• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    I have a CCW licence and am 19. I know it's legal to buy a handgun from a private party at 18 but can I have a Kentucky resident who is a regular individual transfer me a handgun at an FFl at 19?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Nope. That would basiclly be the same as buying on from a FFL. You would have to fill out a 4473 for a handgun. Can't do that legally until you're 21.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Nope (unless you also live in Kentucky, in which case you still need to avoid the FFL).

You will have to source the handgun you want from an individual who resides in the same state as you do

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    As above have stated, nope. Which sucks. A lot of people dont want to sell to those under 21 too, in a private sale. Absolutely stupid law in my opinion. State will issue a ltch at 18 but make you go thru the so called "loopholes" to buy. Id suggest hitting the classifieds here and some gunshows. Good luck to you!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As above have stated, nope. Which sucks. A lot of people dont want to sell to those under 21 too, in a private sale. Absolutely stupid law in my opinion. State will issue a ltch at 18 but make you go thru the so called "loopholes" to buy. Id suggest hitting the classifieds here and some gunshows. Good luck to you!

Federal law controls the transfer via an FFL...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    your parents could "purchase" it, fill out the paperwork (from the Indiana dealer) and give it to you as a present

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yep. You have enough posts to participate in the classifieds, so you can post a WTB thread in the appropriate subforum.
    This is what I was going to suggest. I'd be sure to include your age and the fact that you have your LTCH in your WTB ad. Some people are pretty hardline about not selling a handgun to anyone under 21, which I don't understand but it's not my business.
    your parents could "purchase" it, fill out the paperwork (from the Indiana dealer) and give it to you as a present
    Very gray area here. It's technically a straw purchase if you're paying for it. On the other hand, I don't see anything wrong with being specific when they ask what you want for your birthday, Christmas, or just celebrating it being Monday.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi

ffl's have to consider this a straw purchase if they are aware of the situation. This could lead to a lot of trouble if the wrong person is present or whatever. Be smart. Private sale in the state you reside in and let the seller aware of your age as a courtesy.
    If nothing else, I got this hi point. Lnib never been shot, I'll let it go for $399. It even has a promag 20 round high capacity clip.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is what I was going to suggest. I'd be sure to include your age and the fact that you have your LTCH in your WTB ad. Some people are pretty hardline about not selling a handgun to anyone under 21, which I don't understand but it's not my business.

Very gray area here. It's technically a straw purchase if you're paying for it. On the other hand, I don't see anything wrong with being specific when they ask what you want for your birthday, Christmas, or just celebrating it being Monday.

Funny thing is that there really is no Grey or Technically as it pertains to Federal Law. A parent can purchase and gift a firearm to a child. Incidently this also applies to people over 21. So if you are reading this Dad, there is a CZ Shawdow 2 at the shop that is purty.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ffl's have to consider this a straw purchase if they are aware of the situation. This could lead to a lot of trouble if the wrong person is present or whatever.

Well said.

It may be a gray area to some, but it's unfair to the dealer - you're putting them at risk (and your parents, and yourself).

If it's a true gift (with no suspicious quotes), then you're GTG.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    so how will the gun shop know its a straw purchase? ive had parents come into the shop and buy guns (with a child present) is that a straw purchase?... the logic you posted is that I shouldn't sell crickets to parents, cause its a straw purchase! again how will the shop know?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    so how will the gun shop know its a straw purchase? ive had parents come into the shop and buy guns (with a child present) is that a straw purchase?... the logic you posted is that I shouldn't sell crickets to parents, cause its a straw purchase! again how will the shop know?

Did you know the child was paying for the gun?

Don't answer that question.

If you run a shop, then I'm pretty sure the ATF has provided you with resources on recognizing straw purchases and how how to deal with them, no?

Oh - there's straw purchases and strawman arguments; and parents buying Crickets is the latter.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Once again refer to my previous post. If the ffl suspects a straw sale, they are legally supposed to deny the sale regardless of 4473 results. You can get away with it until the wrong person is around. That is pretty black and white on a situation that is dependent on subjective judgment of the seller.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

My understanding is this:

Buying a gun for someone who can't legally do so themself- straw purchase.

Buying a gun because you want to gift it- good to go.

The difference is whose money it is.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/atf-p-5300-4pdf/download

Where a person purchases a firearm with the intent of making a gift of the firearm to another person, the person making the purchase is indeed the true purchaser. There is no straw purchaser
    in these instances. In the above example, if Mr. Jones had bought a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Smith as a birthday present, Mr. Jones could lawfully have completed Form 4473.
    The use of gift certificates would also not fall within the category of straw purchases. The person redeeming the gift certificate would be the actual purchaser of the firearm and would be properly reflected as such in the dealer's records.

Top Bottom