• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Anyone heard of or about proposed House Bill HR8 ? Submitted by a California Democrat. I read a brief overview. As I understand it, the basic premise for the bill is to require a formal transfer for ANY gun sale with paperwork a must. Includes sale, gift, loan, or any other transfer of a firearm to another person. Would make it a felony to fail to comply. Also, would prohibit gun ownership by persons 18-20 years of age.

Pelosi is now Speaker. I expect more of this type of legislation will be introduced.

Apologies if if this is a duplicate.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I’m not touting this because I started this thread. However, only one reply so far ! Hell, the post about where to shoot a rifle got 44 posts. Better wake up folks ! To quote a line from the movie “Next of kin” - you ain’t seen bad, but bad’s com’in !

If you aren’t a member of the NRA, the Gun Owners of America, The Second Amendment Foundation or all three you’re part of the problem. If you are voting for a Democrat in any election you’re part of the problem. I may not see it in my lifetime since I’m soon to be a septegenarian but younger folks who think that total private ownership of guns being outlawed can’t happen should take notice. It is/will be a death by a thousand cuts with the Dems slowly but certainly chipping away at private ownership of guns notwithstanding the Constitution.

Look to Australia as to what could easily happen in the United States. Check out states like Illinois where legislation is being proposed to require serial numbers on EACH cartridge and legislation proposed in Washington ( or Oregon ) to restrict ammo purchases to 20 rounds per month.
    It’s coming boys and girls. Better wake up, that is, unless it’s not ALREADY TOO LATE ! !

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Their game is the same as Obama's, fooling "us all" on healthcare. They're just gonna keep talking about it and talking about it until it becomes assumed to be good. The media is with them on this.

The only way to shut them up is beat them at the ballot box.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Scary stuff because the only way to enforce that would be to have all guns registered so they know when a transfer has taken place.

Exactly, and that is their goal.
    Just for argument sake let's say it passed.
    Now, let's say bubba ignored the new law and sold Cletus his granddaddy's shotgun. Unless someone besides the buyer and seller were a witness, did the transaction really take place after the law was passed, or before? Who's to say?

Such a law WOULD be impossible to enforce, shy of a complete and unabridged list of ALL firearms inside the United States.
    Even then, the authorities would need a database available to all law enforcement agencies simultaneously. Knowing how government agencies like to work together....
    yeah, never-mind.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    More unenforceable BS. What will they do about the 100 million firearms already in circulation that they can't determine the current owner of?

Morons

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They'll talk this outrageous stuff. Then their nose under the tent will be the "common sense" background checks. We know what that is, but most don't.

Casual gun owners that don't follow closely fall for the "90% of gun owners agree with background checks," inflated lie that gets told and told and told. Especially the young and less experienced at life crowd that thinks free college and healthcare is a good idea.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In case ya'll have forgot, the our Republican president has a veto.

...so you can feel safe knowing that, lol

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    ... the basic premise for the bill is to require a formal transfer for ANY gun sale with paperwork a must. Includes sale, gift, loan, or any other transfer of a firearm to another person. Would make it a felony to fail to comply...

This is how it is in CA now.

Scary stuff because the only way to enforce that would be to have all guns registered so they know when a transfer has taken place.
    Aaaand that's their total goal.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

Vetoes can be overridden.

We are living in the same US that thought prohibition was a great idea about a century ago, and foisted the Affordable Care Act upon us when everything lined up just right. It only takes a moment when the conditions are just so.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Mister "take the guns first, due process second" is gonna save your rights with a veto?

LOL, Trump is an authoritarian gun-grabber too.

sngehl01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2018
    Elizabeth
    Anyone heard of or about proposed House Bill HR8 ? Submitted by a California Democrat. I read a brief overview. As I understand it, the basic premise for the bill is to require a formal transfer for ANY gun sale with paperwork a must. Includes sale, gift, loan, or any other transfer of a firearm to another person.

Not to go against the grain, but I've been in favor of this for years. To me it only makes sense to have the purchaser properly background checked when selling. Yeah, you can opt to do it now (if buyer and seller agree), but I do think it should be the standard. I don't like gun rights being dumped on, but I'd be OK with proper transfers for all sales.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Not to go against the grain, but I've been in favor of this for years. To me it only makes sense to have the purchaser properly background checked when selling. Yeah, you can opt to do it now (if buyer and seller agree), but I do think it should be the standard. I don't like gun rights being dumped on, but I'd be OK with proper transfers for all sales.

Sounds great in theory, let's vet EVERY firearms recipient, but there are so many other considerations. Let's start with, what's a "sale"? When money changes hands? When I gift one to my son?

Then the other hordes of issues with the effectiveness of a universal background checks. The guy who is selling a stolen gun for cash to a convicted felon is not going to be slowed down for one second. Laws like this just increase the burden on otherwise law abiding citizens.

Welcome to INGO!

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Even though some people may hate this, I'd be fine with background checks IF we, as private individuals, were able to call NICS. The fact that it creates an extra expense for any transfer due to having to go through an FFL is my reason for being opposed to this. I already do a bill of sale for any gun coming into or out of my collection, a quick phone call while the buyer looks over his purchase wouldn't hurt me.

Top Bottom