• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm starting the hunt for the right piece of land right now in the Hendricks county area. I've got a good idea of what I want my range/berm/property set up to be but I'm looking for any info/tips from people who have already done this or have knowledge on the subject.

My intended usage would be 3-4 times a month with the possibility of being able to host instructors for rifle/pistol classes a couple of times per year.

Things you wish you would have known/thought of before buying land?
    Creative/cheap ways to source dirt for the berm?
    Laws to be aware of?
    Any special considerations/insurance needed to host classes?
    Anyone have issues with trespassers?

Any other general input would be welcomed.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I always wanted a pond on my land, figured if ever, the dirt would go to a backstop (3 sided at least). Having land with a hill would help too. What happens when you dig out for a pond but it does not hold water? Do you just have a muddy/dry hole. If dry, you would have range with backstop all around.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The obvious one is when you look at an area figure where bullets will go when they get over flatland berms, which they eventually will despite your best attempts.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    There were two gravel pits on my families farm ground that were used to build the original Boone county roads, we partially filled one in and built a berm from dirt that the county hauled in from cleaning up the edges of gravel roads, don’t think there’s any gravel roads left in Hendricks county but if you can find a project like that, including commercial buildings when they have extra, that would be the cheapest source of dirt, next would be building your own pond to source dirt but there’s permits, maintainence, etc with that.
    We shoot off the original berm of one pit into the the partially filled other with the built berm behind it, so pretty optimum, with a woods another 1/8 mile behind that.
    Hendricks county is getting pretty built up IMO and people and zoning could be a problem. Land around here is selling for 10k but rougher ground, say around Thorntown has sold for 6-7k recently.
    Those gravel pits are pretty common, google earth is your friend. You know, like that friend you have that makes your mind go numb.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There were two gravel pits on my families farm ground that were used to build the original Boone county roads, we partially filled one in and built a berm from dirt that the county hauled in from cleaning up the edges of gravel roads, don’t think there’s any gravel roads left in Hendricks county but if you can find a project like that, including commercial buildings when they have extra, that would be the cheapest source of dirt, next would be building your own pond to source dirt but there’s permits, maintainence, etc with that.
    We shoot off the original berm of one pit into the the partially filled other with the built berm behind it, so pretty optimum, with a woods another 1/8 mile behind that.
    Hendricks county is getting pretty built up IMO and people and zoning could be a problem. Land around here is selling for 10k but rougher ground, say around Thorntown has sold for 6-7k recently.
    Those gravel pits are pretty common, google earth is your friend. You know, like that friend you have that makes your mind go numb.

Thanks for the info, I was planning to talk to a few commercial builders I know and hopefully be able to source some dirt from them once I find something. Hendricks County is growing pretty quickly so that was a concern as well, but I'm hoping to find a piece of land that is well insulated by woods or land not conducive to building. Any info related to zoning or regulations that I should be aware of?

A few years ago I created this post to offer ideas to people considering their own range. I hope is is helpful to you as you start your planning.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...uild-your-own-range-hints-tips-pic-heavy.html

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The obvious one is when you look at an area figure where bullets will go when they get over flatland berms, which they eventually will despite your best attempts.

So true...no matter how good your intentions and forethought there'll still be a few that 'get-a-way'...especially if you're considering having other individuals over to use the range.
    Know what's on the other side and the risks involved...and how far the bullet (which caliber and ammo you are using) will travel prior to stopping.
    Personally, I prefer two (2) ranges...a shorter pistol range (75' max) and a longer rifle range (upwards of 150-300 meters) and be able to have them in two (2) different areas.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A) you'll need more soil than you think.

B) even more soil than that after you rethink A.

C) you'll need a ground cover for your soil or you'll get back to A) more quickly thank you anticipated.

If *I* had the land and the resources, I'd excavate a depression (that hopefully wouldn't hold water - HAH!). Then I'd sink/secure weather-treated surplus power poles down so that they're about 6' above ground. Then I'd put a layer of old tires over the poles - then pack with soil/sand. Then more tires...then more soil/sand. I'd try to do that to slowly build a "mound" that would serve as the backstop. In my head it works perfectly.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Thanks for the info, I was planning to talk to a few commercial builders I know and hopefully be able to source some dirt from them once I find something. Hendricks County is growing pretty quickly so that was a concern as well, but I'm hoping to find a piece of land that is well insulated by woods or land not conducive to building. Any info related to zoning or regulations that I should be aware of?

I go with the theory it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission, but where I’m at people are pretty cool, and most of the people around shoot. I also built mine for virtually nothing but time and a bit of fuel for the dozer, so if your pouring money into something you might feel the need to ask permission. I’m sure zoning contacts are online.

I’m definitely not commercial and won’t be. It probably helps that every bit of land for a two mile radius except a few small home plots have not changed families for 25-100 years.

Housing developments can build almost anywhere it seems, they have a big eraser next to their aerial pictures and can do what they want.
    Another thought that might help is to look for pipeline right of way areas, which seem to be thick in Hendricks, those can’t be developed, and while you could not build a berm on it it might facilitate shooting somehow and insulate you from development.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    From experience, don't overlook drainage. Learned that one the hard way.
    Good advice right here, whether you’re talking shooting range, horse farm, or house. It has to be done sometime and it’s so much more effective to do it first.
    I just can’t charge enough to go under those horse people’s fence.

Top Bottom