• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Will the suppressor live on the .300 host 100% of the time? Will you ONLY shoot subsonic ammo? Will you be moving the suppressor around to other hosts? Is this your only foray into suppressors?

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Will the suppressor live on the .300 host 100% of the time? Will you ONLY shoot subsonic ammo? Will you be moving the suppressor around to other hosts? Is this your only foray into suppressors?

Tactically Fat: Yes: it will live on the .300 host. I will be shooting be shooting supersonic and subsonic, but mainly subsonic. This would be my first suppressor.

I was looking at a (AAC 762SD) suppressor.

Thanks for the reply and questions.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I think narrowing down the scope of things can absolutely help other more knowledgeable folks answer more betterer.

Shooting supersonic ammo pretty much relegates you to a .30 cal can - or one of the .46 cal Hybrid cans - like the SilencerCo Hybrid.

MY own personal opinion is that *I* would want the most versatility out of a suppressor as I could have if I were only going to have one.

Hopefully others will be along with suggestions!

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I have an AAC 762SD and it is effective and it is a good lower cost suppresser. It is heavier than more expensive suppressors, but on a shorter barrel, the added weight is not noticeable. I also have additional rifles with AAC muzzle devices to use the 762SD for .308 and .223. I would like to have a suppressor that could be disassembled, but it is not necessary as a few supersonic will blow out most of the residue.

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Jinks: Thanks, I did not realize you couldn't disassemble it. I saw one reviewer said you had to send it in to be cleaned between 500 and 1,000 rounds. Does that sound right to you?

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    The silencers that are made for pistol rounds and subsonic 300 blackout can be taken apart and cleaned. The silencers that support the big boy rounds like 300 win mag are fully welded. Pretty much any can will sound good with 300 blackout subsonics, so like it was previously mentioned, you should figure out what your other hosts would be. Do you plan to tuck the silencer under a hand guard, or are you running shorter than a 9" hand guard on the gun? The new dead air nomad is a 30 cal can that is under $1000 that is full auto rated with no barrel restrictions, but it won't fit under a rail.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Also if you aren't aware, the current wait time is 12 to 14 months after you establish a trust and get your ink fingerprints, passport photos, and $200 tax stamp sent in.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The silencers that are made for pistol rounds and subsonic 300 blackout can be taken apart and cleaned. The silencers that support the big boy rounds like 300 win mag are fully welded. Pretty much any can will sound good with 300 blackout subsonics, so like it was previously mentioned, you should figure out what your other hosts would be. Do you plan to tuck the silencer under a hand guard, or are you running shorter than a 9" hand guard on the gun? The new dead air nomad is a 30 cal can that is under $1000 that is full auto rated with no barrel restrictions, but it won't fit under a rail.

There are some exceptions, Griffin Optimus is one of them.

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Also if you aren't aware, the current wait time is 12 to 14 months after you establish a trust and get your ink fingerprints, passport photos, and $200 tax stamp sent in.

I just hope I'm still alive to enjoy it. Going on 72 In July. I'm mainly getting it for my son and grandson.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Jinks: Thanks, I did not realize you couldn't disassemble it. I saw one reviewer said you had to send it in to be cleaned between 500 and 1,000 rounds. Does that sound right to you?
    If you are shooting both supersonic and subsonic, there shouldn't be problems. If you have a .308 Winchester rifle, a few surplus 7.65 NATO rounds blow out most of the residue. I always use metal jacketed projectiles and I haven't used ammo with lead, plated lead or coated lead bullets.

I only have a few hundred rounds through the 762SD. Most of the rounds were .300 BLK subsonic mixed with a few full power .223 and .308 rounds. The subsonic rounds are quiet and the full powered rounds are quite a bit louder.

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    If you are shooting both supersonic and subsonic, there shouldn't be problems. If you have a .308 Winchester rifle, a few surplus 7.65 NATO rounds blow out most of the residue. I always use metal jacketed projectiles and I haven't used ammo with lead, plated lead or coated lead bullets.

I only have a few hundred rounds through the 762SD. Most of the rounds were .300 BLK subsonic mixed with a few full power .223 and .308 rounds. The subsonic rounds are quiet and the full powered rounds are quite a bit louder.

Jinks: Thanks,that's good to hear.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Is the $1k including the stamp? Nomad would be a fine can but remember it costs mid 700s and is direct thread. So you'd be over a grand by the time you chose your qd mount system. Do yourself a favor and don't buy some older model suppressor that weighs 18+ oz when you have the operating funds to buy something a little more innovative and lighter weight. Plus, this purchase by all practical purposes is a lifelong purchase. Once you have it, it's yours forever. Don't be that guy after waiting a year to get it to just wish within the first 6 months you'd bought something newer and lighter.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Rifle silencers don't need to be cleaned so long as you aren't shooting exposed lead through them.

My choices for a 300blk can would be something with a large diameter like the 1.75" offerings from Q, Sig or Dead Air. I'd personally go with a Dead Air Nomad, and that'll give you a lot of other good options should you decided to use it on other hosts later on. I also would look at the Q Trash Panda/ Half Nelson. If you want it to be more quiet than those offerings jump up to one of Q's longer options. The larger diameter silencers seem to be where it's at for 300blk subsonic use. I think the Q full nelson is the quietest can I've heard, I personally picked up a half nelson to save on length, and a Nomad in probably my next purchase.

zeebandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Is the $1k including the stamp? Nomad would be a fine can but remember it costs mid 700s and is direct thread. So you'd be over a grand by the time you chose your qd mount system. Do yourself a favor and don't buy some older model suppressor that weighs 18+ oz when you have the operating funds to buy something a little more innovative and lighter weight. Plus, this purchase by all practical purposes is a lifelong purchase. Once you have it, it's yours forever. Don't be that guy after waiting a year to get it to just wish within the first 6 months you'd bought something newer and lighter.

NyleRN: $1K just for the compressor.

Top Bottom