• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wish I had taken a picture.
    Decades ago, I saw a Sears and Roebuck catalog that had an advertisement for a revolver.
    I can't recall the maker, but it was not a major name, at least not now.

The ad went through all of the usual stuff from the manufacturer, but also contained a disclaimer at the bottom.
    The disclaimer was from the Sears catalog owners.

It said that although they sold advertisement space in the catalog to this company, they HIGHLY recommend that you NOT purchase this handgun.
    They went on to say that in the opinion of the Sears and Roebuck company, this should be considered as an unsafe firearm, even if new!
    They said it was cheaply manufactured, with substandard parts...

I could hardly believe how candid they were.
    You could tell from the disclaimer that Sears wanted exactly ZERO connection to this firearm, even though it was offered in their catalog.

Wish advertisers had that many scruples today.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Are any of these yet to be found in basements and attics?

View attachment 76553

During the time of that ad, registration was required for machineguns at the time of import, so those being sold by Service Armament Company (and others) were registered. Various war-time bringback machineguns are a completely different story though and are still being found - witness the very rare guns occasionally turned in at police "buybacks" and the various machinegun "parts kits" that are still showing up complete except for the receivers. The import of parts kits is still occurring, but they have to have demilled receivers AND barrels...and absolutely no one is bringing in WWII Jap stuff (for example).

Among other things, the 1968 Gun Control Act banned the import of military surplus arms (now repealed in part), created an entirely new NFA category called Destructive Devices, required a 90-day amnesty for registration of all types of NFA items, and recommended periodic recurring amnesties. The amnesty in 1968 was short (90 days) and not well advertised. Contrast that with the amnesty period for registering certain shotguns as Destructive Devices when BATFE reclassified them in 1994 - that amnesty period ran from March 1, 1994 to May 1, 2001. For these reasons, the NFATCA is pushing for a second amnesty registration period as allowed for in the 1968 Gun Control Act. You can see more information and add your name to the petition here:
    https://www.nfatca.org/amnesty.htm

Top Bottom