• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Those aren’t technically an SBR. A stock that you can shoulder would make theses SBR’s, they are advertising AR Pistol builds

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    The kits shown are pistols, not Short-Barreled-Rifles. No stamp is required. Just don't add a fixed stock (pistol braces are ok), or a vertical fore grip and you're set.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just get the stamp and you'll never have to worry about the stupid laws again. Nothing beats a real sturdy stock anyway.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    So if I understand correctly, its not a SBR unless it has a rifle stock. If i use a "brace" its really an AR pistol, regardless of barrel lenghth?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    You can legally put it on a VIRGIN lower IF you build it as a pistol. You can put it on an 80% lower, again, IF you build it as a pistol.
    If you're building it as a pistol, can't you put it on any lower you want, and then put a rifle upper on it, and switch at will because no paperwork, serial number recording, or anything has been done since its a pistol not SBR? 80% or not is irrelevant I believe.

Edit to clarify that I hadn't thought about the 4473 designating rifle or pistol at point of sale, so there seems to be something about that to keep one from switching on a boughten lower. But not 80% I would still contend.

https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/considering-building-ar-pistol-heres-411/
    Decent article but two years old so they don't have the "oh I changed my mind again for the second (or is it the third) time" ruling for shouldering updated, but do go into a lot of detail.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If you buy a stripped lower receiver it's transferred as "other" on the 4473 and you can configure it any way you want. Pistol to rifle and back, or rifle to pistol and back.

If you start with a fully built pistol lower (regardless of whether it has an upper or not) it's transferred as a "pistol" and you can go from pistol to rifle and back.

If you start with an assembled rifle lower or full factory rifle then it's transferred as a "rifle" and you cannot legally take the stock off and turn it into a pistol. Are you likely to get locked up for doing so? Probably not, but by the letter of the law it's illegal.

That's why most people start with a pistol configuration if they are planning to get the stamp for an SBR. You can use it as a pistol while waiting for the stamp and just swap out the buffer tube and and add a stock after it's approved.

You cannot slap a sub 16" barrel upper on a rifle stock until you get the tax stamp.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Just bought one of their kits a few weeks back, 300AAC, needed the handguard trimmed .460” to put on a suppressor, put a different buffer tube on it, to get OAL over 26”

runs subs and supers, suppressed and unsuppressed. Decent quality kits, second one I built, they WILL charge shipping tho

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    If you buy a stripped lower receiver it's transferred as "other" on the 4473 and you can configure it any way you want. Pistol to rifle and back, or rifle to pistol and back.

Not quite. You must always start as a pistol to be able to "temporarily" change it into a rifle.

If the first thing you build with a virgin receiver is a rifle, it is to ALWAYS remain a rifle.

The parts I didn't quote are good though.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not quite. You must always start as a pistol to be able to "temporarily" change it into a rifle.

If the first thing you build with a virgin receiver is a rifle, it is to ALWAYS remain a rifle.

The parts I didn't quote are good though.

But the point is, there would be no way to know how the receiver started it's life. Tracing it back to the form 4473 would show it was transferred as "other." There's no way to prove the original configuration one way or another.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    But the point is, there would be no way to know how the receiver started it's life. Tracing it back to the form 4473 would show it was transferred as "other." There's no way to prove the original configuration one way or another.
    I understand that. All of my ARs are pistols, some are just currently in a rifle configuration temporarily.

But I don't want to gloss over details where a gun owner would do and then admit to doing something against the (law? Regulation? Same bad end result) and not even know it.

Top Bottom