• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I am thinking about trying to purchase a shotgun from an out of state seller. With the assumption the seller will require the gun be shipped a gun shop that will complete the transfer I am wondering what I should/can expect to pay as a fee for this service ?

Am I correct in thinking I will need to send the seller a copy of the gun dealer’s FFL license ?

Thanks in advance

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    For the private out of state sale of a shotgun, he mails or ships it to your ffl. You pick it up at your ffl. That keeps it legal. I always ask my ffl if he's able to receive and give him a heads up. He also emails a copy of his license to the dealer if I'm buying from a dealer.

DataGeek19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Unless you have a dealer you spend a lot of $$$ with I would call around to see who will give you the best offer. If you are a loyal customer some ffl’s will waive a fee for an occasional transfer.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I pay $25, but it's impossible to beat the convenience of my guy. He let me pick up my last purchase at 10:45 PM.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've seen charges as low as $15 and as high as $50. Where are you located and I'm sure someone can point you to a proper place with better rates.

Yep, need to know location.

My preferred is US Defense Solutions (they have recently increased to $20 for cash, when they used to be $15 for cash). I drive past a lot of FFLs to get there, because they provide good service, for a good price.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've got it lucky. I have a friend who is an ffl out of his house. He charges me $10. Biggest problem, if you can call it that, is he's almost an hour drive each way, but i can shoot my new purchase right there on his property which is a huge benefit.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Yep, need to know location.

My preferred is US Defense Solutions (they have recently increased to $20 for cash, when they used to be $15 for cash). I drive past a lot of FFLs to get there, because they provide good service, for a good price.
    Thank you WS and we are also open 7 days a week...just saying.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Seriously, I haven't paid a transfer fee for the last dozen or so purchases.
    I have at least two FFL's that will do my transfers for free, but we've been friends for years.
    They scratch my back and I scratch theirs...

I simply started going into the shops and offering my help, as well as patronizing their respective businesses.
    When I saw an opportunity to make theirs lives a little easier, I offered my assistance.
    I also sent many people into their shops, and they let the owners know who sent them.

One of my FFL's goes to great lengths to try to get me the best deals possible, often offering me purchases at his cost!
    On a recent purchase he was trying hard to keep the cost as low as he could. He told me his price, then told me my price.
    When he rang up the sale I had to remind him to charge me sales tax!

I've never felt like I've gone out of my way to please these guys. I do for them the same as I would for a neighbor, but they both appreciate and value the friendship.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, you are gonna think I am a nut. With all the internet sales and such eating into the bottom line on so many shops, I pay them for the transfer even if they don't charge me.

Cheap price for a place to go and see a smiling face with the doors still open and the lights on.

It won't break me but could make life less stressful for them. And I have been blessed with some great shop owners also.

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    Third for USDS. Chad and Eric are are great guys and are sure to help out if you have a question or need to see anything. You get to visit with Monty and GiGi if they are both working as well. Stop in if you are ever near County line and 37 and check them out if you have never been.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    2nd on USDS , great place and great guys

Make that 4th USDS, they actually seem to appreciate the business unlike other shops that treat you like a leper for wanting to do a transfer. Most of the things I'm interested in are nearly impossible to find locally so its important to have a LGS that is willing and happy to do a transfer. There are other good ones in the area but none make it more convenient than USDS.

Top Bottom