• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I recently purchased a suppressor ready S&W M&P Compact. No matter how finger tight I tried to secure the thread protector, it always started to unscrew after a few rounds. Yes, I could just take it off until my shooting is over, but the pistol seems to shoot more accurately with it in place. Yesterday, while shooting, I had an idea. I took a small piece of masking tape (I use it for pasting bullet holes). I took off the thread protector and wrapped the tiny piece of making tape around the threads. I replaced the thread protector (over the piece of masking tape). It went on with some difficulty, but the thread protector now stays in place. One caution regarding the tape; a little goes a long way.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I hadn't thought of electric tape for that. I would've thought the glue would get messy in a hurry. I have had good luck with o-rings. Teflon tape has failed me during a USPSA match.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You can put an O ring on the barrel depending on how the threads were cut, does it have shoulder on the barrel where the threads end?

Or the easiest way is to clean it with alcohol and put a few drops of red loctight on the threads.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I hadn't thought of electric tape for that. I would've thought the glue would get messy in a hurry. I have had good luck with o-rings. Teflon tape has failed me during a USPSA match.

Good to know-- I haven't done that much of a torture test. Just didn't want to gunk up threads with adhesive.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have tac sol barrels on my 22/45 and 10/22 and the thread protector's shot loose, at work we have a huge box of rubber o rings, and 2 happened to fall into my pocket then fall out of my pocket and onto my barrels, and now my thread protectors don't shoot loose anymore!

now on my full size m&p 22 (made by walther) I almost couldn't get the thread protector off!, I ended up splaying the jaws of the wrench they provided, I called them and they sent me a free wrench, the one the sell with the suppressor kit (wrench and thread adaptor), it has a longer handle, I put some wd40 on the thread protector cap, and went and cut the grass, and an hour later (ive got a big yard) and removed it no problem.

I hear the m&p 22 compact's (made by s&w) thread cap comes off easier, but not much!

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You can put an O ring on the barrel depending on how the threads were cut, does it have shoulder on the barrel where the threads end?

Or the easiest way is to clean it with alcohol and put a few drops of red loctight on the threads.
    Red Locktite makes a part very hard to remove. It usually requires heat to remove the part. Since I have a suppressor, I didn't want something that hard to remove. I've use blue Locktite for many, many jobs, but in this case I had masking tape handy. So far, so good. The plumbers tape works, I'm sure and probably the "O" rings, if you go to the hardware store and get the right size.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well this wasn't what I though this thread was about. I was thinking, "That's what we have Churchmouse for. To protect INGO from threads that get a little too "loose". :):

Top Bottom