Anyone have experience having a barrel threaded?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sngehl01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2018
    Elizabeth
    I'm debating buying another bolt action 22 that is SR. I have a couple of bolt 22's I'm pretty fond of, so I've also contemplated just having the barrel tapped.

Anyone have experience with this? I'd have a gunshop do it.

More or less wondering if this is a pretty basic process, or if someone has a real horror story to share about it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you have the right person do it, should not be an issue. Get the wrong person, well you get the idea, and in that case, depending on how long the barrel is to start with, you may not be able to correct it without getting into SBR territory. Not sure of gunsmiths in your area, but find someone with a good rep, whose work you have seen examples of.

In my area, there are several gunsmiths that I would not hesitate to have thread a barrel for me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm debating buying another bolt action 22 that is SR. I have a couple of bolt 22's I'm pretty fond of, so I've also contemplated just having the barrel tapped.

Anyone have experience with this? I'd have a gunshop do it.

More or less wondering if this is a pretty basic process, or if someone has a real horror story to share about it.

Tapping and threading may hold different degrees of precision. I believe threads cut on a lathe, carefully centered on the bore, is what you're after. AllenM at Diamond Collision has threaded for many here, me included. Does good work and the cost is reasonable.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Tapping and threading may hold different degrees of precision. I believe threads cut on a lathe, carefully centered on the bore, is what you're after. AllenM at Diamond Collision has threaded for many here, me included. Does good work and the cost is reasonable.

Seconded for AllenM’s work. High quality work on the threading and the target crown as well.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Seconded for AllenM’s work. High quality work on the threading and the target crown as well.

Yep, was going to suggest him myself, but looks like OP is about 3.5 or so hours away, though I guess he could ship it easy & cheap enough if the barrel is removed from the action.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've had Allen thread for me as well. I'm not sure how close you are to Avon to get it to him physically but I'd go to him without hesitation.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Most good gunsmiths or machinists can thread on a lathe pretty easily. I know both and depending on the gun being threaded I have one or the other do it

Take it to a "gunsmith" that uses a hand die on the other hand....

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    A suppressor. I don't own one, yet, but I've been intending on getting one at some point.

Wait until you have the suppressor, and spend the coin on your tax stamp right now.

Give the suppressor core to the person that will be cutting your threads so they can fit the host to the actual core.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Wait until you have the suppressor, and spend the coin on your tax stamp right now.

Give the suppressor core to the person that will be cutting your threads so they can fit the host to the actual core.

Giving the "core" to someone still classifies as a silencer....so loaning it to most people isn't quite legit even if it's not a complete silencer

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Giving the "core" to someone still classifies as a silencer....so loaning it to most people isn't quite legit even if it's not a complete silencer

You are incorrect.

Most recent-design .22LR suppressors are of a design that allows relatively easy disassembly into their component parts for cleaning out the relatively horrendous amounts of residue. The cores are also pretty easily (if not affordably) replaced if they become damaged.

As such, the removable core itself is NOT the serialized item, and can therefore be shipped round the country as freely as your letter to auntie June in El Paso.

...but don't send the tube!

-Nate

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You are incorrect.

Most recent-design .22LR suppressors are of a design that allows relatively easy disassembly into their component parts for cleaning out the relatively horrendous amounts of residue. The cores are also pretty easily (if not affordably) replaced if they become damaged.

As such, the removable core itself is NOT the serialized item, and can therefore be shipped round the country as freely as your letter to auntie June in El Paso.

...but don't send the tube!

-Nate

Then why can't you have spare baffles laying around? Baffles are treated as individual silencers outside of the tube while not in the owner's possession and when having more baffles than your silencer can fit.

If your can comes apart and the piece that threads onto the gun has no serial number or no baffles then it's just a threaded piece of metal that's unregulated, like replacement end caps. But if it has any baffles attached (monocore) it's still a silencer

I have 3 22 cans right now and waiting on 1 more (and another one once Silencerco ships the rebate cans). If I get something threaded I can loan the threaded portion of my Huntertown Guardian to make sure it will thread (minus baffles and tube, it's a gen 1 not a gen 2), but that doesn't mean I can give the "core" of the Silencerco Sparrow out for the same purpose because the portion that threads onto the gun has the monocore attached

that being said, if I had a gen 2 Huntertown Guardian I wouldn't be able to give someone that threaded portion because that's the serialized part and not the tube

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    No barrel threading but had AllenM fit a barrel for my 4506-1 I bought off midway. It was a wide hood and I needed it to be a narrow hood. Sent him the slide and both barrels. Turnaround time was no more than 2 weeks and the price was reasonable.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    I've got a Remington 700 LTR that I had some work done to a couple years ago. Had the barrel threaded for a break as well as had a bolt that busted off in the receiver removed. The smith I had do it did excellent work however I don't think he's in the business anymore, pretty sure he retired last year but I'll take a look around and see if I can find his info still. Just do plenty of research on wherever you go and make sure they have a good rep and you'll be golden.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Louisville area for this? I just ordered a Scorpion Carbine and will need to SBR it when my can gets out of jail.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the Louisville area for this? I just ordered a Scorpion Carbine and will need to SBR it when my can gets out of jail.

For the scorpion, you might just be better off buying an shorter barrel/hand guard depending on what you're looking for in the long run. Check out HB Industries.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I bought the extended handguard and I don’t think the hb industries barrel will work with the stock parts. The price on a pistol barrel isn’t too bad either.

It is a bit late, but it looks like I would’ve been better starting with the pistol.

Top Bottom