• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Schools in Iowa and South Dakota will soon offer Hunter Education in school, teaching kids about firearm safety

BISMARCK, N.D. - Schools in Iowa and South Dakota will soon offer Hunter Education in school, teaching kids about firearm safety, Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock High school in North Dakota offered a similar course since 1979.

The training guns have been modified so they can't fire, and the ammunition contains no gunpowder. The actions and safeties all work, so kids can get used to safely handling firearms.

"Even if they never hunt, just so that they know if they ever come across a gun they know kind of about the gun and where the safeties are at and how they should handle it and what to look for whether it's loaded or unloaded," said instructor Burns Bailey.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Some schools are currently doing hunter ed in schools here in Indiana. I teach at Northridge MS in Montgomery Co. We offer a class during a "Bonus" period at the end of the school day. This is optional and kids sign up. I teach the class, along with ICOs. They bring in the guns and ammo on different days.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some schools are currently doing hunter ed in schools here in Indiana. I teach at Northridge MS in Montgomery Co. We offer a class during a "Bonus" period at the end of the school day. This is optional and kids sign up. I teach the class, along with ICOs. They bring in the guns and ammo on different days.

It'd sure be great to get a video of this. Maybe a coordination of the school and IDNR? That'd spread like wildfire...

... heck, we'd spread it like wildfire.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Science teacher at Indiana public school (high school) taught it after class.
    Of course this was about 40 yrs ago.

Heard some school still teach it, after school or during (the latter as an elective).

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The daughters of the couple who run the hunting lodge where we shoot p dogs in SD could have taught the class by the time they were 12. They were also operating high dollar farm equipment by that age. They caught live rattlesnakes for fun. Different world out there!

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    When I was in 6th grade we had hunters ed in school, in Medora Indiana. As I recall it was during the normal school day, this was back in the mid 90's.

Top Bottom