• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I have a RUGER CHARGER .22lr and was wondering if any body has put a rifle scope on theirs ? Been thinking of putting a 6x24 scope on it for crows, a little worried about scope hitting eye when shot , is this a concern ? THANKS

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I'd use a pistol scope with long eye relief on a charger and sight it like a pistol.

Otherwise, I'd just use a 10/22 (with a 3-9x40 rifle scope).

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'd use a pistol scope with long eye relief on a charger and sight it like a pistol.

Otherwise, I'd just use a 10/22 (with a 3-9x40 rifle scope).

But, but.. . .he didn't ask what you'd do. He asked if his plan would work. And the answer is YES.

This always works out better if we just answer the question that was asked. Or ask questions as to why the question was asked. I'm guilty of occasionally blurting out what I'd do as well but guys seem to take it better if we at least seem concerned about the why b4 we :poop: all over their idea.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    But, but.. . .he didn't ask what you'd do. He asked if his plan would work. And the answer is YES.

This always works out better if we just answer the question that was asked. Or ask questions as to why the question was asked. I'm guilty of occasionally blurting out what I'd do as well but guys seem to take it better if we at least seem concerned about the why b4 we :poop: all over their idea.

Thanks for :poop:.

What do you want me to say, "Yes, it is physically possible to mount a rifle scope on a rimfire pistol without it striking your eye when you fire it" and just ignore the fact that he's either going to have to hold a pistol up within 4" or so of his face to shoot it or not be able to see anything through the scope?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have a RUGER CHARGER .22lr and was wondering if any body has put a rifle scope on theirs ? Been thinking of putting a 6x24 scope on it for crows, a little worried about scope hitting eye when shot , is this a concern ? THANKS

Yes, do it. Those of us that are involved in the shooting sports have been doing this (rifle scopes on 22 pistols) for decades. It is remarkably easier to be accurate with a taco hold (yes, it has a name) and is commonly used to shoot accurately to 100 yards.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute

What do you want me to say, "Yes, it is physically possible to mount a rifle scope on a rimfire pistol without it striking your eye when you fire it" and just ignore the fact that he's either going to have to hold a pistol up within 4" or so of his face to shoot it or not be able to see anything through the scope?

fyi & fwiw- NRA and IHMSA shooters have been doing this since the late 80's, first with rimfire, then small centerfire like 32-20, then with medium centerfire like 300 Blackout, 7br, and 7ji. I deer hunt with a 270 Max topped by a 12x Leupold on my TC Contender.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Nope. Just want you to learn something today. I assumed since he knew the difference between rifle and pistol scope and he was worried about scope bite that he knew he was gonna be close so I chose not to insult his intelligence.
    I too shoot a centerfire contender with a riflescope. .20 VarTarg and .223 Rem. The AAC can on the .223 makes that one possible.

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Nope. Just want you to learn something today. I assumed since he knew the difference between rifle and pistol scope and he was worried about scope bite that he knew he was gonna be close so I chose not to insult his intelligence.
    I too shoot a centerfire contender with a riflescope. .20 VarTarg and .223 Rem. The AAC can on the .223 makes that one possible.

Chill, dude. We're talking about scopes here. I wasn't the least bit insulting toward the OP. I don't need you "teaching" me anything about how to post on a forum.

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    Chill, dude. We're talking about scopes here. I wasn't the least bit insulting toward the OP. I don't need you "teaching" me anything about how to post on a forum.
    That made me smile. I have a cheap 100 dollar tru-glo red/dot/eotech wannabe on mine. If the dot is on the squirrel head, the squirrel is dead.
    You have to say that as if you were saying- "It places the lotion on its skin...."

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a 4-12X AO rifle scope on my 1st gen Ruger Charger and shot nice groups with it (Clark trigger).
    The gun and scope both went bye bye rather quickly.
    If you want to mess around on the range/bench it might be a fun toy.
    Afield..........carry a rifle or pistol.
    And yeah, people have been running rifle scopes on handguns in .22 IHMSA for a long while.
    Big whoop de doo.
    Worried about scope cut, on a Charger..........I guess if one has never shot a .22 pistol they might worry.
    Lesser mag rifle scopes should have longer eye relief.
    IMHO put an Aimpoint 30mm reddot clone w 2 MOA on it.

Diff field positions w rifle scope is gonna be problematic, and long eye relief pistol scopes take a bit of getting used to.
    Chargers are a plinker at best.
    Red dot for the win (well, within whatever battle is being fought with a Charger).

Have fun with it, whatever you choose.........just think the Charger is not going to do great at any one thing.
    So keep it as flexible as possible. RDS

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    You're the one that jumped in offended with both feet. I'm just here dispensing knowledge and good vibes. :dunno::rockwoot::dunno:

Offended by whatever it was you posted? I simply disagreed with your assessment, and still do. I still think it's important to talk about eye relief in a conversation about mounting a rifle scope on a pistol.

You're going to have to work a lot harder than that if you want to offend me. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom