Recovered firearm from 12 yrs. ago/Insurance Co.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    So, approximately twelve years ago I had a Glock 19 and other items stolen from my residence. I filed the proper theft report with local PD. Filed claim with Insurance in which they paid out slightly above my deductible. So I recently got a phone call that the firearm was found in a hotel room in Santa Barbara CA and was being held by their local PD to test ballistics, etc... . They are now going to ship it to the local PD since it can't be traced to any specific crimes. After contacting that local PD, I was informed that they would have to send it to the insurance company that had paid the claim. I expect I'll have to argue a price with them in order to get the firearm back. I can't imagine it is in good shape... since it has had twelve years of who-knows-what to eventually end up in CA from IN, but who knows... it's a Glock.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and what should I expect from the insurance company?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    How does the PD have any idea what's going on with your insurance company? Did they ask?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I had a ATV stolen a few years ago. Insurance paid me for it. It was later recoveredand since insurance had paid me for it, they owned it. I could either accept their payment, or refund their money and file another claim for the reduced value. I took the money. Since the atv had been severely damaged, they negotiated with me a price for me to buy it back. As they described it "we're in the insurance business, not the junk atv business". Perhaps the insurance company will let you buy it, but I would probably just let it go unless they offer it to you at bargain basement discount.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Unless this firearm has some sort of sentimental value I would let it go.

Exactly. Glocks can be found anywhere, why would you want this one? (or want any Glock ;)) But, if it's cheap and decent, buy it.

You don't know who's pants it's been inside.

Is this just a run of the mill insurance co. or a firearm insurance co.? I wonder what an insurance co. would do with a $300 used generic gun; maybe give it to Benchmade. :stickpoke:

afcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Madison Co.
    That’s also something that’s been flagged now in who knows what kind of databases. Tempting, but I would let it go.

(Although if it were me, it would also probably drive me crazy and I would rationalize some manner of excuse for trying to get it back.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Weld a Sig barrel to it, spray paint it, put it on gunsamerica for $700. You'll be undercutting the guy with the "Colt" by $100. Make sure to use the word 'fotay' and misspell a bunch of others. Instant internet fame.

Or you could try the classifieds here, I've heard the Gen 2's are going for a premium.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seriously.....it is a G****. Unless it was a gift from someone special etc it is a utilitarian piece at best. You have been paid for it. Who knows where it has been.
    If it was an heirloom or collectors piece then yes go after it. But seriously.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Reminder: if you're an NRA member, you have insurance against loss of firearms up to $2000, or a lot more if you choose to purchase NRA FirearmsCare Plus.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Am I missing something? The G19 was no longer yours when you received payment from the insurance company. the G19 belongs to the insurance company. To me, trying to get the insurance company's pistol for free would be tantamount to stealing

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Am I missing something? The G19 was no longer yours when you received payment from the insurance company. the G19 belongs to the insurance company. To me, trying to get the insurance company's pistol for free would be tantamount to stealing

You're missing the part where they will (or might) sell it to him.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If the gun belongs to the insurance company and all parties know it, why would the PD's contact the original owner? Seems like the insurance company would be one's to contact the original owner when the have possession of "their" firearm that the claim had been paid for? :dunno:

I'm very happy I have never had to deal with insurance companies, other than the buckets of money I pay them.:rolleyes: That said, maybe there is a good deal to be had? Wonder how insurance companies typically handle firearms in this situation?

The other end of things is how do the gun's serial numbers come back off of stolen firearms lists? Is this something that gets done without error or flaw?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Exactly. Glocks can be found anywhere, why would you want this one? (or want any Glock ;)) But, if it's cheap and decent, buy it.

You don't know who's pants it's been inside.

That did NOT need to be purple...IF you decide to get this back a good cleaning is in order...I'd use gloves. Personally, I'd let it stay gone for all the reasons already expressed; I assume you replaced it years ago.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Thor, yes, replaced it shortly after stolen. I just posted this looking for suggestions or experience with a recovered weapon that technically the insurance co. owns since they paid me after it was stolen. Probably more bull**** to deal with to get it back than is worth the effort.

Thanks to all that had input regarding this issue.

Top Bottom