• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Went to check out today and discovered that the great savings at Target Sports is a little less great as of today. They're charging sales tax now.
    I knew it was coming and had been stocking up. I wish I had followed my instinct and doubled up on orders while they were still tax free.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Most if not all companies are moving in this direction due to case law making it a thing.

Get used to it and don't disparage a company because of it. I loved when people threw a fit about Palmetto doing it, but then again, they still have the best AR parts, cost:value ratio. OMG, my complete rifle kit now costs $300 instead of $280 because of tax! lol

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I don't see anything disparaging towards Target Sports in my comments. I know that Target isn't charging tax because they want to. I'm simply pointing out that their policy has changed.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    After SCOTUS decided South Dakota v. Wayfair, sales tax on online purchases is now the thing.

AND.... Aren't you keeping track of all of your untaxed out of state purchases and paying the appropriate use tax when you file you Indiana income taxes?;)

I took the OP's message in the spirit it was meant... just to let us know that another out of state business has knuckled under, and to expect a 7% cost increase.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The vendors I patronize online (amazon, Sam's Club) already collect Indiana sales tax, so I'm used to it.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Well I knew this would happen they (big Gov.) can’t get enough of our money. I always try to buy my reloading powder and primers for our local guy. With hazmat and shipping and adult signature and now taxes, Bobcat will see even more of my $$$.

Xrage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    NWI
    My last two online ammo purchases have been from SGAmmo.com. They charge you a relatively low shipping charge but there's still no sales tax added. I've gotten ammo cheaper there than from a website that charges tax with free shipping.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I wouldn't say online doesn't have any advantages. At least with Target Sports, the Prime membership will help keep the cost below what you can usually find in a local store, even with tax added on. Plus the UPS guy drops my ammo off on my porch which reduces how far I have to carry cases of ammo... :):

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indiana has had a slot on the tax form for several years now to self report any purchases from out of state, online vendors so you can pay the sales tax they feel you owe...

Right, you're supposed to pay those taxes whether the online vendor collects the tax or not. Been that way a long time, over a decade at least.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I wouldn't say online doesn't have any advantages. At least with Target Sports, the Prime membership will help keep the cost below what you can usually find in a local store, even with tax added on. Plus the UPS guy drops my ammo off on my porch which reduces how far I have to carry cases of ammo... :):

I love when the Big Brown Truck brings stuff to my front door, ammo included!

Right, you're supposed to pay those taxes whether the online vendor collects the tax or not. Been that way a long time, over a decade at least.

This "use tax" has been "required" for as long as I can remember.

Top Bottom