Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Hearing protection for home defense

We were discussing home defense situations. What guns, lights, etc and someone asked how many of us have hearing protection? Out of the 5 of us, he was the only one that has electronic ear protection on his night stand.

I rarely shoot at indoor ranges but when I do, I use earplugs and ear muffs. Shots fired inside a house are just as loud. Without ear protection you are deprived of your hearing in a stressful situation.

Does anyone else have ear muffs next to their home defense weapon?
    Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex.

User Info Menu

I do not. I have really never thought of it that way to be honest. Not trying to sound rude but the last thing im thinking about if someone breaks into my home is my ear protection.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sparky32 View Post
    I do not. I have really never thought of it that way to be honest. Not trying to sound rude but the last thing im thinking about if someone breaks into my home is my ear protection.
    I never thought of it either. Though now I do have them ready. I use electronic ones that allow normal conversation but lower the gun shot sound.

Will I actually use them, I don't know. i
    Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex.

User Info Menu

Yes, several reasons in fact, my primary Home Defense weapon is an LWCR IC-Di loaded with 77gr Mk262 really nasty and high pressure rounds. Shooting a carbing indoors is increadibly loud plus I use electronic ear pro, I have a dedicated set of MS Sordins hanging with my rifle by my bed so it only takes a second to put on. Plus the electronic ear pro makes you hear WAY better (at least with the good pairs) giving you another advantage over your adversary.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Dude, from what I can tell from your photos, you don't do anything bargin bin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers1919 View Post
    We were discussing home defense situations. What guns, lights, etc and someone asked how many of us have hearing protection? Out of the 5 of us, he was the only one that has electronic ear protection on his night stand.

I rarely shoot at indoor ranges but when I do, I use earplugs and ear muffs. Shots fired inside a house are just as loud. Without ear protection you are deprived of your hearing in a stressful situation.

Does anyone else have ear muffs next to their home defense weapon?
    Sounds like 1 of the 5 may lose the fight. Unless the perp is a decent person and gives plenty of time for preparation.
    It's not my job to blow sunshine up your ass............

User Info Menu

Iím building a 300 Blackout pistol to shoot subsonic ammo suppressed for home defense. The whole family canít put muffs on...
    Endowment Member, National Rifle Association; Member, Gun Owners of America; Member, Second Amendment Foundation; Member, Marion County Fish and Game Association; Member, Crawfordsville Gun Club; Member, Revere's Riders; Rifleman, Project Appleseed; Private Pilot, Airplane, Single-Engine Land

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCSR View Post
    Sounds like 1 of the 5 may lose the fight. Unless the perp is a decent person and gives plenty of time for preparation.
    Not every home defense situation requires one to go wandering around the home looking for a gun fight. Some do require a defender to leave a room to go check on other family members, but many don't.

If you can sit tight in a locked bedroom, gun trained on the door, you will most likely have time to slip on a pair of muffs.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Plinker

User Info Menu

A suppressor is another option to consider. Cost of product, cost of stamp, bureaucratic red tape and then your operational nine months later...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Not every home defense situation requires one to go wandering around the home looking for a gun fight. Some do require a defender to leave a room to go check on other family members, but many don't.

If you can sit tight in a locked bedroom, gun trained on the door, you will most likely have time to slip on a pair of muffs.
    Yes every situation is different. My wife is usually in bed with me downstairs with our son upstairs. So I'm not waiting on the perp, I'm coming out. Plus there is a good chance I'll be naked. The surprise factor alone will give me a huge advantage. I'm coming out swingin' and slingin'
    It's not my job to blow sunshine up your ass............

User Info Menu

Electronic muffs could provide an advantage. Mine also amplify normal sounds.

Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast