• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I bought a bit of ammo late last year while CCI was offering a mail-in rebate. It arrived yesterday, and I am quite frustrated.

They sent it as a prepaid Mastercard. :xmad:

I would be fine if they had disclosed this in advance, but they chose not to. And I looked for it, because I hate these stupid things. These cards are a scummy thing for a company to use, because they are designed for the company not to actually pay out the full amount that they promised. Vista's hope is that you misplace the card, forget about it until after it expires (which is less than a year), or fail to use the full balance. They keep the difference. If you go to the rebate site now, it still doesn't mention that they use these cards.

I consider this a violation of integrity. I see this as Vista Outdoors lying in their advertising for months on end. They said they were going to give me money back; instead they gave me something that, with a bit of effort on my part, can sometimes be used as money. It's close, but it isn't the same thing.

Is this a dealbreaker to where I am going to boycott all Vista products? No, probably not. First world problem? Yeah, definitely. But I think less of them now, and the next few times I order bulk ammo, you can bet I'm going to pick another company.

And I know of no better way to fix bad behavior by a company than to have one of their customers call out that bad behavior in a public forum full of other customers. :ingo:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm sorry, I'm not seeing a problem here....
    If they promised to give you for example $20 in rebate, and they send you a $20 prepaid card. How did they not fulfill thier promise? If the cars can be used any where credit cards are accepted, then spend the 20 on Amazon, or Midway, or at your local Brock and mortar shop.

If you can use the card any where it sounds to me like you are describing the opposite of a problem.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just make a point to burn it up next grocery trip. Not sure why but a common thing is to say I'm saving it to use for X, and as you note, forget and never use it.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    The other option would have been a check which is nothing more than a promissory note that one could just as equally argue is not giving money back without the burden of finding somewhere to cash it. When I received mine it was accepted at the market towards groceries that week. I'm pretty sure using the card was less of a burden than getting the grocery to accept a Vista check made out to me.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If they give me a check, I can turn it into money. Two photos with my phone.
    They gave me a card, which can sort of be used like money (so long as I remember the exact value for the cashier to type in). I've yet to find a non-business listing in the INGO classifieds that mentions taking prepaid Mastercard as payment.

I'll use the card to put a gift card balance on my Amazon account. (But that will have to wait a week, because adding the card to my Amazon account put a hold on part of the balance.)

My issue is that what they did doesn't match what they said. Most mail-in rebates tell you if they are going to use these stupid cards. This one didn't.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Have you ever heard the phrase “making a mountain out of a molehill?” If you use Amazon, use the Vista balance to buy yourself a gift card balance in your Amazon account. That gift balance never expires so you can take as long as you like to spend it, plus Amazon will keep track of it for you. Simple.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Have you ever heard the phrase “making a mountain out of a molehill?”

Integrity is about the little things.

Again, the issue isn't the card. The issue is that they didn't disclose that they would be using the stupid card.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I should be getting one pretty soon as well from them. I figured it would be a prepaid card. Probably just put it on Amazon.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I never have any of these issues because I never fool with the stupid rebates.

When they disclose that they are going to use these prepaid cards, I don't fool with the rebates either. So their decision not to disclose caused me to take 20 minutes to do the rebate initially, and then it's going to be another 15 minutes between activating the card, adding it to my Amazon account, looking up the full value (because of course they didn't print that anywhere when they sent it), and then buying an Amazon gift card.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    What difference does it make?

Are you intentionally ignoring the several reasons I've already given?
    • I can't turn it into cash
    • I can't use it to pay most of my bills, at least not without an additional fee
    • It expires (which money doesn't)
    • It takes extra work to get the full promised value
    • It isn't accepted as money in nearly as many places

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Did they say it would be a check? Or did you assume it would be a check because they didn’t disclose the form of payment?

"Rebate paid in U.S. funds only" is their only line referencing how it would be paid. A Mastercard that can't be turned into cash is not U.S. funds.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Sell it to a pal for the face value for cash.

If your bills accept master card, why wouldn't they accept this?

If you use it in a timely manner then the exp date is moot.

If you shop online with it, it should take as long as putting in any CC info.

I would imagine it would work at any store that accepts master card.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    When they disclose that they are going to use these prepaid cards, I don't fool with the rebates either. So their decision not to disclose caused me to take 20 minutes to do the rebate initially, and then it's going to be another 15 minutes between activating the card, adding it to my Amazon account, looking up the full value (because of course they didn't print that anywhere when they sent it), and then buying an Amazon gift card.

Next one you don't want please feel free to mail me the rebate card or the receipt, barcode and necessary paperwork to me.
    I'm more than glad to spend 5 minutes filling out the needed paperwork and put it in my mailbox. I will think of you and give a little grin when I fill up my truck with fuel for the cost of a stamp and a few minutes of my time.
    Believe me, it's not a real world problem for me. I know how to use one without registering it.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Sell it to a pal for the face value for cash.

Want to buy it? There is no "face value."

If your bills accept master card, why wouldn't they accept this?

My electric company doesn't take CCs without a fee. My insurance companies all charge a fee for making multiple payments. Nobody takes CCs for rent or a mortgage. Years ago I put one of these on my cell phone bill, but my employer has since started providing phones.

If you use it in a timely manner then the exp date is moot.

If you shop online with it, it should take as long as putting in any CC info.

I would imagine it would work at any store that accepts master card.

If I do something, then one of the limitations is moot. That's exactly my point, too.

Not many online shopping places accept split payments. I would have to leave some money on the card, which is money Vista keeps after promising it to me.

Yes, it can be used like money some places. That's not the same thing as money.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom