• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I'm looking at several places, but wondering right now about the outskirts of Bloomfield. But I wonder in general, how do you figure out if you can shoot in a particular place? The spot I'm looking at is near the jail.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Use to own 64 acres between Bloomfield and Solsberry up in a "holler". No issues due to terrain and location. Probably the same with yours.

Bob

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'm looking at several places, but wondering right now about the outskirts of Bloomfield. But I wonder in general, how do you figure out if you can shoot in a particular place? The spot I'm looking at is near the jail.

Contact the zoning/building authority along with local law enforcement.

If being able to shoot is a purchasing factor better verify before purchasing.

Many non-incorporated areas do not restrict shooting. Most incorporated areas do. Some areas surrounding an incorporated have jurisdictional regulations.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Marion county is ran by anti-gun democrats. They've talked about ending shooting in all of marion county before. As said above, subject to change at any time but democrat controlled areas would certainly effect my decision on where im buying. Not to mention crooks constantly raising assessment values unfairly as soon as the state put a property tax percentage cap.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Marion county is ran by anti-gun democrats. They've talked about ending shooting in all of marion county before. As said above, subject to change at any time but democrat controlled areas would certainly effect my decision on where im buying. Not to mention crooks constantly raising assessment values unfairly as soon as the state put a property tax percentage cap.

Got any proof of that allegation of "constantly raising assessment values unfairly"? I look at assessments a lot in central Indiana and that assessed value currently is usually below what they sell for. More often than not I would buy most property for its assessed value and resell for a profit. Not to say particular individuals may not be incorrectly assessed, but not on a mass scale.

If one buys a home, the taxes the previous owner paid are irrelevant, the assessed value usually is reset pretty close to the value of the sale. So do not think the previous owners tax level will be yours, count on 1% of what you pay if it is your homestead.

Also, with the cap law came a new system for keeping assessments current. That was a big issue with the inequities found by the courts, some areas kept up with assessments and others did not creating unequal tax treatment accross the state.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Got any proof of that allegation of "constantly raising assessment values unfairly"? I look at assessments a lot in central Indiana and that assessed value currently is usually below what they sell for. More often than not I would buy most property for its assessed value and resell for a profit. Not to say particular individuals may not be incorrectly assessed, but not on a mass scale.

If one buys a home, the taxes the previous owner paid are irrelevant, the assessed value usually is reset pretty close to the value of the sale. So do not think the previous owners tax level will be yours, count on 1% of what you pay if it is your homestead.

Also, with the cap law came a new system for keeping assessments current. That was a big issue with the inequities found by the courts, some areas kept up with assessments and others did not creating unequal tax treatment accross the state.
    You can argue with all the other residents of Marion county if you want. I think its a pretty widely known about racket

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My tax assessment is $50,000 more than I paid 6 years ago in Hamilton County.

and it probably should. Six yeats ago puts us where the market was just beginning to recover fron the dark ages. (08-12). Many properties in Hamilton county are easily up $50k.

Just looked at a mid level neighborhood in Fishers that sold at $250k in 2012, now selling at $305. Right in line with what you are being assessed.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    My tax assessment is $50,000 more than I paid 6 years ago in Hamilton County.

Argue it, get local comps of what like property's have sold for. You also can pay an appraiser or two to give you a written appraisal to take to the county.
    I did it last year and knocked hundreds off my property taxes, You have to do it every year in Madison Co so I would assume it the same where you live.
    I spent about an hour with the entire process.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You can argue with all the other residents of Marion county if you want. I think its a pretty widely known about racket

Just to confirm my asertations, I looked at about 40 properties that recently sold and found the vast majority of them assessed under the sale price, only about 4 were sold for less than assessed value. There was no commonality among the four. These were in all townships, from $700k-$19k. There is enough that is wrong to complain about that wanted to share that this is not usually one of them and if it is protest it and get it changed. If all the recent sales in your neighborhood are $140-$160k and you are assessed at $195 you likely will win that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Argue it, get local comps of what like property's have sold for. You also can pay an appraiser or two to give you a written appraisal to take to the county.
    I did it last year and knocked hundreds off my property taxes, You have to do it every year in Madison Co so I would assume it the same where you live.
    I spent about an hour with the entire process.

There must be something in the sales near you for it to occur every year? Do they give you any idea why they increased it?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Just to confirm my asertations, I looked at about 40 properties that recently sold and found the vast majority of them assessed under the sale price, only about 4 were sold for less than assessed value. There was no commonality among the four. These were in all townships, from $700k-$19k. There is enough that is wrong to complain about that wanted to share that this is not usually one of them and if it is protest it and get it changed. If all the recent sales in your neighborhood are $140-$160k and you are assessed at $195 you likely will win that.
    Do you work for uncle sugar or something? Or are you a real estate agent that loves selling in marion county? Are you a property owner in marion county? I AM. Whats your game?
    You know as well as I do that in a hot market assesed value or true property value has NOTHING to do with what it sells for. Hell people are making offers over asking prices right now just to entice sellers to take their offers over other buyers. So you can believe whatever you want to. I stand by what I said.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do you work for uncle sugar or something? Or are you a real estate agent that loves selling in marion county? Are you a property owner in marion county? I AM. Whats your game?
    You know as well as I do that in a hot market assesed value or true property value has NOTHING to do with what it sells for. Hell people are making offers over asking prices right now just to entice sellers to take their offers over other buyers. So you can believe whatever you want to. I stand by what I said.[/QUOTE

What is "true value"? Never heard that term before. Tha value of property is what a ready willing and able, arms length, buyer will pay. So if a property sold for a price as above, that is its value. Assessed value is something the country does and recent sales are part of the calculation to keep it from being subjective. I have seen many assessed values decline as neighborhood values declined during the downturn.

If your property taxe assessment is wrong you should protest it.

Top Bottom