ATF as a supplier of used firearms and parts...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The ATF maintains a facility for destroying firearms near Martinsburg WVa. They destroy firearms used in crimes, and also ATF firearms that are no longer used in service, e.g. when they switched from Sigs to some other model all the Sigs were sent to this facility and were destroyed. Well, supposedly destroyed.

A contract security guard who worked at the facility for 16 years took at least 3000 Glock slides, 40-50 semi-autos (or maybe 80), another 30 revolvers (that apparently were of a type used by ATF in the past),k some number of rifles, "bulk ammunition", NFA weapons, scopes, magazines and other firearms parts. The gummint says it recovered more than 4,000 firearms related items that he filched, but after reading through the news stories it appears that may not cover everything he took -- there may still be firearms and parts out there floating around.

His hobby came to light when the police recovered a "destroyed" glock slide during a traffic stop:

The federal investigation began in February after the Philadelphia Police Department recovered a firearm described as a “ghost gun” during a traffic stop, according to testimony by ATF Special Agent Seth Cox on Wednesday and court records.

The type of gun is also known as a Polymer 80 percent receiver, according to court records.

The slide on the firearm was from a Glock .40 handgun. The slide was traced by serial number back to the ATF facility as having been destroyed by the ATF, according to Cox and court records.
    [groan]

Not clear from the news stories or his agreement with the US Attorney exactly how long he was moonlighting as used arms dealer, but at least from 2016 to 2019. Given the volume, I would guess much longer. And nobody noticed. The internal controls at the ATF facility must have been … non-existent.

News article: https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/new...cle_a879d25e-9504-5130-813e-4b7717d5f74a.html

Copy of the defendant's agreement with the US Attorney: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.wvnd.46032/gov.uscourts.wvnd.46032.72.0_1.pdf

I'm sure this is the NRA's fault somehow.

And Trump's.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    So wait let me get this right...

Ultra Liberal A turns in his firearm to be destroyed to save the children. The government will ensure we are safe.

Rogue agent receives said firearm, sneaks the firearm out with no problem at all, and returns said firearm to the streets.

Ultra Liberal A had self control and the gun may have never been used in violence. Ultra Liberal A wanted to show how ultra Liberal he is to score points, now ultra Liberal A’s firearm is in the hands of god knows who.

Thanks, Ultra Liberal A.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I'm guessing the ATF's managerial competence and integrity have put more firearms in criminal hands than all the "gun show loopholes" since 1968.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Don't know what the fuss is about the only part that is destroyed is the serial-ed frame.Several companies are contracted to do this and sell off all other parts .One such company is EveryGunPart.com and they DO sell every part from the guns they destroy except the frame. Their are others also.

i also think that some sellers on this forum do it also from some of the stuff i see for sale

• :):

Top Bottom