• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    “Some people won’t know their gun was stolen for years,” Meeks said.

Really?
    What people, I go crazy if I put one in the wrong slot in the safe, and cant find it

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I grew up at the address where they found this in '60s. Over the years back then while crawdad hunting or fishing, my buddies and I found a loaded 38, 2 shotguns and a 22 rifle all turned in to the police back then. Shotguns were traced back to a canoeing accident (ironic, huh), the 22 back to a squirrel hunter and never did hear what happened to the 38.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    New law: All guns now have to be bio-degradable.

Sorry for all you Glock owners, turn them in to me and I will see they are disposed of properly...

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    “Some people won’t know their gun was stolen for years,” Meeks said.

Really?

Yes. A lot of people just have their firearms on a shelf in the closet under something like blankets to hide them. They aren't really gun people, so they just forget about them until they need the blankets (or whatever they used to hide the firearm) and notice it isn't there anymore. We take reports like this more often than you'd think.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Yes. A lot of people just have their firearms on a shelf in the closet under something like blankets to hide them. They aren't really gun people, so they just forget about them until they need the blankets (or whatever they used to hide the firearm) and notice it isn't there anymore. We take reports like this more often than you'd think.

A club member showed up last month and asked if anyone had found a gun. He had the description, serial number, and described the day he thinks he left it on the range. His shooting buddy was kicked out of club 5 years ago, so he hasn't seen it since 2013. Probably under a blanket or hidden in his house somewhere.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    I would be more than honored to find a stray gun, rifle, or shotgun, and adopt it in to my home as my own.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    "Officers discovered the gun was loaded and had another bullet in the chamber."

It would seem that it would make it a little crowded in there or am I missing something in the translation?

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    I guess they consider a loaded weapon to be one that has ammunition in the magazine?

I always considered a loaded weapon to have a round in the chamber - a loaded magazine doesn't change much, as a loaded magazine inside or outside of the gun doesn't make any difference if there is no round chambered.

But you're dealing with the media here, who are only fluently trained in gun control.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    "Officers discovered the gun was loaded and had another bullet in the chamber."

It would seem that it would make it a little crowded in there or am I missing something in the translation?
    In Indiana, a firearm is "loaded" even when it's technically unloaded but ammunition is nearby.
    ""Loaded" Defined Sec. 4. As used in this chapter, "loaded" means having any of the following:
    (1) A cartridge in the chamber or cylinder of a firearm.
    (2) Ammunition in close proximity to a firearm so that a person can readily place the ammunition in the firearm."
    Aside from Indiana's somewhat strange definition, you can tell that the sentence in question was definitely not written by someone familiar with firearms.
    If you think Indiana is strange with the definition of "loaded", Colorado is even more bizarre. If memory serves me correctly, in Colorado a firearm is "unloaded" if the chamber is empty, even if it has a loaded magazine in place.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I didn't realize Colorado had any common sense. My bad!
    As someone that has to deal with firearm safety on a regular basis (and dealing with some uneducated people with firearms), I tend to think of a firearm as being loaded even when it's not chambered. I don't even like having loaded magazines in close proximity in an environment that is supposed to have "unloaded" firearms (strictly for safety purposes). When dealing with experienced professionals, I generally don't worry if firearms are loaded. When dealing with the general public, I've witnessed way too many negligent discharges and been swept with loaded and chambered firearms on multiple occasions. People have the capacity to be incredibly stupid.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    Everyone has their worries, including people worrying about getting swept by unloaded weapons at a gun show. Least of my worries to be honest.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom