John Lott On How TV Demonizes Gun Owners...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "The push to demonize private gun ownership never stops. Michael Bloomberg and other gun control advocates are continuing to pour hundreds of millions of dollars into research that the news media uncritically disseminates.

Entertainment television shows are no less one-sided.
    Americans use guns defensively about 2 million times a year — about 5 times more frequently than guns are used to commit crimes. But don’t expect to see gun owners saving the day on television. Instead, gun owners are bigoted, hotheaded, and dangerous."

https://townhall.com/columnists/joh...ze-private-gun-ownership-never-stops-n2544509

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It sounds like the entertainment shows are almost as misleading as the news broadcasts.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It sounds like the entertainment shows are almost as misleading as the news broadcasts.
    Say what?! You mean there aren't daily running gun fights most every day between the police and bad guys? The police don't madly shoot down the street at fleeing cars?:faint:

Next you'll tell me that one bullet won't kill someone most every time, unless of course it is the good guy actually getting hit.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Another good reason not to watch tv.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I quit watching broadcast TV and the cable channels similar to them years ago. I have an enormous film library. I think I'll watch Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (1922), The Big House (1930), Little Casesar (1931), The Public Enemy (1931) Scarface (1932), and The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (1933) next.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Say what?! You mean there aren't daily running gun fights most every day between the police and bad guys? The police don't madly shoot down the street at fleeing cars?:faint:

Next you'll tell me that one bullet won't kill someone most every time, unless of course it is the good guy actually getting hit.

Can someone explain where the hammer is on a Glock so I can cock it whenever tension rises? And where is the adjustment that keeps guns from ejecting a cartridge or she'll if one wants to rack it again, usually used to scare people...

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Can someone explain where the hammer is on a Glock so I can cock it whenever tension rises? And where is the adjustment that keeps guns from ejecting a cartridge or she'll if one wants to rack it again, usually used to scare people...
    Maybe hollywood armorers could answer that. I've seen that done with TV rifles too. It seems that you have shake it while gesturing with it and then a rattle inside it goes "ka-shak", kind of like what a rattlesnake does

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

Only watched a few of the resurrected MacGyver series out of sheer curiosity, plus I'm a die hard fan of Swiss Army Knives ("never leave Earth without it"). His sidekick, Jack Dalton (who has a completely different role compared to the original series), repeatedly racks the slide on his H&K P30 pistol, and not once does it ever eject a cartridge. First time I saw that I wondered to myself if he knew the pistol had no ammunition in its magazine. :D

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Only watched a few of the resurrected MacGyver series out of sheer curiosity, plus I'm a die hard fan of Swiss Army Knives ("never leave Earth without it"). His sidekick, Jack Dalton (who has a completely different role compared to the original series), repeatedly racks the slide on his H&K P30 pistol, and not once does it ever eject a cartridge. First time I saw that I wondered to myself if he knew the pistol had no ammunition in its magazine. :D
    and a broken slide-stop too

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Yeah, I love how on any police or spy based show, the first thing that happens when the gun comes out of the holster is that they rack the slide. Unless they're attacked and have to draw and shoot, then they always magically have one in the chamber. The worst thing is always the hammer cocking sound being made for a Glock. Whole lotta fail in Holliweird... :ugh:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have long believed that commodity-grade network TV functions as a soft tool for social and narrative control. The audiences are massive, the studios know it, and they use that to massage public opinion and instruct people on what to think. Hence, all civilian gun owners being portrayed as either criminals or racist, violent buffoons. Like most wealthy, powerful, and highly educated people, the studio heads and showrunners at these networks look down on people like you and don't believe you should be trusted with the power of being armed.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have long believed that commodity-grade network TV functions as a soft tool for social and narrative control. The audiences are massive, the studios know it, and they use that to massage public opinion and instruct people on what to think. Hence, all civilian gun owners being portrayed as either criminals or racist, violent buffoons. Like most wealthy, powerful, and highly educated people, the studio heads and showrunners at these networks look down on people like you and don't believe you should be trusted with the power of being armed.
    I think you are correct. I've noticed a few themes that run through TV in the recent past. One has been how all of the cameras in the world are such a good thing, because it helps the police catch the bad guys so quickly. I've also seen shows complain about encrypted phones and messaging.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

You are very correct in your belief, the left won the cultural war and I say TV won it for them. I frequently see quotes from Hollywood types celebrating and patting themselves on the back for messages they thought the public needed to see. Media has enormous power and has wielded it against everything this country was founded for with success...

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Wife is watching New Amsterdam. Show starts out with a family driving down the street and randomly fired on by a rifle a couple times. Of course the mom and kid are shot.
    What are we going to do about these evil rifles?

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    :):

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    "The push to demonize private gun ownership never stops. Michael Bloomberg and other gun control advocates are continuing to pour hundreds of millions of dollars into research that the news media uncritically disseminates.

Entertainment television shows are no less one-sided.
    Americans use guns defensively about 2 million times a year — about 5 times more frequently than guns are used to commit crimes. But don’t expect to see gun owners saving the day on television. Instead, gun owners are bigoted, hotheaded, and dangerous."

https://townhall.com/columnists/joh...ze-private-gun-ownership-never-stops-n2544509

You forgot deplorable.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Wife is watching New Amsterdam. Show starts out with a family driving down the street and randomly fired on by a rifle a couple times. Of course the mom and kid are shot.
    What are we going to do about these evil rifles?
    NCIS LA had a White Supremacist that was going to do an attack like the one in Vegas. He had about a dozen different "assault weapons" and was going to shoot down into a crowd with them. He didn't have bumpstocks though. Then again he didn't need them, since I'm sure they were all autos.:rolleyes:

Of course the wonderful NCIS agents stopped him before he was able to kill all of the innocents.

Top Bottom