• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    30minute fire rating. 14 ga steel. I think it’s a steal. I realize it’snot a custom made safe like a Johnson, but damn, for that price I don’t think you can go wrong.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Ive got that same safe but I bought mine at tractor supply. 5 years now and not a problem. I do have a 24 gun from the same series that I had to change the combo pad but that wasn't any big deal.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve got one. Damned fine safe for the money. Bolted down, full up, you’d have to drag it through a wall in my house with a truck and collapse my roof to get it out. As with all safes, they can grind through the sides in time of course. Build furniture around it!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I don’t see ships free. It added $199 shipping when I put it in the cart. If it ships free with a code, let me know and I’m buying another at $599!

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Change the the zip code. If your zip code isn’t free, ship it to my house and we can arrange pick up if you’d like.

nmxan7.png

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    im looking at a safe too, academy has a sale going on now, buy a gun and get 10% off a safe, i was looking at their browning fmj

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/browning-fmj-49-gun-safe#repChildCatid=5411506 (with a 199 delivery fee)

so if I bought a heritage rough rider and saved 10% of the safe, the gun would be free basically, but I went to tractor supply and looked at this one

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cannon-super-wide-body-80-gun-fire-safe?cm_vc=-10005

I think im going with the cannon from tractor supply, the tractor supply cannon is on sale for 1149, and they said they have a delivery service that would put it in my house, where I want it for about 100 bucks! (I live in Evansville, and they have a local delivery service the use, the tsc delivery charge is 250, delivered to the street!)

and remember the rule for buying a safe...always buy one that bigger than you need!, cause you'll always buy more guns!, and I think that safe is big enough, the browning it would be doubtful, and I could use another safe for ammo!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What do you do when the electronic lock fails? Key override?

Every single consumer-grade safe/box I've ever had with an electronic lock has had the lock fail. Some after only a few years, some after 20, but they've all failed.

However, I still have a safe with a mechanical lock from my grandfather that's going strong.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What do you do when the electronic lock fails? Key override?

Every single consumer-grade safe/box I've ever had with an electronic lock has had the lock fail. Some after only a few years, some after 20, but they've all failed.

However, I still have a safe with a mechanical lock from my grandfather that's going strong.

For a 14 ga steel Cannon safe, a hammer, small pry bar, and pinch point bar will do the trick pretty quickly. Those locking bolts may look solid, but they're likely just welded to a threaded rod.

[video=youtube;6LgKThatkjM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LgKThatkjM[/video]

I've never understood coupling a (rather hard to defeat) keypad with a cheap lock that can be picked in seconds. I'll stick will S&G or La Gard dials.

Of course, this isn't to say that the safe in question isn't a good deal, and any safe is better than no safe... it's all a series of trade-offs.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Pro's & Cons-- At just 55 inches tall, I would have to think hard about where it goes. Does it have interior top shelf for handguns & valuable documents? OTOH, if it goes in a den, family room, etc. there is space on top for TV, radio, shelving for knick-knacks.

As for security from seriously intent burglary, virtually all safes under $2000 can be breached by a grinder & enough time. For folks with ADT or similar home security and a nearby fire station, it prevents the smash & grab or deters the occasional teenager by showing everything valuable is locked up.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Any containment system is only a deterrent.
    With time, anything can be defeated. You are trying to make it more difficult than it is worth.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I went with these guys and haven’t looked back. Just order your bins from ULINE instead, where they’re a lot cheaper:

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/

I kind of like their approach - quit making storage lockers that look like safes. Those lockers are

If a thief could see that all I got is a bunch of old bolt action milsurp, then maybe they'll just move on to the neighbors house.

As an alternative, if you've got a closet that you can reinforce, add Type X drywall...
    https://www.snapsafe.com/specialty-safes/vault-room-door

Last edited:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had one at my previous house. Traded it because it was huge and no good place for it at the new house. I loved having a safe big enough to store all my guns,ammo holsters and everything. It was huge. Now I just have a couple smaller ones.

That being said have a minimum of 3-4 grown men with good backs who can help you move it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom