Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 218 of 228 FirstFirst ... 118 168 208 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 2271

User Info Menu

At 25 yards you should be able to consistently hit a dum dum sucker

Master

User Info Menu

Those are reasonable groups for your first time shooting at 100 yards with CCI SV.

What power scope were you using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Notice I said $$ and I really should have said $$$$.
    The under $100 scopes are going to leave you sorry you wasted the money on it. This is like buying a CZ Shadow 2...buy once, cry once..
    To see .22 holes at 100 yards with our old, not so good eyes, you need to be thinking $500 minimum and $1000 would be preferable.

You need very good and very large optics. 20x60x80mm (85mm is better). A Vortex Diamondback 20x600x80 is probably the minimum I would consider. I went to a Vortex Razor HD 20x60x85mm a few years ago when the scope I was able to use 20 years ago was no longer adequate for my aging eyes (and it was a very good scope). I got a good discount on a prior years model at the time.
    Spend the money now and you will never have to buy another.
    Call AA Optics and talk to the owner about your needs. He is a great guy and will point you in the right direction and also be able to let you know if he has any refurbished spotting scopes coming in.
    Don't go through the same learning curve as you did with firearms. You haven't regretted buying the expensive pistols and you won't regret buying a truly good spotting scope.
    Very wise input, gmcttr. You know me well.
    You are right. I don't regret paying good money for a good firearm & have double invested in what I have compared to when I started out the first year.
    You mentioned the Shadow 2.
    I would buy a Kadet .22LR kit for it just for fun if I thought it would cycle my SAO flat light trigger, but from what I've read, springs have to be switched out, not just the slide to make it work, then back again for the 9mm.
    Since I hate the Urban Grey (not grey, not tan, but an ugly combination I refer to as diaper brown), I've even thought of letting Allen Cerakote it.
    Or maybe just getting grips to go with the Urban Grey crap color: I've looked, too many choices.

I am stunned at the prices of a good spotting scope.

Quote Originally Posted by wtburnette View Post
    At 25 yards you should be able to consistently hit a dum dum sucker
    Got an intro to doing that with hitting push pins at Crosley, but that was only 30 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Those are reasonable groups for your first time shooting at 100 yards with CCI SV.
    What power scope were you using?

I thought the 10/22 was middling, but the RPR was all over the place!

Ruger 10/22 has a Nikon Prostaff 2 3-9 x 40 (50 yd. paralax)
    Ruger Precision Rifle has a Hawke Vantage 3-9 x 40 (Did not see paralax on box, maybe in manual.
    Last edited by doddg; 3 Weeks Ago at 21:23.

User Info Menu

Yeah, you're going to want a better scope. My Ruger American Rimfire Target has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6x24x50 that I use at 100 yards. My Anschutz has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16x40 which I use to shoot 50 yards. For my eyes those work pretty decently. I can also use 3x9x40 at 50 yards, but prefer my Vortex scopes at anything over 25 yards...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wtburnette View Post
    Yeah, you're going to want a better scope. My Ruger American Rimfire Target has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6x24x50 that I use at 100 yards. My Anschutz has a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16x40 which I use to shoot 50 yards. For my eyes those work pretty decently. I can also use 3x9x40 at 50 yards, but prefer my Vortex scopes at anything over 25 yards...

Gulp!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Iíve been using a Nikon P-Rimfire 3-9x50 on my 10/22. Works great and the app makes adjusting and understanding your rounds drop very easy. I shoot anywhere from 50-200 yds with it and Iím in my 40ís with bifocal. 200 yd is a guess on if you hit paper or not. Thatís where the more $$ comes into play.

User Info Menu

Had some fun with a new Savage 2 rifle that zachcz bought recently (name used with permission).
    It is just an inexpensive plinker for him, but I never met a gun I didn't want to try out & so he "forced" it on me today.
    Rifle was a basic Savage 2 with an inexpensive Barska or BSA scope (I think).
    It is a small rifle, and since the stock is short & the rings are a decent height, it didn't hurt my neck which I realized after I was 2 hours into it.

I first tried 100 yds, but I couldn't see where I was hitting with the scope or my binos, and the reason was that I wasn't even on the paper (2'x2' app.).
    Lesson learned.
    I went to 25 yds on paper plates to begin dialing it in, then went back to 100 yds. & still couldn't hit anything.
    Went to 50 yds & dialed it in & it shot as well as at 25 yds.
    Then finally went back to 100 yds and it was still shooting about 6-8" low, but I was in the game!

Wind was bad today, which accounted for some flyers, most of which didn't get posted.
    This inexpensive Savage 2 shot better today than I did with my own Ruger 10/22 & Ruger Precision Rifle, which really hacks me off!
    I know it says more about me than the gun, and I can only use the wind as an excuse for so long.

25 yd paper plates.
    They were blowing in the wind and I'd have to wait until they were vertical instead of horizontal when shooting.

100 yds. after a practice run when it was shooting 6-8" low

2nd attempt at 100 yds after "tweaking" a tad more on the above pic.

1st target of the day with my 10/22.

Today's 2nd pic at 100 yds. with my Ruger 10/22.
    This says RPR, but it is the Ruger 10/22 (I intended it to be the RPR, but was not satisfied with the shots the 10/22 did 1st target.
    Last edited by doddg; 3 Weeks Ago at 14:58.

User Info Menu

looks like the little savage works just fine. Seems like a very good budget option. I bet youíve shot it more than me now.

Quote Originally Posted by doddg View Post
    Had some fun with a new rifle that zachcz bought recently (name used with permission).
    It is just an inexpensive plinker for him, but I never met a gun I didn't want to try out & so he "forced" it on me today.
    Rifle was a basic Ruger American with an inexpensive Barska or BSA scope (I think).
    It is a small rifle, and since the stock is short & the rings are a decent height, it didn't hurt my neck which I realized after I was 2 hours into it.

I first tried 100 yds, but I couldn't see where I was hitting with the scope or my binos, and the reason was that I wasn't even on the paper (2'x2' app.).
    Lesson learned.
    I went to 25 yds on paper plates to begin dialing it in, then went back to 100 yds. & still couldn't hit anything.
    Went to 50 yds & dialed it in & it shot as well as at 25 yds.
    Then finally went back to 100 yds and it was still shooting about 6-8" low, but I was in the game!

Wind was bad today, which accounted for some flyers, most of which didn't get posted.
    This inexpensive Ruger shot better today than I did with my own Ruger 10/22 & Ruger Precision Rifle, which really hacks me off!
    I know it says more about me than the gun, and I can only use the wind as an excuse for so long.

25 yd paper plates.
    They were blowing in the wind and I'd have to wait until they were vertical instead of horizontal when shooting.

100 yds. after a practice run when it was shooting 6-8" low

2nd attempt at 100 yds after "tweaking" a tad more on the above pic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zachcz View Post
    looks like the little savage works just fine. Seems like a very good budget option. I bet youíve shot it more than me now.

I probably put nearly 200 rds. through it.
    I added a couple more posts to my original one including my 2 targets with the Ruger 10/22 showing my shame on how your Savage 2 shot better for me at half the price of either of my rifles & scopes!
    I know the short stock with the high rings was good for my neck, but I can't believe that was the X factor.
    Last edited by doddg; 3 Weeks Ago at 14:54.

User Info Menu

That's why I love trying new things, you never know when you'll try something that changes things for the better.