• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    A friend of mine needs get a bunch of old weird guns appraised. It's a family issue so it needs to be legitimate, not just a Google search. Is the best way to take them to shop? Do they charge per gun to appraise? All the info and recommendations would be appreciated.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Check GB for similar stuff that has actually sold. Times have changed and a lot of good shops just don't have people familiar with old, uncommon guns.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I agree with using the completed auction search on gunbroker. The problem I see is that many people overstate the condition of an item. Sentimental value isn't worth a thing in a real market. Be honest about rust, scratches, dents, modifications, etc. The difference between "like new with box" and "acceptable" can be worlds apart in value.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The market you work in also dictates price, much like cars. What a gun shop will give you for them, what the shop would ask for it, what you can expect in a private sale locally (face to face), and what you can expect in a private sale with a nationwide audience (gunbroker) could be hundreds of dollars different.

For example, at the Columbus gun show last week, there were several (almost all) sellers with prices at or over MSRP (sometimes hilariously so like the $400 hi-point .45 that looked very well used with a cheapo laser from about 1992, nylon holster, and 4 mags)

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    The appraisal needs to be in writing for estate purposes. Doesn't matter what the internet says for my buddy. Any LGS you guys recommend?

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    cabelas will give estimates along with what they would sell for . At lest in my neck of the woods .Prices will be out of their blue book program with estimates on condition of guns.
    At least some of the stores and sales persons

Top Bottom