• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Hey guys, looking for some reviews on choke tubes for coyotes.I am going to buy a choke tube soon for yotes,was wondering if a xtra full choke tube shooting b.bs in lead will pattern good at about 40 yards, or maybe a turkey choke tube.I have seen prices on yote choke tubes going for 55 dollars.Was wondering if another choke tube would work equally as good ? I saw some choke tubes going for 100 bucks, yote aint worth THAT much LOL. What are you guys using for yotes ?:rockwoot:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just like turkey hunting I bet, "normal stuff" works well but limits yardage. Gotta pay to work that long distance game.

Shells, choketubes........and finding what works best. ......$$$

Extending your range costs money. Just the way it is.

When you figure gas, time and missing work (or sleep)............choketubes/ammo cost is no big deal.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Using the Federal Flight control ammo might do more to extend range/ tighten patterns than a high end tube. Lotsa pattern tests out there on the inner webs

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I picked up a carlson's and tungsten shot. No problems toppling over a old empty automotive freon tank at the 70yrds they claim its effectiveness. I was impressed. Expensive tube and figure those shells at about $3 per trigger pull. Probably higher now.

I believe in using best equipment you can afford. Make best use of the special times spent outdoors. Sometimes a little cash needs to be spent.

A shotgun is never my first choice. I hunted a public area and that's all that was allowed there. I started out using 4 shot 3" turkey loads and lost one with a direct hit. He ran off. Skinned others with bb's just under skin. Pelts are thick in winter.

Don't want to spend the cash a quality buckshot load will do just know when you're pattern opens up and setup within that range.

Post pics of your kills! Have fun!

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I have used just a standard Remington full choke with #4 lead buckshot from a 2 3/4 shell out to 48 yards. It may have been a lucky shot but the coyote just dropped. I normally try to stay within 40 yrds if I am using a shotgun. I would go with larger shot than BB if your intended target is coyotes.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    My experience with Turkey chokes (12ga.) using #4 or #5 is you want a choke that is restricted down to .675 or less.....this will give you a tight pattern at 35 to 40 yards, and the capability of 50 to 55 yards for Turkey. I'm not sure I would attempt at shot at a coyote with a shotgun past 40 yards....they are tough SOBs.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    I have a persimmon tree in my back yard that is 48 yards from the edge of my garage. I use a carelsons coyote choke tube with hornady 23/4 #4 buck shot. I’ve shot probably somewhere close to 10 coyotes over the past 3 years under that tree and dropped every single one. You won’t be disappointed with a good quality choke tube and shells. You get what you pay for. Buy once cry once

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    My Remington 870 with a smooth bore slug barrel will put 5 shots in a 6" circle at 50yds. with open sights. This is using cheap 2 3/4" Remington or Winchester slugs. What are these coyote choke tubes and buckshot you speak of?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My Remington 870 with a smooth bore slug barrel will put 5 shots in a 6" circle at 50yds. with open sights. This is using cheap 2 3/4" Remington or Winchester slugs. What are these coyote choke tubes and buckshot you speak of?

I can beat that. 20 ga H&R break action will put 2 Remington 2 3/4" BuckHammers touching at 100 yes. Can you say, "Dead coyote"? Yes you can.

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville

That’s what a riffle is for. i often bring the shotty along while hunting tighter areas or where I may encounter a fox. Much easier to hit a hard charging coyote with a good patterning shotgun plus you won’t rip him in half like you would with slug lol some of us like to keep some fur given one nice enough comes within range

Top Bottom