on this would not even phase you.
    I understand looking for the deal but there is a convenience attached here as well. From my generating business by referral and doing a lot of buying at a handful of LGS I have not only generated a network but some serious friendships. Those dollars spent have repaid me times over.
    Noyt every LGS will fit your needs/desires/personality. That is all part of networking.

It has worked very well for me. I still but a lot of parts on line because the stores just can not stock everything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I also take advantage of the convenience of online shopping often at a better price but saying there is no reason to support small businesses is a pretty dumb statement. Not sure where your from but coming from a small community with very little industry, small businesses supports a big part of my county.

Bingo.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I continue to support my LGS back in my old hometown a lot.
    His gun prices are better than I can get in Indy, and he'll order most any gun I want at a fair price.
    His ammo prices are decent too.

BUT I still order other things online too.
    It just a matter of knowing over time what's best to buy from him and what to order myself.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Sadly, most small retail businesses do not employ a psychic to predict the exact item each and every potential customer wants. They stock the stuff they are pretty sure they can move rather than loading their shelves with items they might have to sit on for months. How inconsiderate of them to not sell me exactly what I want at a price they can't buy it for!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sadly, most small retail businesses do not employ a psychic to predict the exact item each and every potential customer wants. They stock the stuff they are pretty sure they can move rather than loading their shelves with items they might have to sit on for months. How inconsiderate of them to not sell me exactly what I want at a price they can't buy it for!

lol this, but with a caveat. Sure, if I walk into a store and demand a box of .38 S&W, not Special, they may or may not have it on the shelf. If I walk in and demand an entire case of .44 Special, they may not have that. The gun industry caters to the instant gratification mindset, but the locals have lost out when it comes to fulfilling these with the prevalence of the internet. So they stock what THEY think will sell and that's the rub: A lot, not all, but most gun store owners I've talked to or worked with are VERY out of touch with their local community. Just stock guns and the newest doodad and their loyal clientele will buy, but the average joe walk in would not.

I fought with one owner at a now closed shop in OH that I worked in part time to keep a box of .38 Super on the shelf one time, two boxes actually. He sold them on Gunbroker for half of what he had in them, two days later, bam, someone walks in, "I could use a couple boxes of .38 Super if you have them..." lol Have some odds and ends. I understand not having every single caliber on the planet. No need to stock .220 Swift, 7-30 Waters, .257 Ackley Improved, some odd end WSSM, etc... Someone comes in and asks for a weird ammo, then runs to the internet to get huffy because we didn't have a box or an entire case of .17 Eargesplittenloudenboomer on the shelf, in flat base mind you, not boat tail, they aren't going to be a good customer anyway. But at least keep something that has some prevalence in the shooting community on the shelf. We don't need four different kinds of Taurus Judge oriented .410 ammo but don't have a single box of .44 Special on the shelf.

But, if you're a larger store (cornerstone of the community type), it should be expected you have at least a few AR lower build kits around the shop or small parts kits for ARs so when someone comes in and needs a castle nut, end plates, detent springs, or detent, you can be the hero. I've walked into shops that were the ONLY one in the county, with a range, with a gunsmith and would not sell a detent, instead, 'we can order one'. Not out of stock, just trying to sell an entire LPK for twice shipped price online or genuinely do not want to keep them stocked. THOSE are the ones that REALLY confuse me... If I walk in, that $1.50 shipped to you detent can be worth $5 for convenience alone to me. I would pay that if I shot mine across the room one afternoon. Nope, just met with, "well, we have a single Stag LPK, no stock or anything, for $130..."

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

When buying online is all you do, buying online is all you'll have.

Top Bottom