Looking into purchasing an M39 mosin and wanting some input from owners.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iseden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Muncie
    Hello, INGO. Long to no see. I posted here a few years ago regarding purchasing a standard 91/30. Now I am looking for an M39. I was wondering if there were any here who could speak from experience. The rifles that are out there go for at least $500 from what I am seeing on the web. Are they still worth that? How long do the barrels last? 5k rounds, 10k rounds? Where can I find them besides gunbroker? Anyone know of any stores around midcentral that have any? Is there any notable vendors that would have them this weekend at the 1500?

Thank you, I appreciate any and all help.

rotag84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Hello, INGO. Long to no see. I posted here a few years ago regarding purchasing a standard 91/30. Now I am looking for an M39. I was wondering if there were any here who could speak from experience. The rifles that are out there go for at least $500 from what I am seeing on the web. Are they still worth that? How long do the barrels last? 5k rounds, 10k rounds? Where can I find them besides gunbroker? Anyone know of any stores around midcentral that have any? Is there any notable vendors that would have them this weekend at the 1500?

You looking for a carbine or the Finnish M39 specifically?
    You can find the Type 53 (Chineese) for a lot less. I bought one a few years ago for less than $150.00 The wood may be a little rough but the thing shoots great and the spike bayo is pretty cool. Keep in mind, that is a lot of 'cartridge' for a carbine. It is the loudest gun I have fired and kicks like a 12 ga. with slug. Lol.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C

I haven't really been keeping an eye on prices lately but $500 doesn't really sound like a bad deal. These weren't made in the millions like the Soviet ones, not to mention they're a much higher quality rifle. IIRC the last big import of the M39 was about 10 years ago, if not longer. Depending on what you're looking for, gunbroker will probably be your best bet to find one but prices are likely to be higher. If you aren't in a hurry a good place to look is the big Louisville show or you could contact Indiucky here on the board and see what he has. His shop is located in Clarksville but is very easy to get to from I65. As far as shops closer to you, I can't help there.
    One other thing from personal experience. I've got a bunch of M39s and I've found that my best shooters have all been issued. Lots of wear and and use marks but the barrels are excellent. My favorite shooter has little to no blue, the stock is nailed together in a couple of places with lots of dings, dents, and scratches, but the barrel while showing some wear is spotless. Also the bolt can be opened with just a quick flip using 2 fingers.
    A couple of pics of a few of mine, just to"help".
    jAwBPuA.jpg

0To3FF5.jpg

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have 3 M39's, a Sako, a VKT, and a SKy. Bought them back in 2001 or so when they were cheap. To find one now you have to look on the secondary market. They might pop up here and there at a brick and mortar store from a private sale but they are not being imported any longer. $500 is not a bad price. They are wonderful rifles. Not sure how long the barrels last, likely more than you can shoot it. You might find one at the 1500 but it is hit and miss on price. It wouldn't surprise me to see an average example to be priced at $700 there. You never know though.

lASIce7.jpg

LbxnHFI.jpg

K00h2TP.jpg

Iseden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2014
    Muncie
    Thanks all for the help. You all have some beautiful rifles. Working with a seller in OH now, hopefully will have a new-to-me M39 soon. If anyone sees any for sale here in IN within the next month or so, please let me know! Thanks again.

DoubleJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    Several years ago I owned a few of the Mosin Nagant varieties but chose to get out of the Russian vintage rifles because of their lack of the basic safety feature of a gas relief hole. In the event of a blown primer or a case head separation the hot gasses of the burning powder will be directed into the face of the shooter rather then harmlessly out the side of the rifle. In very old surplus ammunition, cases that have been reloaded a few to many times, or hot loads this is not uncommon. Make sure and wear quality eye protection.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Several years ago I owned a few of the Mosin Nagant varieties but chose to get out of the Russian vintage rifles because of their lack of the basic safety feature of a gas relief hole. In the event of a blown primer or a case head separation the hot gasses of the burning powder will be directed into the face of the shooter rather then harmlessly out the side of the rifle. In very old surplus ammunition, cases that have been reloaded a few to many times, or hot loads this is not uncommon. Make sure and wear quality eye protection.

Not true. The Mosin action vents the gases out around the bolt head/body/guide rod junction. The firing pin being threaded into the cocking piece precludes gases coming out of the back of the bolt, and the cocking piece also diverts away any gases that might escape down the bolt lug raceways. I've shot cases of questionable quality x54r ammo, had multiple primers leak, pierce, and blowout, had many instances of cases crack and the worst I had was I felt a tiny puff of gas on my hair.
    But yes, always wear your eye protection!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not an expert but I own a lot of Mosin variations, including the M39.

Here is a link where you can pick some up, I ordered mine from here: https://www.empirearms.com/rifles.htm

The basic idea of the M39 is an overall improvement of accuracy over the M91/30. The Russians built a rifle that was made for peasants to fire, in large quantities at the enemy. As the Fins didn't have the mass manufacturing ability at the time they would use captured receivers and other parts, while manufacturing some for themselves. The biggest thing they did was throw away the barrels and replace them with much more accurate barrels, overall. They knew their army was smaller and needed to make every shot count, for real. Thus the improvement in accuracy.

They are a good model to have in a Mosin collection and with the family connection that would be great.

I haven't bought in years so listen to the others, I am out of date with prices.

Good luck,

Doug

Top Bottom