• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    We were discussing home defense situations. What guns, lights, etc and someone asked how many of us have hearing protection? Out of the 5 of us, he was the only one that has electronic ear protection on his night stand.

I rarely shoot at indoor ranges but when I do, I use earplugs and ear muffs. Shots fired inside a house are just as loud. Without ear protection you are deprived of your hearing in a stressful situation.

Does anyone else have ear muffs next to their home defense weapon?

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I do not. I have really never thought of it that way to be honest. Not trying to sound rude but the last thing im thinking about if someone breaks into my home is my ear protection.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I do not. I have really never thought of it that way to be honest. Not trying to sound rude but the last thing im thinking about if someone breaks into my home is my ear protection.

I never thought of it either. Though now I do have them ready. I use electronic ones that allow normal conversation but lower the gun shot sound.

Will I actually use them, I don't know. i

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Yes, several reasons in fact, my primary Home Defense weapon is an LWCR IC-Di loaded with 77gr Mk262 really nasty and high pressure rounds. Shooting a carbing indoors is increadibly loud plus I use electronic ear pro, I have a dedicated set of MS Sordins hanging with my rifle by my bed so it only takes a second to put on. Plus the electronic ear pro makes you hear WAY better (at least with the good pairs) giving you another advantage over your adversary.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    We were discussing home defense situations. What guns, lights, etc and someone asked how many of us have hearing protection? Out of the 5 of us, he was the only one that has electronic ear protection on his night stand.

I rarely shoot at indoor ranges but when I do, I use earplugs and ear muffs. Shots fired inside a house are just as loud. Without ear protection you are deprived of your hearing in a stressful situation.

Does anyone else have ear muffs next to their home defense weapon?

Sounds like 1 of the 5 may lose the fight. Unless the perp is a decent person and gives plenty of time for preparation.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sounds like 1 of the 5 may lose the fight. Unless the perp is a decent person and gives plenty of time for preparation.

Not every home defense situation requires one to go wandering around the home looking for a gun fight. Some do require a defender to leave a room to go check on other family members, but many don't.

If you can sit tight in a locked bedroom, gun trained on the door, you will most likely have time to slip on a pair of muffs.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Not every home defense situation requires one to go wandering around the home looking for a gun fight. Some do require a defender to leave a room to go check on other family members, but many don't.

If you can sit tight in a locked bedroom, gun trained on the door, you will most likely have time to slip on a pair of muffs.

Yes every situation is different. My wife is usually in bed with me downstairs with our son upstairs. So I'm not waiting on the perp, I'm coming out. Plus there is a good chance I'll be naked. The surprise factor alone will give me a huge advantage. I'm coming out swingin' and slingin' :rockwoot:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in the day when I sold guns, everybody wanted a .357 magnum. Good revolvers, but I recommended that they go to an indoor shooting range so they understood how loud they are in an enclosed space and how bright the muzzle flash can be. Better to not to be surprised by that when you need to use the gun.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I don't see what it hurts to have muffs handy. If you have time to put them on, then great. If you don't, you don't. I do like the idea of a suppressed 300 BO, but would be Leary of using it in a self defense situation. I guess it's a balance between saving your hearing and potentially losing a suppressor and possibly SBR.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't see what it hurts to have muffs handy. If you have time to put them on, then great. If you don't, you don't. I do like the idea of a suppressed 300 BO, but would be Leary of using it in a self defense situation. I guess it's a balance between saving your hearing and potentially losing a suppressor and possibly SBR.

What’s left of my (and my family’s) hearing is far more important than any $500 AR pistol or $800 suppressor I may or may not get back if I need to use it to defend my family.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've got an infant and a pregnant wife. My shorty5 (45acp) ar15 keeps a can on and lives with me in the house. If i lose it for a while after a self defense situation, then another sbr with my rifle can will fill in. We don't have a communal bedroom so I'm definitely working to my daughter. There is no way she is going to be able to don hearing protection so I'll put an investment gun to the task without thinking twice. Anything to protect my family.

1xl85Hk.jpg

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have a can on my HD carbine to help with the sound damages for the rest of the family.

Have a .300 BO built for the job but still not comfortable with it enough to swap it with the 5.56. Doubt that I would use a subsonic round in it because the ballistics just aren't there, at least not yet.

Do have a set of electronics that I planned to put next to the carbine if time permitted. Sadly I have yet to do it, or practice donning them in a hurry.

CENTURIATOR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2018
    Saint Louis
    I have active hearing protection muffs sitting right with my weapon. Throw 'em on, power up and you can hear much better indoors with them on and you will not disorient yourself with muzzle blast should it come to that. It's not complicated. Or don't. Audio occlusion is a real thing, but that doesn't mean you won't be deaf instantly and do much permanent damage to your hearing. Whatever, no point in trying to convince a person one way or the other on an issue like this. To each his own.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have thought about that but will agree with the majority - I'd be too anxious to think about it. Along the same lines, how many people actually practice (range) without their prescription glasses? In an anxious moment, would you put your glasses on first or just pick up your weapon and check it out? I've never practiced without my glasses but I might try and see what I can do. Anyone else?

Top Bottom