• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    So today I went to blow some of my monthly ammo budget at Walmart. I'm squinting at the ammo case 6 feet away with the "sporting goods" guy by me and we find some 9mm. Uh oh it's not brass. I say something like "nope only brass for me". I ask about a different box, 150 pack of Winchester 9mm. Good price. I get 3 boxes. It's a dark brown box with grey writing on it. Needless to say it doesn't have a ton of contrast.

I get home and lo and behold it's steel cased 9mm. Ouch. 3 boxes of something I just can't use in my current pistol. As we all know, ammo sales are final...

Like I said, mistakes are costly in this hobby. It's my fault for not seeing it but geez, between me saying "only brass" and the box basically being one solid dark color I'm a little annoyed. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and dont be afraid to open up boxed ammo and check it at the counter. Most are not sealed.

If the clerk balks remind him its an "all sales final" product, and so if you are going to buy it, you are going to inspect it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I dont shoot steel or aluminum cased ammo anymore(since i started reloading) but i never had an issue using it prior, in any of my firearms. Ran just as good as the brass cased for me

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    What gun are you trying to use it on? Itd have to be something really special for me to rather waste $80 worth of ammo than shoot it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    A gun that won't run cheap ammo is first in line to get sold to someone else.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    As everyone else said, shoot it. It shouldn't be a problem.

I don't reload (yet) so I prefer to shoot steel and aluminum cased ammo. No need to spend more than necessary for training rounds.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    In the long run I'm sure it wouldn't add up to much but ever since reading this article it really scared me.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

The barrels of the test guns were shot out in like 1/3 of the time using steel cased and I shoot for accuracy.

Specifically the gun I don't want to use it in is a new G34 that has about 400 rounds through it. I'm probably being more of a princess about it than I should be but seriously check out that article. It scared me off steel cased on any gun I plan to shoot for accuracy

Granted if I don't sell it I'll keep it around for when I have a cheaper range gun to play with but I plan to shoot competitions with my G34 so I'm trying to baby it a bit

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Barrel of the gun has nothing to do with the case. There are some foreign made rounds that have questionable material in the bullet jacket.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The steel case never touches any part of the barrel except the chamber. It can't cause a barrel to wear any faster than a brass case. Steel jacketed bullets, on the other hand might cause an issue.

Nepherael

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2019
    Mentone
    Barrel of the gun has nothing to do with the case. There are some foreign made rounds that have questionable material in the bullet jacket.

Yeah but isn't all steel cased ammo made with cheaper/dirtier material leading to worse carbon fouling and an overall effect of being very hard on your barrel?

I found that in that article they mentioned the barrels were heavily worn when shooting steel cased as well as being "shot out" with a very limited number of rounds.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Yeah but isn't all steel cased ammo made with cheaper/dirtier material leading to worse carbon fouling and an overall effect of being very hard on your barrel?

I found that in that article they mentioned the barrels were heavily worn when shooting steel cased as well as being "shot out" with a very limited number of rounds.

I haven't cleaned my competition glock 17 in 3 years. My hand gets grimey picking it up, and it's clean compared to a lot. Unless you're putting 10k plus a year you won't have an issue with shooting one out. Steel cased ammo is not all corrosive. I only shoot Bobcat in matches, but I feed it whatever is on sale when just hanging at the range

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    In the time that it will effect your barrel, youd save enough money to buy a brand new fancy barrel. So the way I see it. Free barrel...

Top Bottom