• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    What guns have you found popular when you take new shooters to the range? What guns do the new shooters actually ENJOY shooting and want to keep shooting?

Along with 22's, I'm looking for an intermediate between 22 and 9, like a soft-shooting 9.

In taking new shooters to the range, the Ruger 22/45 is usually very popular. It's just easy to shoot well. I'm thinking about adding a M&P-22 to compliment the Ruger and feel closer to a centerfire gun. Revolvers with extra light 38(maybe 700fps) get mixed reviews. My 9mm 1911 is love/hate. Its heavy enough to soak up recoil, but a couple people found the trigger too light(it's probably at/under 3lbs).

Maybe a full-size XD, Glock, or M&P? Compensator?

I'm really light on rifles! 10/22 or CZ452 and then something in 223(usually AR). A lever-gun might be fun. The 10/22-C-more combo was a hit last outing.

Anywho, just curious what more experience people have found when taking new shooters to the range!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I usually take a 10/22 as a starter rifle, although my daughter learned to shoot with an SAR-3.

Talking about the SAR-3, the SAR-2 with the Romanian front sight and brake on it is an excellent intro to long guns as there is virtually no recoil in that puppy.

AR-15 should be there as our news media likes to demonize it, so showing a new shooter that it really isn't evil is usually a big win.

Pistol-wise, I would bring a Beretta 92FS. Yes they are big, but anyone who watches TV or movies has seen that iconic pistol being used.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Soft as a kitten.

E20AD2A7-E131-4E45-BE2D-0E920AECA0C1_zpslgvgxcsn.jpg

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have a variety of 22 handguns and rifles. If they are comfortable with those, we move up to my 9mm Tavor, 300BO AR Pistol and AR15. The most popular tends to be the Tavor. The integrated suppressor plays a large part in that.

Most of the new shooters I have over are from IL. I like to point out that my suppressor on the Tavor was made in their state, yet they cannot own it.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Anybody that starts on something bigger than a 14/22-Short is a moron!(14-caliber rifle anyone!?)

I think we all agree 22's rock. This is about what gun should come after a 22.

How do new shooters like CZ style guns? Steel frame and great trigger, but I'm worried about the tiny slide area. Sometimes weaker hands need a big area to grab. Maybe they have light enough springs?

I totally agree with taking an AR! Make it a reward for good behavior and it demonstrates how not-scary it is. It functions "just like" this 10/22, it shoots this itty bitty round like this bolt-action, etc etc.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a bolt-action, single shot .22 LR/L/S that is a great first rifle. Then, a P22 semi-auto, and a .38 revolver (works great with some light-duty ammo). A 20 Gauge pump shotgun works well for a first shotgun, too. My wife likes that one.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I usually start with a suppressed .22 so we can interact without ear pro. Then a .22 revolver. If they are comfordable moving on I'll either go to a mid sized .32 like a beretta 81 or a full size metal 9mm. Of course a 4" K frame revolver with soft wadcutter loads.

Rifles are often a rimfire AR and either a pistol caliber carbine or a 5.56 AR. I love it when shooting an AR for the first time how most folks are surprised at how mild they are.

Side note, after my 80 yo liberal father shot a pistol for the first time, suppressed Buckmark, he asked why the government made getting suppressors so difficult.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I bought a p226 in 22 and then bought a 9mm barrel for it. It is great with mini mags but finicky with cheaper ammo. No recoil and all the feel of a full size gun. After they have gone through a bunch of mags it is an easy transaction to changing the barrel and shooting 9mm. P238 is a very soft shooting gun for its size. The 10/22 has always been popular but I just bought a 15-22 for an easy transaction to an AR. Vepr 12 looks intimidating but shoots very soft.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    My 92fs has been a favorite, I want to take the hi power out and see how a new shooter likes that. I'm thinking the smaller frame (compared to the 92) well work well. I also agree a cz 75 would work, but most of us have lighter triggers that could be dangerous with a new shooter. But yes a stock 75 would be great.
    I also found that a mrds helps too. My ruger mk3 has ok ne and shooters tend to shoot better which engages them. It builds their confidence. F.o tends to be another favorite option.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Actually I've found that first timers I've taken shooting usually like the 1911. Yes it has a powerful recoil for beginners, but it's kind of gentle at the same time - less snappy than a 9mm, especially with lower velocity target ammo. Of course I'd always bring .22s as well but the old .45 is the one everyone talks about afterwards.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I've definitely had new shooters(So far always ladies) who really like a gun with big slow recoil. The snappy guns just cause pain, but the big push lets them feel recoil without the hurt or feeling out of control.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So a scandiaum .357 snubby is out the question?

I have witnessed a few failures in this area that left “training scars” that are hard to overcome.

BTW
    I am pretty sure Larry Vickers has the “training scars” thing copyrighted so I will probably get sued over this post.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    So a scandiaum .357 snubby is out the question?

Smith makes a scandium-frame .44 magnum, too. And it is one that I've found is good for beginners... so long as it is full of gentle .44 specials.

I have had a few new(ish) shooters specifically ask about heavy recoil. If they want to try something, I have that 329PD and a Serbu Super Shorty available.

But most don't want those. I generally start people with a Ruger 10/22 and a Walther P22. Then whatever they think is interesting.

Top Bottom