• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve got the original model, I used it a bunch when I had my PPQ. It doesn’t replace training, but it’s not a bad supplemental support item. It can provide useful feedback, but I found the answers it provided to correct issues didn’t always help.

Lately, it’s been sitting on a shelf unused.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I did not have a way to attach it to my pistol, I don't have a rail.

I got the G-Sight laser which goes in the barrel and lets you dry fire. It sends a momentary laser beam out with each trigger pull so you can see what you would hit.
    It works with a smart phone to record your hits on a target, will even 'keep score'. There are about four companies that make this setup, all use identical lasers.

After a few weeks of two to three times weekly it doubled my accuracy at the range. Really helped eliminate flinch.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    They have a new version coming out in about 2 weeks (I preordered it already) called the “MantisX 10 Elite” which adds a bunch of new features, including advanced holster draw statistics, target transitions, multiple shots, and a bunch more. For the holster draw stuff, you either need a holster that can accommodate a “light” or go with the magazine mounted attachment scheme.

One HUGE benefit of the MantisX system is that you can train with LIVE fire *or* DRY fire. In live fire, it also gives some recoil analysis which might be useful for recoil spring weight analyses, etc.

I tried the original version, and liked what I saw. The newer versions are much smaller, have longer battery life, etc. I am anxious to give it a good run for its money and really put it through its paces.

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Sounds like I might benefit from this product. Knowing there is a new version coming out is great info Doublehelix. Would love it if they drop the price of the original but that is not my historical level of luck. Thanks for all the feedback all.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    @harleymac1:

I think they are still keeping the original MantisX device, but are releasing new models in addition to the original. Here is a product comparison chart (X, X3, X7 and X10). The X7 is for shotgun, the X3 is the same as the original X, except it is the newer version of the hardware (smaller, more accurate, longer battery life), and then the X10 adds all of the competition features.

https://mantisx.com/pages/compare-mantisx-models-x3-x7-x10

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think this would be cool but knowing myself, I would probably not use it enough to warrant the purchase. In some areas of my life I am very disciplined. In others, not so much.:)

Maybe someone will sell an older version reeaallly cheap and I can give it a try.

trclark1525

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2019
    Goshen
    I bought the original model last summer from a dealer at a gun show. I really enjoyed having it around over the winter when I was much less motivated to go out and actually shoot. I think it's a great tool for working on your trigger pull and diagnosing shot anticipation. I ran it on my G19 and it worked great. My biggest complaint was I could not immediately practice draws with it without buying a baseplate adapter, so I was always limited to presentations and trigger pulls. Another issue or foresaw with buying a baseplate adapter was practicing reloads.

One of my favorite features about it is the ability to do live or dry fire practice. I have a tendency to still anticipate shots when I get out on the range, so Mantis X proved very useful for helping me stay aware and correcting that issue. It also proved to be very useful on my AR. Not so much with dry fire, but with live fire and tracking my movements. I'm a huge advocate for training and then spending money on other firearms accessories, but I would consider this a part of training. I bought mine for $80 and I would say it was worth every penny.

jstaylor62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2019
    Moore
    I like to use mine when I am practicing for the Glock Indoor League Matches. It allows me practice my rhythm for the 10 rounds in 15 seconds portions of the course of fire.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Sight alignment and trigger control. Dry fire is free. Try the dime drill.

Yep, for sure. This is not for everybody and it is not cheap. In my option, non-competitive shooters will not likely see as much benefit as those if us that compete. For the everyday, average shooter that is trying to learn basic sight alignment and trigger control, it would be difficult to justify the cost. But for those folks that are worried about fractions of seconds or accuracy at speed, this is a hard tool to beat in my opinion.

I usually think of these things as “gadgets” and not worth the expense. But when I tried it and saw all of the information it provided, I was definitely impressed. It is nice to see “why” the dime fell so you can make adjustments more quickly than just seeing that the dime fell and you know you have to work on something to keep it there.

Let’s take the draw analysis that is present in the upcoming X10 variant as an example:

It does not just measure the time from the buzzer sounding to the first shot, any shot timer can do that, but it actually breaks down *each* component of the draw: Time from the buzzer until you grab the grip, the time it takes to remove the weapon from the holster, the time it takes to bring it up to you eye (and the path taken), etc. This lets you see which part of the draw needs work, and allows you to break the process into its component parts so you know which you need for work on.

I also notice that my first shot from a draw tends to be the least accurate of my shots for a stage. Why? This tool might help me identify an issue with my draw that might help bring that shot into the A zone more consistently.

I think that this combined with self video analysis can greatly improve some people’s shooting. Again, not for everyone.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Mantis x3 took it to the range today was nice to get to see a little more how it works. I shoot better than it says I should i believe so can’t wait to see what I can do if I really study the results and try to improve.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom