• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I recently read where 124 grain was more accurate than 115 grain.

Is 147 grain more accurate than 124 grain?

I want “more accurate” for this summer when I hope to do some steel shooting.
    In practicing on Spr. Brk. I found it was possible to fire 4-5 rounds at a steel target before hitting it, with clock running and someone watching.
    And this is with my accurate Shadow 2*♂️

TargetSportsUSA has all three for sale for $180/1000 rds.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    At the distance steel matches are shot the "accuracy" of the ammo probably won't make much difference.

The recoil impulse effecting how quickly you can get back on target is a larger factor and "I think" the general consensus is that the heavier weight rounds have a softer recoil impulse.

I use Federal's 150 gr Syntech ammo in my Shadow 2 for steel matches. It is more expensive but I like it. TargetUSA is out of stock at the moment...https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fed...uger-ammo-150-grain-tsj-ae9sjap1-p-83051.aspx

In reality there are many shooters using cheaper ammo that beat me at every match.

Try some 124gr and 147gr ammo and see what you like.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll echo the above post. At the distances for Steel Challenge, trigger control and sight picture will have a much greater effect on hitting the target than what ammo you have in the magazine.

With that said, make sure your pistol is sighted in. Also, guns like some ammo better than others. Just find a brand your pistol likes and go with it. The lighter the bullet, the faster your follow up shots can be. Heavier bullets (147 vs 115) will tend to shoot higher even at a short(er) distance.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'll echo the above post. At the distances for Steel Challenge, trigger control and sight picture will have a much greater effect on hitting the target than what ammo you have in the magazine.

With that said, make sure your pistol is sighted in. Also, guns like some ammo better than others. Just find a brand your pistol likes and go with it. The lighter the bullet, the faster your follow up shots can be. Heavier bullets (147 vs 115) will tend to shoot higher even at a short(er) distance.

I had heard the 124 grain would shoot higher.
    Next time at the range I’m going to try some 124 grain with my “new”
    SW 5906 that is shooting low & left : hoping it’s the cure for the vertical.
    The horizontal cure involves a hammer! *♂️ Not kidding. *♂️

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It also has alot to do with the gun itself. My G19 groups better with 124s, but others are fine with 115s.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

The longer the bullet spends in the barrel, the more it's effected by recoil. Thus the higher they tend to shoot.

My 3913 shot really low with 115's. Even with 147's it shot low. A taller front sight is what it needed but I sold it before I replaced it. And a hammer may not be enough to drift the rear. A sight pusher will be your best bet.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    best thing you can do is get some of each and test it in your gun. there's no one right answer to this question.

that said, I suspect some time spent dryfiring and working on trigger control and sight alignment are more important than bullet weight if you're having trouble hitting steel under time and peer pressure.....

-rvb

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Everyone has a different definition of accuracy. Everyone has a different need for a firearm. That is why there are so many different firearms, bullets, and powders.

The lighter the bullet the faster the recoil impulse is over. Some people like that. Others like a slower more of a push that a heavy bullet delivers.

115grn 9 vs 124. The 124 have a larger bearing surface generally leading to better accuracy.

Shooting in the dark if you don't hand load.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    With my particular P08 Luger, 124gr was noticeably more accurate than other weights. Other guns will have different preferences - best advice is to just try out a variety and go with what works best for you. There are no hard and fast rules, but handgun bullets with unusually short bearing surfaces tend to be less accurate.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Centerfire handguns don't seem as picky about ammo as rifles. At least mine don't.

I do have one handgun that loves S&B 124 grain. One ragged hole at 15 yards. Anything else and it shoots groups just like any other handgun I own. I've tried other 124 grain and nope. Same as everything else. I don't know what it is about that one particular brand.

When it comes to action steel, learn your hold over then aim high right! :):

ranger391xt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    West Lafayette
    I have an S&W 659 which is the previous generation to your 5906. I shoot 125 gr truncated cone bullets that I cast and loaded over 3.6 grains of titegroup and I hit an 8" going 15-18 yards out pretty consistently. I also cast a 124 gr round nose bullet, and load it over the same powder charge, and it shoots very well also.

I realize you dont reload, but thought I'd share that info.

My 659 has the adjustable rear sights which I really like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Every gun is its own animal. You're going to need to go through quite a few different brands and bullet weights to find out what your gun likes, unless you reload in dial it in yourself.

I wouldn't necessarily consider any specific weight in 9mm to have an inherent accuracy advantage unless you're shooting at distances beyond 100 yards, where a bit higher BC might make your life easier. What's going to matter is the consistency of the ammunition, and what grain of bullet your sights are dialed in for.

When you find a load your gun likes, it's going to stand out rather obviously. If you're doing your part it'll usually print a ragged hole. I've had some guns that didn't perform any better with the best ammunition you can buy vs cheap bulk pack ammo, and other guns that heavily favored a specific lot. My tavor absolutely loves PMC 223A above all else and I'm still baffled about that one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The longer the bullet spends in the barrel, the more it's effected by recoil. Thus the higher they tend to shoot.

My 3913 shot really low with 115's. Even with 147's it shot low. A taller front sight is what it needed but I sold it before I replaced it. And a hammer may not be enough to drift the rear. A sight pusher will be your best bet.

SShhhhhh.....let him beat on it...:):

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

Try relaxing your fingers and being smooth on the trigger. Tense fingers will push the gun low and left.

Top Bottom