• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    We own 10+ acres in Trafalgar (Johnson County) outside of the city limits and are building a house on the property. There are no covenants or restrictions, we're not in a subdivision or anything like that. I intend to take some of the dirt from the basement and build a large backstop for a shooting range for personal use, just the wife and I.

Q1) Where should I research for local "shooting sports" ordinances just to be on the safe side?

I will likely inform the neighbors so as not to alarm them and will likely send them a text prior to usage just to be a good neighbor. Our property is also near the Apple Works orchard which will likely concern them and their business guests. I want to be a good neighbor but also have wanted a shooting range for many, many years.

Q2) Any thoughts or experience on dealing with neighbors and\or neighboring businesses?

Mike

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Im not really to far from your location. Im actually closer to town really about 2 miles. Have a large parcel of propery and have never had a problem. Even run some full autos from time to time out here. Trafalgar people dont care lol. You will not be the only one shooting also. Friends of mine live two homes south of appleworks and they blast all the time.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    What will be behind/beyond your backstop?

I'm planning to build the shooting area facing a hillside so that I'm shooting in a downward angle into a 6-7' earth backstop. Beyond that will be trees and beyond that is farm fields. I want to be sensitive to the direction I'm shooting so as not to direct fire towards any homes.

I'm planning on calling the sheriff's office and ask them for guidance as well.

Mike

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    @Sparky, I figured folks out in this area wouldn't care but I wanted to gather some feedback from others just to be well informed.

Mike

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    It's good to see you are trying to be a courteous neighbor even though you don't have to. I can shoot legally in my back yard all I want, but I try and limit it since it it close to the neighbor's. I even thought about buying supressors. Alot of people think "it's my property I can shoot all I want legally and if the neighbors don't like it they shouldn't live there." That's true, but who wants to be having a cookout with friends and family and hearing gunfire right next to you.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's good to see you are trying to be a courteous neighbor even though you don't have to. I can shoot legally in my back yard all I want, but I try and limit it since it it close to the neighbor's. I even thought about buying supressors. Alot of people think "it's my property I can shoot all I want legally and if the neighbors don't like it they shouldn't live there." That's true, but who wants to be having a cookout with friends and family and hearing gunfire right next to you.
    What is right next to you? You can hear gunfire for a long way.

It doesn't bother anyone near me that I am aware of. My neighbors were just asking me why I hadn't been out shooting more. :):

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm planning to build the shooting area facing a hillside so that I'm shooting in a downward angle into a 6-7' earth backstop. Beyond that will be trees and beyond that is farm fields. I want to be sensitive to the direction I'm shooting so as not to direct fire towards any homes.

I'm planning on calling the sheriff's office and ask them for guidance as well.

Mike
    Excellent. I wouldn't worry about any of the other stuff then, except maybe to invite some neighbors over to shoot.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    What is right next to you? You can hear gunfire for a long way.

It doesn't bother anyone near me that I am aware of. My neighbors were just asking me why I hadn't been out shooting more. :):

Within 125 yds.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I used to own 5ac in Trafalgar near 500w and 135 and could hear people shooting pretty regularly. Apple Works is a bit south of that area but I can't imagine it would be much different. I didn't have a good backstop, and had a property with horses kind of behind me so I never shot there.

Top Bottom