• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    While browsing the Internet for news about Cabelas, I ran across a couple of stories that two new retailers are starting up with the intention of going up against Cabelas and Bass Pro. Don't know much at this point since I learned about them myself a few minutes ago.

https://www.starherald.com/out_yond...cle_e9b2cc95-2db6-544a-b5fb-34f4a665bfe9.html

https://www.news-leader.com/story/n...-despite-bass-pro-shops-challenge/2789321002/

Here is the website for one of the stores: www.highbyoutdoors.com

Last edited:

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    That's interesting. All they have to do to compete with BPS or Cabelas is have lower prices, which shouldn't be that difficult. Competing against all the other online retailers would present more of an issue in my opinion.

I like the website and will put it on my list of ones to check when needed supplies.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    This is excellent! Competition, especially from former employees is a great thing. Maybe, just maybe it will force change in Cabelas and their pricing and business practices.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    too bad it's online only, no B&M stores.

call me old, but i like to put my grubby hands on stuff before/when i buy it.

heres a thought, if i buy a gun from cabelas, and they dont have it in stock, it gets shipped to the store, and not a secondary FFL.
    personally, i think it's kinda rude/crappy to buy from an online retailer and have the weapon shipped to your local gun shop....
    but thats just my :twocents:
    :cheers:

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I placed a call to 1 of the Highby outdoors headquarters and talked to a customer service person .I hope that they make out well after the shaft that bass pro gave the employees and some of the towns with Cabelas locations .You must remember that cabelas is not cabelas it is Bass Pro

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    heres a thought, if i buy a gun from cabelas, and they dont have it in stock, it gets shipped to the store, and not a secondary FFL.
    personally, i think it's kinda rude/crappy to buy from an online retailer and have the weapon shipped to your local gun shop....
    but thats just my :twocents:

Ordering online and having it shipped to a local farm store with an FFL is about the only way I'll buy. I get to avoid gun stores all together that way.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    true...

but IMHO it's not right.

but it's kinda like going to store A for X product, but they dont have it, so i order it from website B and have it shipped/handled by store A...

maybe it's just me being old and grumpy. :@ya:

You aren't the only one that doesn't like doing that. I give my LGS the first shot at what I want and to this day she has been cheaper every time. Used guns don't normally interest me unless it is someone I know. Then no FFL is needed.

When internet stores want to sell guns on line they should set up a net work of FFL to do there transfers and figure the transfer fee in there price. IF they don't I won't buy from them.

This type of selling is like picking up the parts for your car and dropping them off at your mechanic and wanting him to install them at just the labor cost and cutting out part of his profit. Then wonder why he went out of business.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    but it's kinda like going to store A for X product, but they dont have it, so i order it from website B and have it shipped/handled by store A...

I've been to at least one gun store that will refuse FFL transfers for any (new) gun they can get through their distributors. On one hand, I don't blame them. On the other hand, I'm not sure it makes economic sense.
    Refusing the transfer isn't going to stop anyone from completing the transaction, they'll just go to another FFL. And if it's going to happen one way or another, wouldn't you be better off getting at least the transfer fee out of them instead of being stubborn and getting nothing at all?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've been to at least one gun store that will refuse FFL transfers for any (new) gun they can get through their distributors. On one hand, I don't blame them. On the other hand, I'm not sure it makes economic sense.
    Refusing the transfer isn't going to stop anyone from completing the transaction, they'll just go to another FFL. And if it's going to happen one way or another, wouldn't you be better off getting at least the transfer fee out of them instead of being stubborn and getting nothing at all?
    Exactly. Plus they get a possible customer in the shop and can talk to them. Maybe the next purchase is made from their shop instead.

The FFL I work with doesn't even have a shop. I've been very much less than impressed with the shops up here in NWI. It is much easier to avoid them and their attempts to haggle from some stupidly high price.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Why a store would refuse to do a transfer is beyond me. I’ve had a few guns bought off gunbroker that were discontinued. Believe me, if I could skip the transfer and get them sent straight to my house I’d be more than happy.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I’ve tried to get gunshops to work with me in past. I’ve almost completely given up, until I found the one shop that I do all my business with now.

Ive found local gunshops get all bent out of shape when I try to get them to come down on prices of new guns when their price is $150 more than online.

I want to support local shops, but I can’t justify more than a $75 difference in price. Yes, that’s right, I am willing to pay $75 more to buy it locally. But, that’s my limit.

Most don’t even try to work with you, even a little. It’s a take it or leave it mentality. And I will leave it every time with that attitude.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I’ve tried to get gunshops to work with me in past. I’ve almost completely given up, until I found the one shop that I do all my business with now.

Ive found local gunshops get all bent out of shape when I try to get them to come down on prices of new guns when their price is $150 more than online.

I want to support local shops, but I can’t justify more than a $75 difference in price. Yes, that’s right, I am willing to pay $75 more to buy it locally. But, that’s my limit.

Most don’t even try to work with you, even a little. It’s a take it or leave it mentality. And I will leave it every time with that attitude.

Is that for a 250 dollar firearm for r a 1,000 dollar firearm?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    true...

but IMHO it's not right.

maybe it's just me being old and grumpy. :@ya:

If store A is interested in doing that, and offers the service, (in this case for a small fee), why not? There are stores that now process returns for Amazon, and they get paid to do it.

Certainly no one is forcing the FFL to do transfers.

I personally only do transfers at shops that value the business from transfers, and that is why I drive past many LGS to get to USDS for any transfers I do.

I don't make all my firearms purchases online, but do where it makes sense, and USDS does a great job on transfers and seems to value the business (They have a prominent spot on their website regarding transfers and openly post their FFL).

If an FFL doesn't want to do transfers, they generally price themselves out with high transfer fees (rather than just refusing transfers), which is fine. No one is forcing them to do them, or do them for free.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Any stocking FFL that transfers a firearm into his store that someone bought online, that the dealer can get and actually make profit on needs to go and take a class in running a small business.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You aren't the only one that doesn't like doing that. I give my LGS the first shot at what I want and to this day she has been cheaper every time. Used guns don't normally interest me unless it is someone I know. Then no FFL is needed.

When internet stores want to sell guns on line they should set up a net work of FFL to do there transfers and figure the transfer fee in there price. IF they don't I won't buy from them.

This type of selling is like picking up the parts for your car and dropping them off at your mechanic and wanting him to install them at just the labor cost and cutting out part of his profit. Then wonder why he went out of business.

never thought about the mechanic thing.
    granted the mechanic i go to tells me to bring him the parts and he will do the work. so ive never though about it that way.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The mechanic marks up the price of the parts because the customers complain about the labor cost. They complain about the parts cost also but they think there is nothing the mechanic can do about it.

The last I herd most not all gun shop marked up the suppliers price 10%. The more you sell the better deal you get from the supplier. A good comparison would any type of local store verses Wal Mart prices.

There a lot of reasons some shops don't want to be bothered with transfers.
    Business may be good enough for them.

They got burned on a few deals. Who pays the return shipping when the gun is not in the shape you were expecting. Who gets a bad name when the seller drags his feet on returning your money and the FFL doesn't want to get involved for $15.00 ect.

They take the route of high transfer fees because they don't want to be bothered and the next thing there name is all over the internet as being a thief.

Small shop and online dealers putting him out of business his attitude may be you don't want to help me why should I help you.

Then if you never ran a small business you have no idea what the expenses are.

Last but not least it could be the way he was talked to.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom