Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joniki View Post
    This will actually alter the torque setting due to the lever action. There are conversions online.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    True, but simple math will get you where you need to be.
    It is my understanding that it you use the crowfoot at 90 to the wrench (rather than straight off the end) it is close enough that no conversion is needed for our typical uses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    It is my understanding that it you use the crowfoot at 90 to the wrench (rather than straight off the end) it is close enough that no conversion is needed for our typical uses.
    Bingo. Even then anything under 2 or 3 inches of actual extension will not alter enough to make any adjustments, especially when your talking about harbor freight level precision work. I've never seen an adjustment needed with a simple crowsfoot

User Info Menu

I recommend you contact Earl, apparently he rebuilds engines and he's the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench
    sauce will thicken upon standing

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

Tyler wins.
    I hear They call him Flipper. Yes... yes, I'm serious.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KittySlayer View Post
    Who needs a torque wrench? Just tighten it until the threads strip then back off a half turn.
    I see Im not the only one. Usually strip the threads then keep tightening until it starts to get snug again then stop just before you think its gonna give out again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    True, but simple math will get you where you need to be.
    Or just put it at a right angle to the wrench......
    Never mistake education for intelligence.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Looks like I'm a little late here, but here goes...

MOST 1/2" torque wrenches, which when most guys talk about the Harbor Freight torque wrench that's what they're talking about, are not accurate down to 35lbs. Most of them I've used stop being graduated at 50lbs and most people will recommend you avoid trusting both the top or bottom 10% of the scale on a "clicker" style wrench.

With that said, I would actually offer the exact opposite opinion from another poster and recommend an old school, dirt cheap, 3/8" beam wrench for this particular project. I especially like to use beam wrenches for lower values because it's easy to watch how much torque you're putting in at any given time. This is particularly comforting when dealing with aluminum as sometimes you can start to see it stretch before it brakes (fastener keeps turning, but the torque isn't going up... so you stop).

Also, beam wrenches can be calibrated yourself. So, basically, beam wrenches last forever.

I've had this same Craftsman for ages, but I wouldn't be afraid of buying a less expensive one..

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-9-3...y%2C164&sr=8-6

I also have other torque wrenches for other uses. I like clickers just fine, but perhaps not for what you're aiming to do and perhaps not within your budget.

Anyhow... Mud successfully added to the water.

User Info Menu

https://m.harborfreight.com/12-in-dr...not%20provided

The reviews that make a low rating are from an older model.

The older model used weird batteries and did not have an auto shut off. The new one uses AAAs and has an 80 second auto off to preserve battery life.

Read the reviews if you don't believe me, but this seems a lot better for the torque range I'll need (I do a fair bit of gun building/parts-changing)

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have a couple clickers, one digital , and one beam style and I'm with Maxwelhse. The beam is works great, especially for an occasional bolt or nut and gives the feel factor. I will grab one of the others if I have a set of bolts to torque. I want see and feel what is happening and not waiting on the click, expecially on the lighter torque settings.

Master

User Info Menu

Ok I'm being drawn like a moth to a flame here. I have limited experience with Harbor Freight torque wrenches. A good torque wrench is something I have always felt is very much a you get what you pay for tool. I have Snap on (1/2" & 3/8" click type) and a NAPA Carlyle (electronic) and they have all been very accurate throughout their range.
    Buy the best you can some tools are built for precision

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast