• ...and so much more!
  • Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I have created a Gun and Ammunition database that I built for myself, but I have had several of my buddies try it out and like it so I thought I would release it to the public. This will be a free program, and there is no charge to use it. We use to call it freeware.

I use it to keep track of my cleanings, when I shoot, which guns I use the most among others. I also use it to keep track of my reloading and recipes. It lets me keep an eye on my inventory of ammunition.

I was wondering if a few of you could try it out and help me beta test it. I can't imagine that I won't do some upgrades in the future, but the most part I consider it finished as I have pretty much reached my limits of working with databases. I would just like to find any bugs in the software that I might have missed. Of course I am always open to suggestions.

I will be more than happy to answer any questions about the functionality of the program. It is a complied Microsoft Access database, but you don't need to know anything about access to use it. If you don't own a copy of access there is a free runtime available from Microsoft and I have it documented in my Quick start guide.

In the link I will supply below I have a few screenshots to give you an idea of what it looks like. I don't imagine that this will be for everyone, and I built it for myself, so no hard feelings if you think it stinks!

If you do try it out, feel free to just explore it a bit.

Anyway here is a link to the database: Gun and Ammunition Database

BTW.. this is my domain, and I don't have popup adds and crap like that. Also this is stand alone software, it doesn't connect to the web, cloud or any other thing that would share the data. This is really some old school stuff.

Oh, one last thing. I split the program and data files, so as I upgrade the front end it will not change any of the data you have worked so hard to enter.

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited:

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I have created a Gun and Ammunition database that I built for myself, but I have had several of my buddies try it out and like it so I thought I would release it to the public. This will be a free program, and there is no charge to use it. We use to call it freeware.

I use it to keep track of my cleanings, when I shoot, which guns I use the most among others. I also use it to keep track of my reloading and recipes. It lets me keep an eye on my inventory of ammunition.

I was wondering if a few of you could try it out and help me beta test it. I can't imagine that I won't do some upgrades in the future, but the most part I consider it finished as I have pretty much reached my limits of working with databases. I would just like to find any bugs in the software that I might have missed. Of course I am always open to suggestions.

I will be more than happy to answer any questions about the functionality of the program. It is a complied Microsoft Access database, but you don't need to know anything about access to use it. If you don't own a copy of access there is a free runtime available from Microsoft and I have it documented in my Quick start guide.

Right now I just have the 64bit version, but will be working up a 32 bit version for those with older computers. I hope to have that ready next week.
    I have run this on windows xp through windows 10.

In the link I will supply below I have a few screenshots to give you an idea of what it looks like. I don't imagine that this will be for everyone, and I built it for myself, so no hard feelings if you think it stinks!

If you do try it out, feel free to just explore it a bit.

Anyway here is a link to the database: Gun and Ammunition Database

BTW.. this is my domain, and I don't have popup adds and crap like that. Also this is stand alone software, it doesn't connect to the web, cloud or any other thing that would share the data. This is really some old school stuff.

Oh, one last thing. I split the program and data files, so as I upgrade the front end it will not change any of the data you have worked so hard to enter.

Thanks,

Ron
    Would like to try it but I only have linux and mac. If you still have the source, I would be happy to compile into linux and mac binaries that you could put up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    THANKS, Looks GREAT, which Runtime Access do I need, 64 or 86 - THANKS

Right now the download for the database is 64 bit, so you would need to install the 64 bit version if you can. If you try and install it and it says you need the x86 version (32 bit), then you will need to install that. I hope to have the x86 version ready today. When I do I will post a link to that version.

I do this because of those folks who actually own access. You have to use the correct "bit" version with what you have installed 32 or 64.

Let me know if the 64 bit version of the runtime works or does not work if you don't mind.

thanks,

ron

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Thanks, I do Own Office, older version and have misplaced the discs. I DL Open Office to use temp. I really do not have a use for the expense of buying or renting Office since Retired - I'll give it a try - Thanks Again.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The database looks great, but I am also having trouble installing the Access Runtime in either version.

When I try to install the 64-bit version, I get this error:

SigJFH6.jpg

When I try to install the x86 version, I get this error:

TPxDOs7.jpg

I would love to try this, and I am open to any suggestions outside of uninstalling Office.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    The database looks great, but I am also having trouble installing the Access Runtime in either version.

When I try to install the 64-bit version, I get this error:

SigJFH6.jpg

When I try to install the x86 version, I get this error:

TPxDOs7.jpg

I would love to try this, and I am open to any suggestions outside of uninstalling Office.

It sounds like you already have office installed? Did your office install come with access? I know some versions like home and student don't include access.

If you do have access installed then you do not need the runtime.

Let me know and I will see if I can figure it out. Seems like I ran into this some time ago on one of the systems I support.

Ron

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Downloaded. Just tried it on Access2010. Database is not compatible with that old of a version of Access. Just an FYI. I know the effort that goes into such a program. I used to do relational databases in Delphi. Definitely showing my age.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Downloaded. Just tried it on Access2010. Database is not compatible with that old of a version of Access. Just an FYI. I know the effort that goes into such a program. I used to do relational databases in Delphi. Definitely showing my age.

I can fix that. Are you running 32 bit office or 64 bit office 2010?

Let me know and I will get you a link to try out.

Thanks,

Ron

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    It sounds like you already have office installed? Did your office install come with access? I know some versions like home and student don't include access.

If you do have access installed then you do not need the runtime.

Let me know and I will see if I can figure it out. Seems like I ran into this some time ago on one of the systems I support.

Ron

Thanks, no Access. Just Office Home.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    64-bit.

Thanks

Ok, here is a link to the file that should work for you in 64 bit office 2010. I have tested it on my 2010 office. Please let me know how it goes.

http://mainbytephotos.com/gun_database/gundatabase_office2010_64.zip

The above is just the "front end". You do not need to re-download the gundatabase_data file, as it will work with any version. Of course, you will need the gundatabase_data file in the same folder.

Thank you for working with this!

Ron

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    thank you very much. I will be looking into this. I despise online tools, and this standalone works offline from my non internet secure computer database looks to be perfect.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Ok, here is a link to the file that should work for you in 64 bit office 2010. I have tested it on my 2010 office. Please let me know how it goes.

http://mainbytephotos.com/gun_database/gundatabase_office2010_64.zip

The above is just the "front end". You do not need to re-download the gundatabase_data file, as it will work with any version. Of course, you will need the gundatabase_data file in the same folder.

Thank you for working with this!

Ron

Got the new file and installed. The first "bug" I encountered was that it was looking for a specific path for the database files and gave me this error, "c:\gun 64 office 2010\gundatabase_data.accdb is not a valid path."

Fixed that and moved the files to the new location.

Loaded the program and got the Security Warning as expected. Clicked OPEN and got the following:

error message 01.jpg

D6C2iDOzk4M6AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

If I click OK, it opens the screen and I can go to the tabs but no action is accepted in any of the databases and the only way out of any data input screen is to close the program. If I select CANCEL it displays this message continuously. I did get to the main screen eventually by clicking CANCEL multiple times. When to a TAB and it displayed after every mouse click.

ETA: photo

Top Bottom