• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A friend of my son’s has inherited a nice collection of firearms and may be looking to sell off a part of that collection while keeping the more sentimentally important guns. He’s apparently not a gun guy, and asked my son to take a quick look at the collection to get a feel for value.

Apparently, the original collector had a taste for nice shotguns. All are either in mint unused condition or very well cared for but obviously used a lot. The type of stuff in that collection is a pair of nicely engraved and inlayed Krieghoff’s, a pair of Winchester Model 21s and a Winchester Model 1873 in .38 that dates to about 1889. There are around 30 in the collection from what I’m told.

What would be the best course of action for someone with a collection like that to go about selling some of them? Normally, I hate to see a collection liquidated but since the person that inherited them is not into guns, they would be wasted if he held on to all of them. I think that he’s planning on keeping a couple of the best though.

Anyone know of a decent local contact for higher end guns? Or, would a solid collection like that warrant looking into a nationally known seller?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    If I were going to liquidate my collection, and I did not wish to go to the trouble of doing it myself one at a time, I would contact these guys:

https://www.bidwickliff.com/

I have attended a few of their auctions, and they have impressed me as people that know what they are doing. They have excellent descriptions, along with excellent photos, and they seem to get every penny out of what they sell.

I have absolutely no idea what the details are about how much the seller gets versus their commission, etc. I can just tell you that I have seen them sell collections like what you describe that did very well as far as the selling price.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When I hear "old guns" I think of Indiucky. If he can't personally help you, I bet you he knows who to send you to.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks guys, both are great suggestions. I didn’t even think of Indiucky until you mentioned him, but he could be very helpful with this type of stuff.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    NOT a gun shop, I know that. I'm sure you do too. They'll pay pennies on the dollar.
    Pay someone he trusts to list and sell them on gunbroker. The reason I say pay is because it would be a lot of work and time but worth it in the end.

Last edited:

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    500 Guns in Indianapolis deals in high-end guns like that Krieghoff. Most gunshops either don't have the $$$ to buy something like that or don't have a good market for it.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    If they are hi end guns you need wide expositor you need to contact rockisland auctions ,Jullia auctions .But expect any auction company to take a large chunk of money for expenses and you will be taxed on the profit you make .usual rule of thumb is 1/3of sale price will go to auction house.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...and you will be taxed on the profit you make...

There is no Federal tax on inheritance under ~$5mil and the estate would have paid that if it applied.

When dad passed we were left with a significant collection of sewing machines and had no idea of realistic values.

We found a business that specialized in these machines and even though he takes a 50% cut, I am convinced we came out ahead of any other way we could have gone.

With his worldwide connections with serious collectors he was able to get prices beyond anything we ever expected plus he came out from the east coast and picked up all of the collection.

Short version = sometimes high commissions can be well worth it for high value collectibles.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Collections are assembled over time and sold as time progresses, we are all just temporary caretakers of these tangible manifestations of history. Gunbroker, Indiucky or both maybe. Like Walt says, hi end stuff needs maximum exposure to get the best dollar, and somebody needs to know what they are listing. The 1873 in ".38" is actually 38-40, something completely different than say an Uberti 1873 in 38 special.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    From what I've heard, this is another option. Fair value and real easy to deal with. A simple phone call will get it started.

https://www.durysguns.com/sell-your-guns/

If you do not live near San Antonio, please give us a call at 210-531-2629 or 210-531-2629 . We can help you in various ways to simplify the selling process, from estimating the value of your firearm to providing a shipping box with a convenient pre-addressed UPS call tag. (A UPS call tag sends a UPS representative to pick up your gun from your home.)

For more sizable collections, arrangements can be made for a personel visit to your location.

When you are ready to sell your guns, please give us a call.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Sounds like Indy may be the way to go. I know my LGS helps with such things in the way of selling on consignment and taking 10% of the sale price, but it's over an hour from Greenwood. If you could find someone like that though in his area who would take care of it for a lower fee that would be nice so he's getting the most for their value. No way he'd want to sell them outright to a shop just because he'd take such a hit. Doing an auction can also be risky but with certain items I'm sure it could be the way to go.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    He will reap the most money selling them himself on gunbroker. With that said, figure about 3 hours minimum per gun in taking pics, listing, answering questions, receiving payment, contacting receiving dealers, packing, shipping, following up on the sale and watching to make sure delivery was completed. Gunbroker is also not a cheap as it used to be when I was selling a lot several years back as I was surprised recently in the selling fees once completed. A local auction might be a good choice for quicker handing of the guns and getting rid of them all at once.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    https://www.rockislandauction.com You have the up front cost of shipping and 25% auction premium but worldwide exposure if it is truly a high end fire arm. Look at the past auctions and search the high end guns. The seller is reaping 100% of the net anyway it goes. Limited market will have limited selling price. It could be 6-8 month ordeal. If they want to make an appointment and take the guns there for an appraisal only, that is an option too.

Top Bottom