• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I am trying to put on a new Griffin Armament taper mount to my 300 blackout and it says apply 35 foot pounds of torque. Well I do not have such fancy things so I just applied what I felt to be enough. My question is can someone recommend a tool that I can buy for this? I would prefer on Amazon but happy to shop anywhere. I saw something on Midway but did not get the best reviews but that is really the only thing I see that is close to what I am looking for.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You are probably going to need an open end torque wrench right?

Get a crowfoot in the appropriate size and use a normal torque wrench.

71xvhBRYP4L._SX355_.jpg

I am not a gunsmith. YMMV.

35 ft/lbs is "snug but don't lean on it."

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Drive on down to harbor freight and buy a torque wrench. Cheap and many uses. You'd be surprised at how many fasteners have torque specifications lol

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    A Harbor Freight torque wrench will do you just fine. You don't need a professional model for a once and a wile job. The thing about torque wrenches is to back the torque setting off all the way when done this way the wrench won't take a set.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Just got in from the garage and using my Harbor Fright ratchet wrench. Get it on sale and use a 20% coupon. Other wise just have 17.5 friends come over and......

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Lowes actually had a well received torque wrench, had a blue metal handle. They were in spec in the box and held year after year. Harbor freights can be spotty, but for torqueing barrel nuts on ar's they gud enuff. I've looked at the "gunsmithing" torque wrenches and most of the time they are low end Chinese manufactured rebrands. You will be just as well served with a harbor freight and without the hefty specialty smithing tool logo mark up. Same goes for a LOT of the specialty tool "kits" I see listed... Branding and packaging is expensive.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I've seen several harbor freight torque wrenches tested at work. Guys bring them in from home and put them on the machine at desired torque and click it. The digital read out tells us how close it is. Most are 5 foot pounds heavy, so if your clicking 20 foot pounds you'll get 25 foot pounds. The 1/4 inch drive was the closest to actual torque. Printcraft is right on with the crowsfoot sockets. I picked up a set at menards, crescent brand they work great on ar builds and for changing O2 sensors on jeeps.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    This will actually alter the torque setting due to the lever action. There are conversions online.

You are probably going to need an open end torque wrench right?

Get a crowfoot in the appropriate size and use a normal torque wrench.

71xvhBRYP4L._SX355_.jpg

I am not a gunsmith. YMMV.

35 ft/lbs is "snug but don't lean on it."

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    My grandpa (an old WWII Navy guy) told me all bolts “require a Japanese grunt to make sure there’re German”.

Basically twist until you make a ‘hhizzaccaak’ noise that will ensure that it is ’guetentite’.

—-but in a seriousness, go buy a torque wrench, so many things require this. A click type will be the best, and as others have said back it off to relieve pressure between uses. Or ask a friend or neighbor; someone you know has one.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Drive on down to harbor freight and buy a torque wrench. Cheap and many uses. You'd be surprised at how many fasteners have torque specifications lol

Agreed. I have used a Harbor Freight torque wrench to rebuild 3 engines and have checked it against more expensive models and always been satisfied. If I was using it every day to make a living, I’d spend more money, but for me, it’s just fine, Just remember to upload it after you are done.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A click-style will be what you want... But you can make due with a beam-style in a pinch. Don't have to unload those, either.

I inherited a large beam-style Craftsman from my wife's grandpa years ago, and a few years ago I bought an inexpensive inch/lb beam style. Not ideal - but they work.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you just have one gun to do, I'd put out the word in this thread and possibly start another in gunsmithing, asking to borrow the necessary wrenches for the job.

Top Bottom