• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    So, last year I picked up a new AR10 complete lower because the price was just too good to pass up.

Since then, I have been going back and forth, up and down and side to side on what to set on top of the lower.

.308 Winchester 18" upper or a 6.5 Creedmore 20" upper??

I have read every article, comparing the two, that I can find. My intended purpose for the rifle? The occasional Midwest Whitetail hunt, maybe a Pronghorn hunt, hog hunt (slim chance, as I have a .450 Bushmaster AR and lever guns in .45 Colt)

Now, I am leaning towards the .308 because I already have reloading dies and a caliber conversion for my Dillon machine, plus a bit of brass and bullets for .308

Looking at $100 bill difference in the price of the uppers. I don't mind spending the extra $$, if I am going to see butterflies, eat cotton candy, while riding a unicorn stallion, when I shoot the 6.5 Creedmore but I seriously doubt that's the case.

What say you? Who has owned/shot both and why would YOU lean towards one or the other, given my prameters?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I would say if you're not going to shoot past 400 yards stay with 308. There really is no benefit to the creedmor round till after that from everything i have read. I went thru the same thing of figuring out which caliber i wanted between the 2 and ultimately not having access to shoot past 400 yards helped make my decision to just stay with 308.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    So, last year I picked up a new AR10 complete lower because the price was just too good to pass up.

Since then, I have been going back and forth, up and down and side to side on what to set on top of the lower.

I have read every article, comparing the two, that I can find. My intended purpose for the rifle? The occasional Midwest Whitetail hunt, maybe a Pronghorn hunt, hog hunt (slim chance, as I have a .450 Bushmaster AR and lever guns in .45 Colt)

Now, I am leaning towards the .308 because I already have reloading dies and a caliber conversion for my Dillon machine, plus a bit of brass and bullets for .308

Looking at $100 bill difference in the price of the uppers. I don't mind spending the extra $$, if I am going to see butterflies, eat cotton candy, while riding a unicorn stallion, when I shoot the 6.5 Creedmore but I seriously doubt that's the case.

What say you? Who has owned/shot both and why would YOU lean towards one or the other, given my prameters?
    You will not believe the extended reach difference the creedmoor has in its favor. The hold at 1000 yards is about half what the 308 is.. i love the 308 but once I tried creedmoor for range and accuracy it definitely has the edge

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states

But be careful build big frame ARs, the compatibility is all over the place unlike the AR15. Just because a ar10 upper says is dpms doesnt mean it will fit any given dpms lower

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    You will not believe the extended reach difference the creedmoor has in its favor. The hold at 1000 yards is about half what the 308 is.. i love the 308 but once I tried creedmoor for range and accuracy it definitely has the edge

Definitely agree with this. If you uave access to shoot long distance. 6.5 creedmor definitely out performs 308. Stays supersonic for about another 300 yards over 308.
    Like i said in my original reply, all depends what distance you have available to you to shoot

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Definitely agree with this. If you uave access to shoot long distance. 6.5 creedmor definitely out performs 308. Stays supersonic for about another 300 yards over 308.
    Like i said in my original reply, all depends what distance you have available to you to shoot
    I would definitely agree.. I think in the close to middle yard range the 308 can offer everything the CM can and then some but long range... 8.4mil hold compared to 14-15mil hold is pretty substantial:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

For your wants and wishes I'd stay with the .308 since you're set up to reload.
    The 6.5cm has advantages out to glass only ranges over the .308. That being said the .308 will do anything you're asking it to do. IF you're going to take 600 yard and longer shots you'll gain a little advantage with the CM.
    I've only owned a 6.5cm for close to a year. I was introduced to the 7.62/51 over 40 years ago. I have 3 rifles in .308. It's done everything it's ever been asked to do. It's available over the counter if needed and lots of surplus to be had if needed. I wouldn't necessarily count out surplus before you give it a shot.
    Heck, look around for a great deal on a quality upper. That might be the determining factor.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states

May I ask what brand lower you have?

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    It's a Gen. 2 PSA PA-10
    Cool, I would definitely get PSA upper then and maybe have the face lapped true or at least check it for true. Some may disagree with me but I've built several from psa parts and most have needed the front of the upper to have a minor true up but other than that they turned out to be tack drivers when mated up with shilen or criterion barrels.. I've never tried just the psa barrels.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would say if you're not going to shoot past 400 yards stay with 308. There really is no benefit to the creedmor round till after that from everything i have read. I went thru the same thing of figuring out which caliber i wanted between the 2 and ultimately not having access to shoot past 400 yards helped make my decision to just stay with 308.

^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^

My AR-10 is deadly out to 400 in .308.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Since we are talking AR platform, I was also thinking that if I did want to get into the 6.5 Creedmore round, I would probably want to do it with a bolt gun.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Since we are talking AR platform, I was also thinking that if I did want to get into the 6.5 Creedmore round, I would probably want to do it with a bolt gun.
    A few years ago I would have agreed with that but these days you can build precision ARs that will keep up with bolt guns..

Top Bottom