• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I know where there's about 800 pounds of brass, mainly pistol and 223. How much is pistol brass? How much is 223?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It all values differently by cartridge type. The 9mm and 40 are less than say .357.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Dude, 800lbs?
    It's worth more than just a few bucks for scrap!

If you wanted to sort it by caliber you could get more.
    There are a few places that will buy brass from you.
    I'm not sure but Carolina Brass comes to mind.

Rifle brass, in good condition, will almost always get you more than pistol caliber, but not always.
    If you find more than just a handful of say .454 Casull, or .500S&W mag, or .460 anything...that stuff is almost as precious as gold.
    I have some Hornady .500 S&W brass that was near $1@ for new cases.

Like Leadeye said, if most of what you have is 9mm or .40S&W, it goes for cheap. We're talking I bought a 5 gallon bucket FULL of 9mm for $75.
    That was a couple of years ago, and it was a good price, but not a steal.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Yellow brass scrap value is around 1.64 a pound right now. That 800 pounds is worth about 1300 bucks to the right scrap buyer. Reloading value would be somewhere North of that depending on caliber and condition. :twocents:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm trying to decide if it's worth my time to buy it for $500 and spend the time to sort it...

I know there's 38,357,and 44 mixed in, but I don't know how much.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    After some more research it looks like gun brass scrap value is around 1.20 a pound. So about 1000 scrap value but it would be a waste to just scrap it. Sorting does sound tedious.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    800 Pounds of Brass?

I haven't seen that much brass together since the Rose Parade. :rolleyes:

There are tricks out there to sorting without taking up too much time.
    Obviously I don't know any of them other than getting my kids to do it. Unfortunately my kids are all older and wiser to be slaved anymore.

I bought a 5 gallon bucket of 9mm for about 75 bucks also not too long ago. It wasn't quite full but close. It was fresh range sweep. Kinda sorted but still had a few others mixed in. 380s, 10mm and 40s suck when you're sorting 9mm.

I haven't bought any strange brass yet but I'm going to get into 44mag shortly. :):

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    There's a shell sorter 3-stage set that works, and you can get a .380 plate to help with that. I have used it and it works, getting those annoying .40 and .380 out of my 9 mm brass efficiently. Kind of expensive, though, for what it is.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Where do you guys scrap your brass? Here in SE Indiana I tried to scrap a bunch of .22LR brass at a couple recycling / scrap yards and they would not take it. They said that for liability sakes they could not take any size brass casings scrap because there might be a live round in the batch.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Where do you guys scrap your brass? Here in SE Indiana I tried to scrap a bunch of .22LR brass at a couple recycling / scrap yards and they would not take it. They said that for liability sakes they could not take any size brass casings scrap because there might be a live round in the batch.

Goodman's in Bedford, but cartridge brass is a lower price than other brass at this location. My understanding is that they put it through a furnace that "pops" anything live before they sell it off to the smelter.

I've heard of a place in Columbus that buys cartridge brass too, a friend takes his there, but I don't know the details.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I collected about 1 and 1/4 5,gal bucket of brass and a bit of steel.
    I took it to the junk collector on RT20 just East of RT-49 Chesterton, In.
    I walked away with $85.00.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Goodman's in Bedford, but cartridge brass is a lower price than other brass at this location. My understanding is that they put it through a furnace that "pops" anything live before they sell it off to the smelter.

I've heard of a place in Columbus that buys cartridge brass too, a friend takes his there, but I don't know the details.

Thank you for the information - much appreciated. :yesway:

Top Bottom