Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

9mm What grain for accuracy?

I recently read where 124 grain was more accurate than 115 grain.

Is 147 grain more accurate than 124 grain?

I want “more accurate” for this summer when I hope to do some steel shooting.
    In practicing on Spr. Brk. I found it was possible to fire 4-5 rounds at a steel target before hitting it, 😂 with clock running and someone watching.
    And this is with my accurate Shadow 2🤷*♂️

TargetSportsUSA has all three for sale for $180/1000 rds.

Expert

User Info Menu

At the distance steel matches are shot the "accuracy" of the ammo probably won't make much difference.

The recoil impulse effecting how quickly you can get back on target is a larger factor and "I think" the general consensus is that the heavier weight rounds have a softer recoil impulse.

I use Federal's 150 gr Syntech ammo in my Shadow 2 for steel matches. It is more expensive but I like it. TargetUSA is out of stock at the moment...https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...1-p-83051.aspx

In reality there are many shooters using cheaper ammo that beat me at every match.

Try some 124gr and 147gr ammo and see what you like.

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

I'll echo the above post. At the distances for Steel Challenge, trigger control and sight picture will have a much greater effect on hitting the target than what ammo you have in the magazine.

With that said, make sure your pistol is sighted in. Also, guns like some ammo better than others. Just find a brand your pistol likes and go with it. The lighter the bullet, the faster your follow up shots can be. Heavier bullets (147 vs 115) will tend to shoot higher even at a short(er) distance.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>> www.ingunowners.com/forums/forum-support-suggestions/446735-posting-photos-imgur-ingo.html

Or here for Photobucket https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...-tutorial.html <<<<<<<<<

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

It's not the size of the ammo but how you use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    Jagee makes Beetlejuice look like a *****!

User Info Menu

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtanker View Post
    I'll echo the above post. At the distances for Steel Challenge, trigger control and sight picture will have a much greater effect on hitting the target than what ammo you have in the magazine.

With that said, make sure your pistol is sighted in. Also, guns like some ammo better than others. Just find a brand your pistol likes and go with it. The lighter the bullet, the faster your follow up shots can be. Heavier bullets (147 vs 115) will tend to shoot higher even at a short(er) distance.

I had heard the 124 grain would shoot higher.
    Next time at the range Im going to try some 124 grain with my new
    SW 5906 that is shooting low & left : hoping its the cure for the vertical.
    The horizontal cure involves a hammer! 🤷*♂️ Not kidding. 🤷*♂️

User Info Menu

Why is no one mentioning powder make and amount with the different pills?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sethr View Post
    Why is no one mentioning powder make and amount with the different pills?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    In this particular case, it wont be relevant as the OP doesnt reload. He speaking very genetically and in regards to factory loaded ammo.
    ...I blame Turbo -Everyone

User Info Menu

It also has alot to do with the gun itself. My G19 groups better with 124s, but others are fine with 115s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doddg View Post
    I had heard the 124 grain would shoot higher.
    Next time at the range Im going to try some 124 grain with my new
    SW 5906 that is shooting low & left : hoping its the cure for the vertical.
    The horizontal cure involves a hammer! 🤷*♂️ Not kidding. 🤷*♂️
    The longer the bullet spends in the barrel, the more it's effected by recoil. Thus the higher they tend to shoot.

My 3913 shot really low with 115's. Even with 147's it shot low. A taller front sight is what it needed but I sold it before I replaced it. And a hammer may not be enough to drift the rear. A sight pusher will be your best bet.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>> www.ingunowners.com/forums/forum-support-suggestions/446735-posting-photos-imgur-ingo.html

Or here for Photobucket https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...-tutorial.html <<<<<<<<<

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

rvb

User Info Menu

best thing you can do is get some of each and test it in your gun. there's no one right answer to this question.

that said, I suspect some time spent dryfiring and working on trigger control and sight alignment are more important than bullet weight if you're having trouble hitting steel under time and peer pressure.....

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast