• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    I’ve finally reached a milestone and am welcoming of polymer Sig Sauer handguns. I bought my very first handgun around 2008 when all of those German Sig Sauer P6’s were around $250 (man, I wish I bought more). Since then I’ve been anti plastic Sigs and have felt like a real Sig Sauer needs to have a full metal frame... but this P320 has been calling my name.

Did it take anyone else long to adapt? Or anyone else strictly against plastic Sigs?

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I’ve finally reached a milestone and am welcoming of polymer Sig Sauer handguns. I bought my very first handgun around 2008 when all of those German Sig Sauer P6’s were around $250 (man, I wish I bought more). Since then I’ve been anti plastic Sigs and have felt like a real Sig Sauer needs to have a full metal frame... but this P320 has been calling my name.

Did it take anyone else long to adapt? Or anyone else strictly against plastic Sigs?

It took me a while. I was pretty cold to Sigs in general and pretty meh about plastic guns. To me, the pinnacle of handguns were the Beretta 92 for 9mm and the 1911 for .45 (I never really warmed to the Browning Hi-power, various CZs, or the old school S&W autos).

But, I went to a corporate sponsored shooting event and we had some leftover picks for handgun rentals and our RO suggested we try the Sig P320 X5. I was skeptical, but it wasn't my money, so whatever.

However, once I shot that X5, it was pretty much love at first round. I loved how it pointed and how it shot. To add insult to injury, a Beretta M9a3 was one of the other rental guns and it was unreliable and had pins walking out. Plus, it felt, somehow, more cheaply built than my old Beretta 92FS police trade-in that I picked up in the late 90s.

I went out after the event and bought a used P320 X4 and since then, my Glock 17 and my Beretta 92 have generally sat in the safe and the X5 has been the 9mm I take to the range.

I can't really speak to the other P320 variants, but the X5 is really nice.

I will say, the P320 has me reconsidering picking up some of the older steel Sigs. I see some old police P220s and P226s at gun shows and I might snap one up if the price is right.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    It took me a while. I was pretty cold to Sigs in general and pretty meh about plastic guns. To me, the pinnacle of handguns were the Beretta 92 for 9mm and the 1911 for .45 (I never really warmed to the Browning Hi-power, various CZs, or the old school S&W autos).

But, I went to a corporate sponsored shooting event and we had some leftover picks for handgun rentals and our RO suggested we try the Sig P320 X5. I was skeptical, but it wasn't my money, so whatever.

However, once I shot that X5, it was pretty much love at first round. I loved how it pointed and how it shot. To add insult to injury, a Beretta M9a3 was one of the other rental guns and it was unreliable and had pins walking out. Plus, it felt, somehow, more cheaply built than my old Beretta 92FS police trade-in that I picked up in the late 90s.

I went out after the event and bought a used P320 X4 and since then, my Glock 17 and my Beretta 92 have generally sat in the safe and the X5 has been the 9mm I take to the range.

I can't really speak to the other P320 variants, but the X5 is really nice.

I will say, the P320 has me reconsidering picking up some of the older steel Sigs. I see some old police P220s and P226s at gun shows and I might snap one up if the price is right.

Beo, have you ever shot a Steyr 9mm? (Just curious)
    It is the only 9mm/40SW poly I have ever liked.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Beo, have you ever shot a Steyr 9mm? (Just curious)
    It is the only 9mm/40SW poly I have ever liked.

I haven't actually. I'd be willing to try if I run across one. I find virtually every gun is worth shooting at least once, even if it only servers to let you figure out that you never want to shoot it again. :cool:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Plastic guns...if you can't take the heat neither can your gun, get out of the kitchen. The frame of your firearm shouldn't cost less than the magazine that feeds it.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've put rubber grips on a couple of revolvers but I am not real proud of that and consider it a flaw in my character....I put an ice cube in a bourbon once as well...We're all flawed one way or another I suppose....

I feel you on that one. I love the look of a classic revolver, a Colt or a Smith (particularly a military gun) with nice wood grips. But I'll be honest, with a heavy loaded .45 LC or a .357 (or .44 Mag), those fugly rubber Hogue grips make those guns way more comfortable to shoot.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive owned many "plastic" guns and still have a few, but ones that never seem to get sold or traded are the all steel ones(or aluminum framed in the case of my Arex pistols)

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I haven't actually. I'd be willing to try if I run across one. I find virtually every gun is worth shooting at least once, even if it only servers to let you figure out that you never want to shoot it again. :cool:
    I see you are in NW Indy area. I am on the north end of Hamilton county. Let me know if you want to try my C9-A1.
    In the mean time...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUpw0fOILRA

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I feel you on that one. I love the look of a classic revolver, a Colt or a Smith (particularly a military gun) with nice wood grips. But I'll be honest, with a heavy loaded .45 LC or a .357 (or .44 Mag), those fugly rubber Hogue grips make those guns way more comfortable to shoot.

Yep...Mammynun was up at the farm and we were shooting .44 mags...I had little wooded CCW boot grips on my 629...Fine with 44 special and some downloaded 44 magnums a buddy loads for D/A shooting....Mammynun handed me a couple of 44 magnum deer grenades to try and it like to beat me to death...I went and bought some rubber Hogue's for her the next day.....

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Whoa, wait a minute, they make guns out of something other than blue steel and walnut? That's crazy talk! :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I remember when the Ruger P95 first came out, which was either a very early plastic frame pistol or one of the first. A magazine did a 20,000 round torture test, and found no measurable wear in the all plastic frame. Yes all plastic, as in no metal rails embedded in the plastic. They then ran hot and cold test on it for another 500 rounds and the pistol didn't care. I ordered one immediately.

Years later that P95 is still with me, and still an amazing shooter.

With plastic frame pistols being so much lighter than steel or aluminum frames, a skinny runt like myself can more easily carry one. My first conversion to plastic carry was the Beretta PX4 Storm. Then I downsized to the featherweight Kahr PM9 which I bought when they first came out. I have since put several thousand rounds through it maintaining my proficiency, and it still is tight and shows no visible wear.

And with the recent earthquake producing Sig P365, I couldn't help moving to that since it is only a hair larger than my PM9 and provides 4 extra rounds of I hope I never need them.

Plastic frame firearms have come a long way since the original idea, and have proven to be very reliable.

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    Yeah they have. To be fair, after my P6 I bought a Sig Sauer 2022 and it rattled light a paint can. I was extremely biased. It’s crazy how far they’ve come in the past 10 years.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm not old enough to remember when manufacturers were making the switch to polymer so I don't mind them. I don't know any different.

Granted, they don't look as nice as a steel frame revolver or semi-auto with wood grips. That's a cool, classic look. I'm just one guy though.

Top Bottom