• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Hey guys, I have been reading about shotguns for yotes and ALL the chokes for them.I was wondering if it might be better to use slugs as I will be keeping my shots to about 35 yards.If I go to slugs which one to go to 3 inch or 2 3/4 inch, and which choke tube to use with slugs ? I will be using a smooth bore barrel.I am just looking for some feed back because there is a lot of knowledge and experience on site.Is going to a rifled barrel going to make it any more accurate ?:ar15:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would go with the slug barrel if you plan to use slugs.
    Choosing the wrong slug/choke combo can end up being a bad day...
    Please don't use anything more restrictive than a cylinder bore choke if you are going to run slugs through a shot barrel.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    It depends on how you intend to shoot them. If you are jump shooting, I like full choke with 00 buck for running coyotes. We’ve hunted them with dogs and had very good success with that setup.

If you are calling them in or hunting from a stand, slugs will provide you more distance and accuracy. They make certain slugs that can provide some spin from smooth barrels I believe, but as posted above, make sure your smooth barrel doesn’t have a restrictive choke or you can damage it.

Blakec221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2019
    Rockville
    To me slugs are pointless as I always carry a rifle while calling and in some tighter areas where a coyote or fox may pop out of nowhere I bring the shotgun for the obvious reason of more leeway with a rushed shot. I use carelsons coyote tube with hornady #4 buck. 00 buck just doesn’t pattern very well. Most of the coyote I’ve killed with the shotgun has been over 35yds and almost always dropes them dead. I’ve even killed a couple hogs with #4 buck back when I lived in Louisiana.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    When I used a shotgun for yotes I used either Hornady Varmint Express 2 3/4" #4 buck or Winchester 3" #1 buck. I've long since quit using a shotgun as too many yotes just wouldn't get close enough for a shot. I now use a AR for almost all my predator hunting and now if I see 'em, I can shoot 'em! Not to mention recoil is much, much easier on my old bones.
    Only other advice I can give is to get a selection of slugs and/or buckshot and see how they shoot in your gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I would go with the slug barrel if you plan to use slugs.
    Choosing the wrong slug/choke combo can end up being a bad day...
    Please don't use anything more restrictive than a cylinder bore choke if you are going to run slugs through a shot barrel.

Cylinder is no choke. Oddly, Remington forever has had their slug barrels "improved cylinder".
    And in testing by some rather serious deer hunting buds, a few found that when using fosters............a modified choke tube worked better.
    Ya just never know.
    They also make these silly things called rifled choke tubes.
    They work, but may have some quirks (rather quick cleaning interval).......depending on what ran through.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    To me slugs are pointless as I always carry a rifle while calling and in some tighter areas where a coyote or fox may pop out of nowhere I bring the shotgun for the obvious reason of more leeway with a rushed shot. I use carelsons coyote tube with hornady #4 buck. 00 buck just doesn’t pattern very well. Most of the coyote I’ve killed with the shotgun has been over 35yds and almost always dropes them dead. I’ve even killed a couple hogs with #4 buck back when I lived in Louisiana.

This right here ^^^^^^^^

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Cylinder is no choke. Oddly, Remington forever has had their slug barrels "improved cylinder".
    And in testing by some rather serious deer hunting buds, a few found that when using fosters............a modified choke tube worked better.
    Ya just never know.
    They also make these silly things called rifled choke tubes.
    They work, but may have some quirks (rather quick cleaning interval).......depending on what ran through.

QFT. With foster slugs I got best accuracy with modified choke. Worst was cylinder. Improved cylinder was pretty good, but not best. YMMV.

Also, don't shoot foster slugs in a rifled barrel, you will lead it up badly. Rifled barrels are for sabot slugs. Rifled choke tubes are obsolete and quirky, not worth bothering with these days. Rifled chokes date back to the days when sabot slugs were just getting started and rifled barrels were still uncommon and expensive - thankfully that is no longer the case.

Top Bottom