• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    I check the classifieds on this site and Armlist pretty often and it brings up a question...

Why do many of the posts have used firearms for prices higher than they can be bought brand new?.. Are people willing to pay a price higher than retail to avoid having the firearm registered to their name? Do people not check prices online and at their LGS before purchasing? Do sellers not check the market and just put them for a price they paid a few years ago?

This isn't a thread to start a fight or bash people, I am just genuinely curious. I have always bought from either a LGS or shopped online and use a LGS for an FFL. I have a few guns in mind that I want to buy and can't find a reason to justify paying more to a person that I don't know.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the most part some folks paid too much initially and do not want to loose out. Many say "I will not loose money on a firearm"

And then you have the flippers. They know who they are and so do I for the most part.

To realize the market is soft right now is the key. There are a few very nice pieces in the classifieds right now priced north of new. Hey, its yours. Price as you wish. If it languishes for a month it should be obvious that a)....you want to much for it or b)....nobody really wants one of those.
    They are used once you take them home regardless. Pre-owned so to speak.

I use Buds site as a mark for pricing. If I can buy it new for "X" then I price my offering accordingly. That is for as built pieces. Customs are a whole different game.
    JMHO of course.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I always like the “custom” glocks that have the Talon grips and night sights for $600. And the AR’s with the Tasco scopes for $800.. it’s this simple though. If you don’t like the price, skip it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always like the “custom” glocks that have the Talon grips and night sights for $600. And the AR’s with the Tasco scopes for $800.. it’s this simple though. If you don’t like the price, skip it.

I just laugh. A lot.

Ingo is really not a place to flip. Folks here are fairly dialed in.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    I just laugh. A lot.

Ingo is really not a place to flip. Folks here are fairly dialed in.

I do agree that Ingo prices are much better than Armslist. It's just weird to me when I see a used gun priced $100 more than when you can get it for brand new. But hey, that $5 Uncle Mike's holster doesn't come with the gun at the store!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Like cm said, some people base their asking price on what they paid. I sold a S&W Shield a while back. I first priced it just a little under what I paid for it, since I only shot a couple magazines through it on one time out. Then someone pointed out that you could now buy it new for about half what I had paid. So I had to lower the price. I would also note that some people's attitude when they point it out is such that I would give the gun away to someone else rather than sell it to that person.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am actually going to disagree with the OP. I find the INGO classifieds to be VERY competitively priced. Sure, there are a few newbies or flippers who try to gouge. But overall, I think like CM said, most INGO member's are pretty dialed in on current pricing.

I think one reason OP may feel this way is that the guns that are posted at fair prices get snagged up pretty quickly and therefore all is left available is the detritus.

doubleeagle4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    East Central
    I am actually going to disagree with the OP. I find the INGO classifieds to be VERY competitively priced. Sure, there are a few newbies or flippers who try to gouge. But overall, I think like CM said, most INGO member's are pretty dialed in on current pricing.

I think one reason OP may feel this way is that the guns that are posted at fair prices get snagged up pretty quickly and therefore all is left available is the detritus.

I did post that I agreed with CM saying that INGO is more fairly priced than sites like Armslist. I have seen some fair deals on here. I have also noticed that people on here are quick to lower the price if they find out that it's not going to sell at the posted price.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I check the classifieds on this site and Armlist pretty often and it brings up a question...

Why do many of the posts have used firearms for prices higher than they can be bought brand new?.. Are people willing to pay a price higher than retail to avoid having the firearm registered to their name? Do people not check prices online and at their LGS before purchasing? Do sellers not check the market and just put them for a price they paid a few years ago?

This isn't a thread to start a fight or bash people, I am just genuinely curious. I have always bought from either a LGS or shopped online and use a LGS for an FFL. I have a few guns in mind that I want to buy and can't find a reason to justify paying more to a person that I don't know.
    I'm sure you've heard this already, and I'm not accusing you of anything so please don't get mad, but hit up our classifieds once you get to 50 quality posts. And for those attempting to race to 50, this ^ is what constitutes a quality post. Keep it up!
    There are a few accessories that I'd actually pay extra for. Something like night sights that I'm already going to put on would make me pay a little more. Note that when I say "more", I mean more than I would have paid for a used gun, but rarely is that gonna be above new prices for something that's still in production. Speaking of custom ARs, I look at the accessories before I even consider the gun, generally a gun covered in UTG and Tasco accessories is gonna have the same quality of parts on the inside.
    "Honey, honest, I've tried to sell it, but no will buy it!"
    This is one valid reason I can see someone overpricing their stuff.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Another thing I've learned from the classifieds here is patience. The good deals (for me) always seem to show up after I've spent the money. It never fails for me to have money in my hand and not be able to get what I'm after, so then I either settle for something else, drive farther than I prefer, or overpay only to come home and find it on INGO that night or the next day for a good deal. This literally happened to me last month when I was looking for a lower on the cheap. On the flip side, I've had great deals find me when I post questions about a particular part or accessory.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Perhaps a semantic point, but a firearm bought at a dealer is not "registered" to the buyer. Yes, there is a record of the transaction, but it is somewhat different from what a true registry is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Perhaps a semantic point, but a firearm bought at a dealer is not "registered" to the buyer. Yes, there is a record of the transaction, but it is somewhat different from what a true registry is.

You are correct. But there is now a paper trail.

And if anyone thinks once we go UBC/forced registration/bans/etc that they wont start aggregating all that 4473 data into a database to track down the owners, they are a fool. As I type this I'm having flashbacks to the old film "Red Dawn". In case you are living in a hole, the Russians invade a small town in America and one of the first stops in town was the hardware store that also sells guns. They dug up all the 4473s and then started going door to door to locate all the guns they had a record of.

Will we ever get there? I doubt it. But I won't rule it out. So there is a value to some about not having a paper trail.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I actually had a guy get :poop:y with me one time on a rifle here on INGO for $150 more used than the same new one was available for from Buds. I made him an offer for a used rifle based on the cost of the new one and thought he was going to hunt me down! I simply pointed out the flaw in his logic that I should pay more for his because he paid more for his.

That Bud's rifle sure does shoot nice

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I actually had a guy get :poop:y with me one time on a rifle here on INGO for $150 more used than the same new one was available for from Buds. I made him an offer for a used rifle based on the cost of the new one and thought he was going to hunt me down! I simply pointed out the flaw in his logic that I should pay more for his because he paid more for his.

That Bud's rifle sure does shoot nice

I have only had a few issues pre-Mod and about zero since.

The spouse, CKW, wanted to sell her AR and pistol so I walked her through the process. The pistol was just a little LCR Ruger with several mags that she bought from my sister. The AR was a very nice rifle I put together for her from good parts. I was well north of $1300 invested in it just parts.
    We put it up for $800 which in this current market is more than fair. She was a assailed with lowballers. At 1st we both laughed at some of them. The low offers were politely refused. Most stood down but 2 of these nut jobs were relentless. One even said he was gifting it to a wounded Vet. simple search proved both were flippers. She politely refused and stated that was it. 1 came back in a very snarky way stating the market was soft. The other came back that he could buy a new AR at rural king for $400 so she should sell hers at that price.
    At this point I intervened. One vanished and the other actually had the balls to call me out on showing favor to members.
    My last PM was not so nice stating that yes I will show favor to my spouse and he decided to stand down.

People. What do you do with them.

We ended up trading the rifle.

Thats the last we used the classies

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You are correct. But there is now a paper trail.

And if anyone thinks once we go UBC/forced registration/bans/etc that they wont start aggregating all that 4473 data into a database to track down the owners, they are a fool. As I type this I'm having flashbacks to the old film "Red Dawn". In case you are living in a hole, the Russians invade a small town in America and one of the first stops in town was the hardware store that also sells guns. They dug up all the 4473s and then started going door to door to locate all the guns they had a record of.

Will we ever get there? I doubt it. But I won't rule it out. So there is a value to some about not having a paper trail.

I don't think that anyone who is afraid of having their name on a 4473 is brave enough to use their "off record" gun for anything anyway. What are they gonna do, bury them in the backyard or yuk yuk boating accident? Fat lot of good that will do ya. If it ever comes time to bury them, then the time has come to dig them up.

:twocents:

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I always get a kick out of scanning the listings on armslist! Amazing how man “custom” guns are out there. Also how many times a single listing keeps getting posted over months on end with same price, not smart enough to think they should lower it since it’s not moving. Use to like armslist when it started out but now it’s a joke, rather buy online or LGS now.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have gotten some good deals on Armslist. There are a few things up here though that have been listed for many months. They list what they paid for the gun, every single accessory that has been installed and they end up double or more what the gun cost new. No thanks.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    OP- the same thing goes for most of the dealers at the local gun shows. They must be smoking something illegal when they have asking prices for common used firearms at or sometimes above full retail. I recently saw a dealer asking well over $200 for a Star BM 9mm Pistol that was for sale at J&G sales for $149! Even with shipping and $25 for a transfer fee I would have still been ahead $75! Don’t these dealers check prices? I guess the dealers must like unpacking and repacking the same stuff over and over again. Sheesh!

Top Bottom