Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53
  1. #1
    Dented Helmet Gaffer's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    My free Gun and Ammunition Database

    I have created a Gun and Ammunition database that I built for myself, but I have had several of my buddies try it out and like it so I thought I would release it to the public. This will be a free program, and there is no charge to use it. We use to call it freeware.

    I use it to keep track of my cleanings, when I shoot, which guns I use the most among others. I also use it to keep track of my reloading and recipes. It lets me keep an eye on my inventory of ammunition.

    I was wondering if a few of you could try it out and help me beta test it. I can't imagine that I won't do some upgrades in the future, but the most part I consider it finished as I have pretty much reached my limits of working with databases. I would just like to find any bugs in the software that I might have missed. Of course I am always open to suggestions.

    I will be more than happy to answer any questions about the functionality of the program. It is a complied Microsoft Access database, but you don't need to know anything about access to use it. If you don't own a copy of access there is a free runtime available from Microsoft and I have it documented in my Quick start guide.

    In the link I will supply below I have a few screenshots to give you an idea of what it looks like. I don't imagine that this will be for everyone, and I built it for myself, so no hard feelings if you think it stinks!

    If you do try it out, feel free to just explore it a bit.

    Anyway here is a link to the database: Gun and Ammunition Database

    BTW.. this is my domain, and I don't have popup adds and crap like that. Also this is stand alone software, it doesn't connect to the web, cloud or any other thing that would share the data. This is really some old school stuff.


    Oh, one last thing. I split the program and data files, so as I upgrade the front end it will not change any of the data you have worked so hard to enter.

    Thanks,

    Ron
    Last edited by Gaffer; 03-09-2019 at 20:43.

  2. #2
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    This looks very interesting going to have to check it out further. Well off to work.

  3. #3
    Master 223 Gunner's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Looks like a lot of time went into this, I will give it a try.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Test for Echo

  4. #4
    Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    I have created a Gun and Ammunition database that I built for myself, but I have had several of my buddies try it out and like it so I thought I would release it to the public. This will be a free program, and there is no charge to use it. We use to call it freeware.

    I use it to keep track of my cleanings, when I shoot, which guns I use the most among others. I also use it to keep track of my reloading and recipes. It lets me keep an eye on my inventory of ammunition.

    I was wondering if a few of you could try it out and help me beta test it. I can't imagine that I won't do some upgrades in the future, but the most part I consider it finished as I have pretty much reached my limits of working with databases. I would just like to find any bugs in the software that I might have missed. Of course I am always open to suggestions.

    I will be more than happy to answer any questions about the functionality of the program. It is a complied Microsoft Access database, but you don't need to know anything about access to use it. If you don't own a copy of access there is a free runtime available from Microsoft and I have it documented in my Quick start guide.

    Right now I just have the 64bit version, but will be working up a 32 bit version for those with older computers. I hope to have that ready next week.
    I have run this on windows xp through windows 10.

    In the link I will supply below I have a few screenshots to give you an idea of what it looks like. I don't imagine that this will be for everyone, and I built it for myself, so no hard feelings if you think it stinks!

    If you do try it out, feel free to just explore it a bit.

    Anyway here is a link to the database: Gun and Ammunition Database

    BTW.. this is my domain, and I don't have popup adds and crap like that. Also this is stand alone software, it doesn't connect to the web, cloud or any other thing that would share the data. This is really some old school stuff.


    Oh, one last thing. I split the program and data files, so as I upgrade the front end it will not change any of the data you have worked so hard to enter.

    Thanks,

    Ron
    Would like to try it but I only have linux and mac. If you still have the source, I would be happy to compile into linux and mac binaries that you could put up.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Grandmaster 4sarge's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    THANKS, Looks GREAT, which Runtime Access do I need, 64 or 86 - THANKS
    Freedom is defined by the character of those who defend it

  6. #6
    Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 4sarge View Post
    THANKS, Looks GREAT, which Runtime Access do I need, 64 or 86 - THANKS
    X86 would probably be best that way it could run on either.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Dented Helmet Gaffer's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 4sarge View Post
    THANKS, Looks GREAT, which Runtime Access do I need, 64 or 86 - THANKS
    Right now the download for the database is 64 bit, so you would need to install the 64 bit version if you can. If you try and install it and it says you need the x86 version (32 bit), then you will need to install that. I hope to have the x86 version ready today. When I do I will post a link to that version.

    I do this because of those folks who actually own access. You have to use the correct "bit" version with what you have installed 32 or 64.

    Let me know if the 64 bit version of the runtime works or does not work if you don't mind.

    thanks,

    ron

  8. #8
    Grandmaster 4sarge's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Thanks, I do Own Office, older version and have misplaced the discs. I DL Open Office to use temp. I really do not have a use for the expense of buying or renting Office since Retired - I'll give it a try - Thanks Again.
    Freedom is defined by the character of those who defend it

  9. #9
    Expert Doublehelix's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    The database looks great, but I am also having trouble installing the Access Runtime in either version.

    When I try to install the 64-bit version, I get this error:




    When I try to install the x86 version, I get this error:



    I would love to try this, and I am open to any suggestions outside of uninstalling Office.
    James

    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"
    ~Napoleon Bonaparte~

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  10. #10
    Dented Helmet Gaffer's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doublehelix View Post
    The database looks great, but I am also having trouble installing the Access Runtime in either version.

    When I try to install the 64-bit version, I get this error:




    When I try to install the x86 version, I get this error:



    I would love to try this, and I am open to any suggestions outside of uninstalling Office.
    It sounds like you already have office installed? Did your office install come with access? I know some versions like home and student don't include access.

    If you do have access installed then you do not need the runtime.

    Let me know and I will see if I can figure it out. Seems like I ran into this some time ago on one of the systems I support.

    Ron

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •