Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

Best place for appraisals around Indy?

A friend of mine needs get a bunch of old weird guns appraised. It's a family issue so it needs to be legitimate, not just a Google search. Is the best way to take them to shop? Do they charge per gun to appraise? All the info and recommendations would be appreciated.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese!

User Info Menu

A family member used Robert Brown.
    I think it was $10 per gun.
    Robert J. Brown Appraisal Services - Services

User Info Menu

Check GB for similar stuff that has actually sold. Times have changed and a lot of good shops just don't have people familiar with old, uncommon guns.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

I agree with using the completed auction search on gunbroker. The problem I see is that many people overstate the condition of an item. Sentimental value isn't worth a thing in a real market. Be honest about rust, scratches, dents, modifications, etc. The difference between "like new with box" and "acceptable" can be worlds apart in value.

User Info Menu

The market you work in also dictates price, much like cars. What a gun shop will give you for them, what the shop would ask for it, what you can expect in a private sale locally (face to face), and what you can expect in a private sale with a nationwide audience (gunbroker) could be hundreds of dollars different.

For example, at the Columbus gun show last week, there were several (almost all) sellers with prices at or over MSRP (sometimes hilariously so like the $400 hi-point .45 that looked very well used with a cheapo laser from about 1992, nylon holster, and 4 mags)

Expert

User Info Menu

The appraisal needs to be in writing for estate purposes. Doesn't matter what the internet says for my buddy. Any LGS you guys recommend?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zippy23 View Post
    The appraisal needs to be in writing for estate purposes. Doesn't matter what the internet says for my buddy. Any LGS you guys recommend?
    There's a dude down by the river that does such things...He's kind of opinionated and weird......
    Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indiucky View Post
    There's a dude down by the river that does such things...He's kind of opinionated and weird......
    Oh now... you're not that opinionated.

User Info Menu

cabelas will give estimates along with what they would sell for . At lest in my neck of the woods .Prices will be out of their blue book program with estimates on condition of guns.
    At least some of the stores and sales persons
    " Everybody in the world is ignorant.....Just about different things."

User Info Menu

In that case, 500 Guns comes to mind. They are in Speedway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast