• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I flat out refuse to do business there. Stuck up know-it-all staff that doesn't actually know anything. Very rude and condescending sales staff. Sale prices may be decent, normal prices are insane, to the point of being insulting.

If you don't mind being treated like crap after waiting 45 minutes for a sales person to actually acknowledge you, this is your store.

I've had so many terrible experiences there over the last 10 or so years. I've finally called it quits. I gave them way too many chances.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have always gotten good service there. Sometimes too many offers to help me if I am loafing too slow. I always wait for my guy to get free if he is busy. He remembers my name, wife’s name, so worth waiting for.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I flat out refuse to do business there. Stuck up know-it-all staff that doesn't actually know anything. Very rude and condescending sales staff. Sale prices may be decent, normal prices are insane, to the point of being insulting.

If you don't mind being treated like crap after waiting 45 minutes for a sales person to actually acknowledge you, this is your store.

I've had so many terrible experiences there over the last 10 or so years. I've finally called it quits. I gave them way too many chances.

Sorry you have had bad experiences there, I have had pretty good ones. I drive over 60 miles there if they have something I want.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Sorry you have had bad experiences there, I have had pretty good ones. I drive over 60 miles there if they have something I want.

Me, and everyone I know. I've never even heard of anyone getting good service there. Most of the people I know that are into guns refuse to do business with them. I am a huge fan of Top Shot Armory in South Bend. Fantastic service, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Their generous LE discount certainly helps, but I will gladly pay more to support a company that treats me right.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Never bought a thing there, spent hours there waiting on car service several times. Never rushed, always asked by most everyone there if they can help me. Always been shown anything I wanted to see even though clearly stating I was just browsing killing time during car service.

Dimik

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2018
    Mishawaka
    I live 2 blocks from that place and I love it. The wait times are indeed really long sometimes, but it's not because they're ignoring you, but because there are so many people. If you come when it's not busy, it's quite fast. I got friendly, or at least on first name basis, with a couple of guys there and they always treat me right. All others I've deal with are really nice and helpful, and have a sense of humor. One tends to be a little patronizing, but not in an intentionally bad way. It seems that he's just trying to dissuade you from buying something you may not really like down the road. Yeah, in retrospect, his patronizing advice was right... but I could do without being treated like I'm mentally infirm haha. Anyway, overall I love that place. Couldn't recommend it high enough.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've been going there since they were in the 100 Center. Yes, I've had to wait on service sometimes. But I've also got to know a few of the employees for a time. I currently don't know any of them but I still get good service when I stop in.

I also shop at Top Shot. The last gun I bought from an FFL was from Top Shot. They are great people there too. But they just don't have the selection of guns that MGE has. But if you're building an AR, Top Shot is the place to go.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

This^^^^^^^^^^^^

When we lived close enough to shop there went in there several times each time very dissatisfied.

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    Sale and selection looks to be pretty decent, I may take a ride to check it out when boredom over takes me. Does anyone know if they have a large selection of used guns ?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I never, never buy from MGE unless they have an item on sale. As was mentioned earlier, their normal prices are insulting.

Dimik

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2018
    Mishawaka
    Sale and selection looks to be pretty decent, I may take a ride to check it out when boredom over takes me. Does anyone know if they have a large selection of used guns ?

It's decent. I wouldn't say very large. The prices on the used guns though, are ridiculous. Like 30 bucks less than if you buy new.

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    I've bought several handguns from them. It is a good idea to wait for a sale. Never had an issue. Helpful staff, polite and friendly. I purchased a Ruger LCP at their old place on Lincolnway. The frame chipped at the take-out pin and Ruger sent me a new LCP (Great Customer Service). I had them send the new gun to Midwest (New Store On Grape Road) and when they found out I purchased the original from them there was zero FFL charge. Sorry some of you had bad experiences, but over the years, I've had real good service and would recommend them without reservation.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Went up there a while back because they advertised a 10% less than dealer cost on a handgun that I was looking for. When I got there (an hour and a half drive) they were very courteous, quick and somewhat knowledgeable, but the sale price was more on the lines of MSRP + 10%. I smiled and thanked them for their time and left.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

They have a decent amount of used guns (white price tags). Honestly, their prices on used stuff are usually not all that great. Once in a while you can find a good deal.

One thing to remember is Midwest is also a distributor. MGE Wholesale is their wholesale name. That is how they can offer some really really good sales prices.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would agree that their used prices aren't great and the sales staff must not get much incentive to move them either. My guy will knock more off of a new one than he will a used one.
    You definitely want to watch their sales. They sometimes will put stuff on sale for way less than you can buy at other shops.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Get to SB/Mishawaka 2-3 times a year, and have been stopping there for about 8 years or so. My experience has been that the rudeness / inattentiveness issues WERE real, but it seems like they've fixed them over the past 3 years or so. But I understand - it takes me a long time, if ever, to go back to a place where I felt I was treated badly.

Like anything, you need to shop carefully. In addition to good sales, I've found that when asked, they often come down to a competitive price on new items. I wouldn't trade a used gun there unless I was desperate. The selection of guns and accessories is hard to beat, and the store is clean, well-lit, and modern.

For those who haven't been there, don't be scared off by the negative comments - check it out and decide for yourself. Just be sure to know what an item should cost before you go.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    LP, a lot of my bad experiences were within the last three years. The one that put me over the edge was last month.

I go there to handle guns that I'm thinking about buying, then buy them from Top Shot, or order them online.

I've given them more chances than they deserve, and they will never see another dollar from me.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    It helps to deal with the same sales person every time. If they know you are a serious buyer then they are serious sellers. The price on the tag is just that a price on the tag. If you are a regular buyer they will always come down on the price. They get a lot of tire kickers due to there location on Grape road......

Top Bottom