• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I know semi autos can have issues with steel case ammo. We were picking up ammo for tomorrow and noticed 308 steel case for $9.97 we still opted for the Winchester brass, but still wondering if steel case would be ok for target practice in a bolt action?

Thanks

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I know semi autos can have issues with steel case ammo. We were picking up ammo for tomorrow and noticed 308 steel case for $9.97 we still opted for the Winchester brass, but still wondering if steel case would be ok for target practice in a bolt action?

Thanks

Steel expands when the barrel starts getting hot. I haven't had an ar that likes it. The casings get stuck or cause gouges. For a bolt gun, personally I wouldn't want to risk it but I never tried it.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Buddy with an AR10 spent butt loads of time removing (from the chamber) cheap steel cased shells that ripped in two.......Hornady makes some steel cased "mstch" stuff.....it did not shot or exstract well from a bolt gun.....my thoughts.....unless you have a rifle that was designed to shoot steel cases (sks,ak...ect) stick with brass cased.....you will be happier in the end

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a case and it ran fine in my Spanish Guardia so I tried it in my M1A. The M1A didn't care for it much and broke the extractor at 80 rounds. Probably would have broken anyway being a Springfield, but not as early in life if I had stuck with brass.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom