Electronic ear plugs, which one actually does well?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Bacon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    West Side
    Trying to find some electronic ear plugs that actually function properly and don't have tons of issues. Seems like Walkers Silencer line and Razor line have some good and bad reviews... Does anyone have any experience with them? Or any other suggestions for a better choice?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Axil ghost stryke! ~$140 out the door. The Walkers did not impress me much at all.

The only problem I've had with mine is when using power equipment. They can pick up rfi from motorized equipment. Normal shooting activities and they perform very good.
    They seem to stay put well, have a lanyard attachment loop thingie, two sizes of foam, two sizes of silicone cup ear adapters. I'd rather use the silicone but the foam plugs are noticeably quieter. Sweat resistant but not water proof.

I haven't had them long enough to wear all day yet. I hope battery life is as expected. They use a micro-usb charger.

There's two sets of controls, one on each end. The control with the switch is the main shooting suppression circuitry + volume up/dn. The other end has bluetooth pairing button & BT device volume up/dn.

https://www.goaxil.com/ghost-stryke-essential/

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have the new bluetooth walker silencers. I really like them. Perform well, solid battery life, nice convenience charging case.

I especially like the ability to control them and view battery life from my smartphone. I did have to use the largest ear piece to get a solid seal, but maybe I just have big ear holes :)

Tactical Bacon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    West Side
    I have seen where some people have stated the walkers don't compress the sound if the batteries are dead. So they don't work at all with no batteries?

Do you know what the dB attenuation is for the Ghosts?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I have seen where some people have stated the walkers don't compress the sound if the batteries are dead. So they don't work at all with no batteries? ...

The walker silencers block sound without batteries just as any earplug would but without batteries they will not amplify sound (so there is no louder gunshot to compress).

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've got a set of Walker Razor XV that are working well for me. I use them both on the range and when operating power equipment. They cut enough sound that the mower isn't annoying after doing the lawn.
    I like that they have individual volume controls for bluetooth and for ambient sound. I can turn the ambient mics off when running the mower.
    At the range, the electronic cut off works well specifically that it restarts amplifying quickly so if engaged in a conversation you don't miss words after the shot.
    Battery life is satisfactory. If I've charged it before heading out, I've never had the battery die during the time I needed them. I have left the power switch on, and they were dead when I went to use them several days later... If the battery is dead, they work as standard passive ear plugs, you just don't get amplification to hear conversation as easily.

The only 2 slight negatives I have are that the foam plugs aren't contoured and are harder that I would prefer. However this is more of an issue when inserting them. Once inserted they are comfortable enough and I can wear them for 2-3 hours at a time w/o issues.

Second, the bluetooth connection to my samsung S8 phone isn't solid with frequent disconnects and re-connects. This happens if the phone is more than a couple feet from the headset. i.e if I have the phone in my pocket or belt holster. If I have it in my shirt pocket the connection is solid. This is especially annoying shooting high power as it has a voice announcement indicating "device connected" every time it reconnects. I do want to point out that this happened with other headphones and there are lots of complaints about this model of phone so I'm not totally putting the blame on the headphones.

--Rick

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have seen where some people have stated the walkers don't compress the sound if the batteries are dead. So they don't work at all with no batteries?

Do you know what the dB attenuation is for the Ghosts?

• 29 dB NRR with Foam Tips (seems quieter to me than 29. Harder to insert but also a bit more secure. I'll stick with foam because I do not want them to come loose when moving & shooting. I'd prefer an over the ear hook if I could find one)
    • 22 dB NRR with Silicone Tips (seems about right. Much easier to insert but can get loose easier too. Not quite quiet enough for a very loud gun)

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    • 29 dB NRR with Foam Tips (seems quieter to me than 29. Harder to insert but also a bit more secure. I'll stick with foam because I do not want them to come loose when moving & shooting. I'd prefer an over the ear hook if I could find one)
    • 22 dB NRR with Silicone Tips (seems about right. Much easier to insert but can get loose easier too. Not quite quiet enough for a very loud gun)

Are the batteries user replaceable? Hate to spend that much coin on something that I will use up in a year. I could see me using them for work as well, if they lasted long enough.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Are the batteries user replaceable?...

From a review on their website...

"These are very good with an AR as muffs won’t allow the shooter to get his/her head down on the stock. Would have probably given it a 5 but asked customer service about the battery life and the expected number of recharges. They told me the battery is not replaceable. Was told they would get back to me and never did. Does this mean when the battery dies, I have to buy a new set for $150? If so, not such great product."

I'm guessing the battery would probably last 3-5 years so the cost of replacement may not be so bad. However, non-replaceable batteries on something I would like to last for a decade is a non-starter for me.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Non-replaceable batteries worries me a bit too but not as much as a decade ago. Fortunately, battery tech has improved over the last decade & lifespan has gone up well past 5 years.

A majority of consumer devices don't have removable batteries any more.

Google only shows a few sporting goods and safety type brick-n-mortor stores with these in stock. Most retailers are online.
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/6...ing+-+Ear+&+Eye+Protection&utm_content=685319

So, I'll walk back a little on the Walkers. They do make a neck band with retractable cords & those I liked. I don't own any but I tried them at NRAAM. Problem was they cost even more than the Axil.
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/3...electronic-ear-plugs-nrr-31db-flat-dark-earth

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    So, I've been to the range a few times wearing the new silencers. (Shot 9MM, 22LR, .223, 300BO, and 7MM RemMag) They are great for being able to hear the RSO and just be aware of whats going on around you. They have performed just as well as my Howard Leight Impact Sports. I wear prescription glasses so sometimes the over the ear muffs can't seal where my glasses arm is, with these no problem at all. I also like the much smaller footprint these have in my range bag.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Hop, does the GhostStryke just clip/compress the gunshot or do they block all amplified sound thus interfering with conversation on a busy range? [h=1][/h]

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Hop, does the GhostStryke just clip/compress the gunshot or do they block all amplified sound thus interfering with conversation on a busy range? [h=1][/h]
    I haven't tried them on a busy range yet. Only when I've shot 300 blk supers and 22LR by myself.

Mine are the cheaper $140 ones not the fancy $400 digital. I'll bet if you want to hear everything on a busy range, you'll need to pony up the cash for the digital version.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For that price, and Amazon Prime returns if they suck, Its worth a shot.

Update. The Walkers suck. A LOT. Just printed the return label.

I got to the outdoor range and the first thing I noticed is they are really sensitive to wind noise. Then I listened closer, and even turned down all the way the audio was distorted and "fuzzed out" like I was overdriving the speakers. (or that they had been overdriven and the cones were damaged) Except they were turned down all the way. I took them off immediately without firing a shot and put them away so they wouldnt be damaged.

Maybe I'll spring for the ones Hop suggested. It was nice not having to wear muffs. I just used my foams because I didnt need to hear any range commands because I was alone.

Top Bottom