• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I would like to find out the "Rate of Fire" for certain machine guns I have video/audio. With and without suppressors.
    Also for semi-autos when my finger cooperates.

Are there any programs online that can do this that anyone would recommend? :ar15:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    probably nothing as easy as you'd like. I'd suggest any cheap program that can turn the audio volume into a waveform and look for the spikes then compare to the timestamp. even the basic windows or mac movie maker software oughta work too if you have video with muzzle flashes.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm not aware of any programs but I think even editing with YouTube can break the video down frame by frame. If you know how many frames per second the video is shot at, you can figure it out pretty easy.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    As a guess, you could treat it like music and look for beats per minute, each shot being a beat.

There is a linix tool called "bpm-tools"

I've never used it but it looks pretty straight forward.

If you send me an audio recording of the gun firing I can try to calculate the bpm which should be close to rate of fire.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks for the info.
    Before I sit down and check out programs I went over the vids I do have.

One vid shows a 30rd mag dump without a suppressor. (I can do something with that) The rest weren't full mag dumps, just partials and 3rd bursts with a suppressor. I'll try to get more vids to make it easier.

Please check my math - Rounds Per Minute - RPM
    Stopwatched a 30rd mag dump - 3.08sec. (average after 10 tries)
    60sec divided by 3.08sec = 19.48
    19.48 times 30rds = 584.4
    584.4 RPM - (without a suppressor)

If I had a 30rd mag dump of the same gun and ammo but WITH the suppressor, I could use the same figuring. I will work on that. :):

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If you don't mind me asking.

What are you after here?
    Is it just a curiosity, are researching for a paper, are you trying to gauge your rate of fire against an average?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have a family gun that I was always curious to know what the rate was with and without the suppressor.
    ...and if there was an easy program out there I could also get the rate of my kids fast fingers on some semi guns.

In the past I checked our some of those competition "Shot Timers" BUT most the guys I talked to didn't know if they were fast enough to pick up on a machinegun. Semi - Yes. None of the guys could tell me the rate of fire limits for each one and I don't have the money to buy a bunch of samples to find out so I gave up on that road altogether.

What, don't competitive guys also shoot machineguns? :dunno:

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Right on. Either way I may try to find some audio files and test my bpm hypothesis just for the hell of it.

If you any feel free to send em over

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Here is a video that Jerry Miculek is shooting using some sort of timer for full auto (around the 2:30 mark).

[video=youtube;UCmHxieQduE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmHxieQduE[/video]

Ron

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Here is a video that Jerry Miculek is shooting using some sort of timer for full auto (around the 2:30 mark).

[video=youtube;UCmHxieQduE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmHxieQduE[/video]

Ron

So which timer was that one? It looks big and expensive. :rolleyes:

xrgzCiO.png

AdamP123

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2017
    West-Central
    I have used the app SHOT TIMER and it will give you a count of the shots fired within a set period of time. If you know how many shots are fired within, say, 10 seconds, rounds per minute would be easy to calculate. It's free too. Give it a try.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have used the app SHOT TIMER and it will give you a count of the shots fired within a set period of time. If you know how many shots are fired within, say, 10 seconds, rounds per minute would be easy to calculate. It's free too. Give it a try.

Mmmm.
    I'll look at my bank account but I think I might be able to afford "free" this month. :n00b:

Thank You.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Get Audacity, a free program. It will take your sound file and show you the wave form. You will have to listen, at any speed, to understand how the graphic corresponds to the sounds you hear, but you should be able to quickly count the spikes and it will display them on a timeline. The calculation should be easy.

Top Bottom